Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF is Sooooo Dead Lately  (Read 1607 times)
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »

With a call like KB1OOO, it's a wonder other stations have time to ID themselves after sending your call!
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »

>>>With a call like KB1OOO, it's a wonder other stations have time to ID themselves after sending your call!<<<

Maybe KB1OOO could send: dah-di-dah  dah-di-di-dit  dit-then a real long 10 seconds worth of unbroken dah to cover the rest of 1 and all those Os.
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Apparently I've offended people enough to provoke them to make gratuitous comments.  I apologize.

Marc
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 09:53:33 PM »

I don't think anyone's offended I think there just making sport of your unique call sign in a light hearted manor.  They should have appended the ;o) smiley to let you know they are just teasing.

Chris KQ6UP
AC2C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 10:48:56 AM »

I find that usinbg the HF beacons gives a fairly good snapshot condition of 20M thru 10M Bands.

Around the world in 3 minutes !!

24 hours per day

http://www.ncdxf.org/beacons.html

Ron, AC2C
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 02:40:24 PM »

These are good however, I find that propagation can change drastically in just a few tens of kilometers away, so it gives a rather incomplete picture.  I personally prefer propagation software, I have actually have had really great results with W6ELProp (free).  It needs to be set up correctly to give good results (adjusting the angle of radiation factor for your station, and using ESSN [effective sun spot number] instead of the actual sun spot number or solar flux)  ESSN is actually derived from real time radio sound data, so one gets a very complete picture of true propagation conditions.  This takes into account the lag time for the F1 or F2 layers lagging behind the real sun spot numbers.

Chris KQ6UP
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 02:42:46 PM »

quick correction

It is not Radio Sound, I meant Ionosond.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 05:44:17 AM »

As a QRP operator, I make a point of listening for other weaker cw signals. Those of us who like to work QRP-to-QRP keep our hearing skills peaked. We don't usually get 599 reports, even in the best of times.

We are out there, but you will have to turn the gain on your receiver up and make an effort to copy all signals, QRP and QRO. If you only care to QSO 599 signals, then the pickings can be sometimes thin these days.
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »

Lots of time I think the bands are really open but Hams don't think they are open.  During a recent contest I worked maybe 15 folks on 10m cw one Sunday afternoon.  This is at solar minimum, no less, and the signals were just fine.  I wish more would get on and send or call CQ just in case the bands are really open.  It is so frustrating to work a bunch of folks on Saturday and Sunday only to find that on Monday it's a wasteland.  Get on the air, get on the air, get on the air!
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 09:11:27 AM »

40m is actually really starting to zing along.  I think because the higher bands are so dead everyone is getting pushed down into the lower bands ;o).  I have worked several JA's very early in the morning.

Chris KQ6UP
KF5DE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »

We are at the very bottom of the 11 year cycle, just hang in there.  It's goonna get better next year and from then on you will need to take a leave of absense from your job so you can stay home and play radio!!!

Butch KF5DE
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »

Yep, I have been following solar activity, and it has been real low the past couple of weeks.  However, that has a tendency to send everyone to the low bands I have noticed the last couple of weeks 40m has been crowded.  Also the Geo Indicies are low and that makes the low bands really good at night (low K and A).

Chris KQ6UP
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 08:14:02 AM »

>>>>>>Each year there is less and less activity on the phone as well as the CW sub-bands. IMO, it will soon be to the point where we'll want to designate CW calling frequencies on the HF bands, to make it easier to find someone to talk to. In 10 years or so, we'll also want to designate HF phone calling frequencies for the same reason. We'll probably also want to designate "activity nights" where hams try to congregate on a particular band or sub-band. <<<<<<

I agree, heck, it was only about 6 years ago that 10 meter was great and so was 15 meters.  Now there are so few hams left that we all congregate on 20 meters durig the day and 40m at night.  

I doubt sunspots have anything to do with it.

;-)
Jim, AD6WL
WB0MCO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »

I really get tired of hearing this. The bands come
alive during the contests. Kind of strange...maybe some of you ought to get on the air more often.
The Dx has been above average from this qth, 80 and 20 meters has been open to Europe and Africa just about every night.
Maybe it's easy for me now that everyone is staying off thinking Hf is dead and I don't have the qrm to fight.
Soooo don't tell everyone the bands are open..
Thanks,Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: