Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertical or Horizontal?  (Read 4010 times)
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »

Hi Bruce.  We're located in the NC mountains near Fleetwood, 15 miles outside of Boone.  Checked your location and we almost bought a house on 197 up on the ridge where the road turns back to pavement from gravel.  At our location, the woods are thick and I'll be using an inverted Vee cut for 40M on 40M and above.  Coax to an automatic tuner mounted under the eaves and ladder line to the Vee.  I've used the same setup many times on vacations and had no problems working DX on CW.  Our place is at 3,200 feet with some 5,000 foot ridges not far away. 

73, Floyd - K8AC
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »

Hi, Floyd

It looks like I'm probably going to get an abandoned telephone pole between 30 and 35' high, unless the line crew come by to take it when I'm not home.  I'm retired and home most of the time, though.

I was thinking of a vertical on the pole and an inverted vee 30' in a tree.  I have the room for a half wave inverted vee on 80 meters.  I would like to be able to use 10 - 80 meters, maybe even 160, as my HF rig (Kenwood 820s) covers those bands.  What bands should I allocate to which antenna?  Local and DX is my plan, or is that too ambitious?  I can afford a decent vertical, but not a beam and rotator setup right now.

KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »

I have a center fed 100' doublet and a ground mounted Butternut Vertical with radials for all bands. It's a 50/50 proposition on which one is best on any band. On any given band, the vertical is usually better for long hops and the horizontal for shorter hops. Maybe I have good conductive dirt/clay under the vertical because as far as noise goes they are about the same. One discovery was that all verticals as with yagis, were not created equal.

A down side of the vertical is in being omnidirectional. I have been in QSOs with western Pacific stations while I was being called by European stations. A directional antenna does have some advantages.

On ten meters, F2 contacts are better on the vertical than a my old 3 element Yagi at 35'. Sporadic-E contacts were better with the yagi.

My suggestion would be to have both a vertical and horizontal. Armed with a small pocketbook and forced to pick one, I would opt for a ground mounted Vertical with a radial field.         
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: