Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALS-600 load faults  (Read 2760 times)
KG8JF

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:32:50 AM »

I work mostly digital modes on 20 meters and above.  I check in to Southcars 4 or 5 times a week on 40 meters.  My ALS-600 faults out on 40 and 20 ssb.  Often it will load ok, but the first time I hit the mic, it immediately faults.  I have a new dummy load inbound to check the amp into a guaranteed 50 ohm load.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:49 AM »

I don't know if this is your problem, but many new radios have leading edge spikes.  My Yeasu FT-857 has a 160w leading edge spike!  If your radio has these spikes it cn easily shut down an amp on overdrive.  Doe your amp fault tell you what the fault is or does it just fault and you don't know why?  Sometimes even ALC doesn't  help.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »

One thing to try is disconnecting the ALC. Set the maximum power using the mic gain.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »

if it still does this into a dummy load then you are either overdriving the amp (too much power or spike) or the alc is not working/adjusted correctly.  If all ese fails I would call Ameritron to get some answers.  I had one of those amps for a couple of years and found that mine was a little touchy when the antenna SWR exceeded 1.5:1.  With a solid state amp it's mandatory that the ALC be connected to the exciter and adjusted in accordance with the manual.
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »

Thanks for the heads up as to ALC.  First off, as to you statement about it being mandatory that ALC be utilized on all solid state amplifiers, I have never paid much attention to ALC, to my discredit, maybe.  I use a Tentec Orion, original and I don't find an ALC jack on the radio.  In any event I looked up some threads on "ALS-600 and ALC.  I made some settings and adjusted from there.  I can now use the amp on 40 meters.  The control on the rear panel is all the way to the left and the front panel control is up to about 4 or 5.  I am not sure what is going on but the fact that you mentioned ALC caused me to further investigate and get things going.  I intend to dig into it a bit more to sort out what is going on. Tnx agn Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: