Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Non-Ham Hobbyists Welcome In Here?  (Read 13904 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:40:13 AM »

I sincerely would like to know if a straight SWL/utility chaser is welcome in here if he has no ham callsign? Asking since this IS "eHam" Thanks and 73s
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »

There have been a few trolls who have created anonymous profiles in order to spew nonsense, so some members are leery of those who do not identify themselves with a callsign.  Of course there are a handful of trolls with callsigns, so it cuts both ways.

Welcome, and enjoy the site, you can learn a lot here.

Vince
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »

Yes!  Welcome to the site.

Just as in real life, there are always a few oddballs who will find some reason to
complain that you don't have a callsign, but just ignore them. 

After all, if we want to encourage currently-unlicensed people to take up the hobby,
we can't expect them to have a callsign yet.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »

I sincerely would like to know if a straight SWL/utility chaser is welcome in here if he has no ham callsign? Asking since this IS "eHam" Thanks and 73s

Yes you are welcome.  There are some that will wonder why you are not using your call sign but having a call sign is not a requirement.  Many great amateur radio operators started out as SWLs.  So maybe you will decide to join us and start transmitting too.  It is like SWLing but you can see if they can hear you too.

George
K5TR
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »

ok thanks to all for the welcome:)
not a troll here-well maybe just in that I like to converse about HF and its radios and antennas-I am a total geek with this stuff-and have been since I was little. I am 51 now and am still on the fence about getting a ticket. I listen a lot to hams mainly on HF, mostly down in 80 meters in the evening. Sometimes way down in 160 meters for fun. Love those hams transmitting on AM in those bands.
I have a pretty serious listening shack here and appreciate you all letting me hang in here. I will be careful how I contribute-although I cannot contribute much outside the SWL or antennas forums. But I do enjoy reading all the great stuff in here.
Heck I even saw a few hams who after years of being one, prefer to just do what I do-listen to SW!
73s-Frank
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »

Heck I even saw a few hams who after years of being one, prefer to just do what I do-listen to SW!
73s-Frank

Hi Frank,

I started off as an SWL then got my ticket and operated the bands. I've returned to listening mode for the past number of years and am enjoying the hobby even more now. Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »

Thanks Fred. Me too I never get bored with it. As long as there's stuff to fish out I'm in there!
Still a lot to be caught.
73s! Frank
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »

There are numerous SWL listeners without calls, and they contribute well. Welcome aboard.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:39:44 PM »

Thanks N4NYY-I am glad of that. I am starting to immerse into that SWL forum and there is quite a SWL following here which is great! Lots of good reading and learning in this place.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:23:59 AM »

HF and its radios and antennas-I am a total geek with this stuff-and have been since I was little. I am 51 now

Hi, Frank!   I'm another of them--I started SWLing when I was twelve; had a GREAT time listening to DX (the music from Tahiti on 11 & 15mhz late at night, local ads from the Solomon Islands, cricket matches from New Zealand ...)  I finally got a ham ticket when I was in my early 30s, but like so many others, I still enjoy just turning the dial to see what I can hear.  Smiley

eHam is a great place--there are some really smart and helpful people here.  Welcome and have fun!   --ken ac4rd
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »

Hey Ken-pretty darn close to my story. My very 1st love for worldband radio was because of my grandma's Grundig Majestic blonde console with the German text and right-to-left tuning (if I remember correctly)
Then my folks, seeing that I had such an interest, bought me a little AIWA AR-123 3-bander which I still have and it still works. Then in my teen years I would receive the Realistic Patrolman-9, then my uncle gave me his 1964 Zenith Royal 3000-1..both of those still work and I still have them lol! Well made stuff in those days.
The very first shortwave receiver I bought for me was the 1954 Hallicrafters sx-88 I found at an estate sale here in San Francisco back in 1988. It sits here in my shack alongside the r71a and gets run weekly. Plus an r75 at the bedside for the MWDX to sleep by
I never get bored with this hobby-I just have a thing for pulling those far distant wavy signals out of the ether. And I do agree-this is a great place and you guys have so much knowledge in here-been doing a ton of reading in here and this place retains my interest moreso than other places!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:55:45 AM by RXRXRX » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

Welcome!  You'll find that this site offers a lot--to everyone interested in any sort of radio hobby.  The observation about having no callsign is a little misleading, however.  Identification is the real point.  A callsign makes it easy to identify people--unless that callsign is a hyjacked one. 

As was pointed out, the people who refuse to use callsigns and are just troublemakers are the ones that the 'no callsign' argument are really aimed at.

Enjoy yourself--and the site.  73!
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 07:17:08 AM »

Thanks for the welcome K1CJS-you all are very cool to welcome someone who is not a ham, although I am one who is well steeped in the HF hobby for a lot of years.
I wish I thought of a better handle than rxrxrx lol it's pretty cheesy let alone not being a callsign but I threw it in there off the cuff when I registered to the site, not anticipating that I would join this forum (can I change that handle?)
I read in here a lot-even before I started talking here, and have seen the trouble and discontent here and there in this forum-sad to see it. I guess no place on the net is immune from bad people-just the nature of it sadly.
 Anyways, you won't get any trouble from me. I am not as technically advanced as most of you hams are-I learned what I know merely through the love for radios.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:50 AM »

AH YES - the love for Radios! Welcome to eHam!

If your want to change to another User Name (Callsign), it's under SITE INFO "eHam Help (FAQ)" at

LINK: http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp#new_callsign

Good Luck. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:59:03 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

AH YES - the love for Radios! Welcome to eHam!

If your want to change to another User Name (Callsign), it's under SITE INFO "eHam Help (FAQ)" at

LINK: http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp#new_callsign

Good Luck. Enjoy!

Gees I know-almost as cheesy as my handle lol

thanks for the lead-I will use that link once I can think up a decent handle hi.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: