Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF is Sooooo Dead Lately  (Read 1516 times)
KQ6UP

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »

Is my radio broke or are the bands just extremely dead?

Wink

Chris KQ6UP
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »

Now's the time for CW...
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 12:29:51 PM »

What do you think?
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »

I'm not sure, but even the CW sub bands are VERY quite over here on the left coast.  Maybe 1 or 2 stations on.  during the day.  There is absolutely no one on, and I can hear WWV just fine.

Chris KQ6UP
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »

I am resending because my original message had several horrendous typos in it.  ;o)

I'm not sure, but even the CW sub bands are VERY quiet over here on the left coast.  During the evening, there are possibly 1 or 2 stations on. In the daytime, I don't here any stations at all, and I can hear WWV just fine.

Chris KQ6UP
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »

Sometimes it is what it is...
NG3Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 05:08:05 PM »

I agree. I just bought a new rig two weeks ago and I actually ended up putting it on the bench to check that it really was working properly (it was).

Combine the dead bands, with my poor attic antenna, and my house being surrounded by noisy power wires I'm really having a tough time getting back on the air. My wife promises our next (and last) move will be out of a development and to a good radio location.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »

And what bands are you talking about?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 03:37:21 AM »

WWV broadcasts simultaneously on five distinct frequencies: 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHz. Where were you listening to it?

And even though you have been licensed for just over 20 years, if have to ask an obvious question... you are aware that we are at the bottom of the current solar cycle, right?

Scott N0IU
KC8OLA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 03:37:53 AM »

This is what makes ham radio exciting!Just being able to "pull out" that distance station that is just about buried in all the static and unfavorable conditions is what really drives some of us. I spent nine years in the Marines, and there were times I had no choice but try any way I could to make contact with the other station. There were a few times someones life depended on it. I myself find it fun to try and dig out the ones I know are next to impossible! I belive we sometimes forget this is  just a hobby and the name is "HAVING FUN!" So the next time you hear a lot of static crashes and Qrm ,and whatever else that makes it difficult,go ahead and put some shouts out there, maybe I just might hear you!
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 07:16:19 AM »

Dead ?

I am located very near Seattle, Washington.  I logged CE3FCF (Santiago, Chili) on 14027 KHz at 5:45 PM (PDT) on Friday -- we gave each other 579 reports.  And, Thursday night I heard XE2AI calling CQ at about 20 wpm on the 20 meter band about 5:30 PM while I was driving in my truck.  Unfortunately, just before I could pick him up someone else grabbed him so I had to put the paddle aside.  Then, I was at my destination and couldn't wait any longer.  Too bad, his signal was strong.

And, the CW portion of the 40 meter band is full with CW stations after 5 PM.  In fact, last night it was so crowded, if you tried your own CQ you would surely be stepping on someone (OK, not that crowded, it just seemed like it).

K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 07:24:45 AM »

Each year there is less and less activity on the phone as well as the CW sub-bands. IMO, it will soon be to the point where we'll want to designate CW calling frequencies on the HF bands, to make it easier to find someone to talk to. In 10 years or so, we'll also want to designate HF phone calling frequencies for the same reason. We'll probably also want to designate "activity nights" where hams try to congregate on a particular band or sub-band.

In 10 years or so, the CQWW and ARRL DX contests will become 24 hour events, and Sweepstakes will become a 12 hour event. Most state QSO parties and other HF contest activity will disappear due to lack of interest and participation.

Let's hope the FCC doesn't give us even more HF privileges. We don't need to dilute the remaining activity over even more bands.
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »

As a newcomer, I am pleasantly surprised at how much cw activity there is on 30m.   And I'm working 2 watts with only 20khz of band coverage.

Marc
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 03:39:03 AM »

Each year there is less and less activity on the phone as well as the CW sub-bands.

That's funny.  Following any major contest everyone's whining about the bands being too crowded.
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:35:07 AM »

Things seem to be looking up this week.  It was just real quiet over here for a couple of weeks.  I worked VE7CRT this morning mobile CW.  That was fun, but felt a little rusty from the lapse ;o)

Chris KQ6UP

p.s.  Bands can't be too crowded that is what a 200Hz filter is for ;o)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: