Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Non-Ham Hobbyists Welcome In Here?  (Read 14553 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 04:18:47 AM »

Or you can just bite the bullet and get your ham license!  (Yeah--I know that some people here will do almost anything to get you to get your license!)   Grin Grin Grin
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:41:39 AM »

Yes that's true K1CJS. It's getting down to where I am gonna shut up and do it like you guys did. My next trip to HRO out in Oakland I am going to talk to Mark about getting me started! He was pushing me 4 years ago to be a ham when I bought my r75 from him.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:43:31 AM by RXRXRX » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »

Unless you yearn to duke it out with Mother Nature on 6 and 10m, or fall asleep listening to Rainfall Nets, repeater tails and silence on 2m, go ahead and plan on getting your General at least the first time around so you can talk to the guys you've been listening to.

F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »

Many competent SWLs never get an amateur license. Many SWL veterans are more knowledgeable than licensed operators. Some are ex-hams who had to give up their transmitting stations for any number of reasons. I'm not familiar with equipment requirements to be a reporter on the Reverse Beacon network, but I believe a decent receiving station with good antenna and receiver, plus computer and required hard-/software on the desk would be all that is necessary. Why not Google Reverse Beacon and see what you can do. Would be interesting and give you a real sense of purpose and accomplishment.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »

Unless you yearn to duke it out with Mother Nature on 6 and 10m, or fall asleep listening to Rainfall Nets, repeater tails and silence on 2m, go ahead and plan on getting your General at least the first time around so you can talk to the guys you've been listening to.

It is going to be a very long time to be where I really want to be-HF. And I'm 51. Shoulda started long ago my bad.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »

Many competent SWLs never get an amateur license. Many SWL veterans are more knowledgeable than licensed operators. Some are ex-hams who had to give up their transmitting stations for any number of reasons. I'm not familiar with equipment requirements to be a reporter on the Reverse Beacon network, but I believe a decent receiving station with good antenna and receiver, plus computer and required hard-/software on the desk would be all that is necessary. Why not Google Reverse Beacon and see what you can do. Would be interesting and give you a real sense of purpose and accomplishment.

I will have a look at that link thanks! I was hanging out in this #wunclub which is a group that chases HF utilities but that got too routine so I am searching around for neat places (that are still active) to plug into.
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 03:37:46 PM »

Welcome to the site. Nearly all hams showed an interest in SWLing or piddling with radio stuff before they got license. Getting a license is a lot easier than it used to be.

If you get a study guide with the questions - don't be discouraged because you don't understand a lot of the terms. Just learn the questions good enough to answer them, take the test and you have many years to start understanding the theory.  I have been licensed for over 50 years and am still learning about radio.

Walter   K5KNE 
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »

K5KNE-
thank you much for the welcome-your license and me are the same age Shocked appreciate being able to be here. Tons of good learning and mighty interesting stuff in here-I read way more than I post lol. Learning code here slow but sure, gaining knowledge here and there from you good folks-moving closer to being licensed myself. 73s
Frank
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »

I know before I had my license I would read here and post here on Eham. I was and still am "swman" as my ID. Now that I am licensed I still use the same ID. I just write my call at the end, never had any problems doing it that way.  73 Jim  W5JJG
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

W5JJG
Good forum with great reads and smart folks-hopefully soon I will be following suit..but will definately change my cheesy handle Grin
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 04:52:04 AM »

I know before I had my license I would read here and post here on Eham. I was and still am "swman" as my ID. Now that I am licensed I still use the same ID. I just write my call at the end, never had any problems doing it that way.  73 Jim  W5JJG

If you want you can request a username change.  The instructions are in the FAQ - http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp#new_callsign

Mike N2MG
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »

Thanks Mike I went ahead and did it Smiley
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »

... plan on getting your General at least the first time around so you can talk to the guys you've been listening to.

From our NC Section News this week:  "13 year old Garner Fleming, KK4CLY, of Mebane has  racked up many awards in the one year since he has been licensed, such as DXCC Mixed, Phone, CW, 10M and soon to be 15M and WAS.  You can see a picture of Garner in action on page 101 of the September issue of QST.  Q: So how did this young teenager achieve these awards?  A: As a TECHNICIAN! That’s right – Garner is a Technician Class operator.  He is an ace on CW, and takes advantage of Technician CW privileges on HF.  The next time you hear a Technician Class operator complain he can’t do DX with his license, tell him about Garner."

I worked almost all my first 100 countries as a Tech+, almost all on 15m CW--had a WORLD of fun doing it!  You CAN have a great time with a Tech license! 
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

AC4RD
sounds good! I know some here are exclusively CW ops-it's that much fun Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: