Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: labeling  (Read 2659 times)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »

Huh

grr a short one

I am trying to put simple stickers of ID on various equipment BUT

On Ameritron Amps or maybe everything a 'sticker' with a call-sign does not stick. Plaster it with packaging tape and still NO STICK.

I am not trying to ID things for secure ID but simple ID.

Sticky intelligence ??
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »

If you aren't concerned with what it might do to resale value, you could have someone make a metal tag that attaches to the case with machine screws. I'm sure that'll stick!  Tongue
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »

It sounds like the amplifier cabinet might be coated with something that's "anti-sticky".

. . . Have you tried _gently_ cleaning a spot on the case with "Goo-Gone" or acetone? 

That might give you a surface that label adhesive would stick to.  I'd try it on a hidden surface first -- you don't want to dissolve the paint!

Charles
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »

That seemed like a dumb question but (??)

I have just been in a hurry in a house overwhelmed by 'extra stuff' that the house, etc. has to be sold.

I know zero about legal things but I just wanted to label a few things that were mine and if they become some 'common property' maybe I can at least say ------------

Probate stuff.

I just took some sticky labels and rubber stamped my call-sign and stuck it to things.

grrr later amongst the 'junk' the labels are coming off or have come off. I took some nice new package tape and stuck them down again.

Even the tape has come off by itself.

It is that black rough finish on Ameritron/MFJ things but also other pieces of equipment.

Instead of thinking thinking I would think somebody has probably been through this before and a simple answer of ------------

NO. I do not care about the way things look unless something needs to be sold and the buyer does.

It is probably a waste of time anyway.

I get notice my parents house is being liquidated (they died) and I stored things there chronically. They were stable as to a living location..me not..(thank you !!!)

I hate to see some of the amateur stuff go into the trash or HuhHuhHuh?

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »

One possible way to identify equipment, The old fashioned way I've seen was the cardboard tags with string attached to them, military surplus had tags like that. Be careful about what chemicals you use on various finishes, they can dull or worse damage finishes. Alcohol  might leave a spot to use an adhesive like rubber cement to attach a plate or tag. Tape might stick after wiping the surface with the alcohol. Avoid Masking Tape after sun exposure it may require sandblasting to remove should it stick.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »

HG has what I consider the best way to ID something that you don't want thrown out, sold or otherwise disposed of improperly.  TAG IT.  Best would be bright red tags if you can find them and tie them to the power cords or around the object....depending on size....legible writing on the tag.....and if the tag is on the power cord, wrap the power cord around the unit and tie it in place with  the tag string.

McMaster-Carr Item #1709T141  Red tags 3 1/4" X 2" with 4 1/4" string $4.77/100 

They provide fast service and reasonable shipping rates.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »

If theft is the concern, forget paper tags, forget riveted tags that can be easily drilled out, go with hand engraver and your state Driver's License number, etched into the chassis in an unassuming spot on the rear. 

Law Enforcement are supposed to be trained to look for that, and it is an easy find of the owner since LE is able to easily search motor vehicle records. 

N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Instead of trying to "stick" labels on everything, why not just provide the probate attorney with a listing of all the items.  Include on that list:   Item name, physical description, item use, serial number, current physical condition.  you might also include a "comments" column as to HOW you acquired the item.. (Bought at xxx Hamfest,  purchased from W4xxx on date, Traded ______ for it,  Price Paid, Etc. Etc.  Are you afraid of other family members using YOUR stuff to add to the value of the estate ?  Were either of your parents Amateur Radio Operators who would have a reason to "HAVE" this stuff for their own ?  (as an example: why would your parents need a 7 foot equipment rack with a high precision frequency counter and a 12volt 40amp power supply bolted into it ? ) if this is not the case, then why would anyone question your claim of ownership of the items ?  The other side of that coin is if you think someone (else) is going to try to prove ownership, then have THEM provide their proof of ownership. (this is even more impressive if YOU already have the list (as above).
Good Luck...

KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »

ok. I read the comments.

This is a probate that turned nasty. 2 sisters that as far as I guess stole the will and ---(they took over everything financial prior to my parents death and no 'power of attorney' and all that stuff)
They figured they would get their money better by placing both parents in 'assisted living'. geeezz I do not know but both did not like such and died in short order...

There is a house filled with 'junk'. Some of stuff is my saved amateur gear.

If 'children' do not want to sit down and talk to begin with ?  They just want their house and as fast as possible.

Yes. My father was an amateur but very limited operation up to his age 93.

Anyway I am just taking it day by day.

hey...I get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Sure. When ? 10 years from now ? What is there after the lawyers are finished ?

I just was thinking about my precious amateur gear and not having it vanish to some place it should not.

Some things cost money and are not necessarily obsolete. Amps. I even have an old Drake L7 back there that replacement parts were bought prior to 'Drake' exiting. Even Peter Dahl transformers. Ameritron AL-82..that 572b unit..811h's....

ok..this is a forum about probate Huh??

If I had the time maybe I should ID things good. Then they show up in _____________ in future years and scream scream scream...

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »

What kids DON'T store some of their stuff at their parent's home?  I know I did and I'll bet most do.  If it were me, I'd write a letter to the probate attorneys advising them of your property stored at your parent's home and requesting that it be excluded from the probate proceedings as it never belonged to your parents but was merely stored there as a convenience for you.  At the very least, this puts your claim "on the record".  If you have any way to document ownership of the most costly of the items, that would be a help as well.  If you think your sisters would try to claim your gear as having belonged to their parents, it may be decisive.  Hopefully their main interest will be in the real property and they will be happy just to get that stuff out of the way.  I can't believe that they'd be willing to risk alienating you over a few hundred dollars worth of ham gear.  Not very bright!
Tom
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »

BZR:  OK, this is what you call throwing crap into the game!  You've gone from a simple labeling question to a probate/legal question.  (If I have misread this, please excuse me)

The best answer to this is to contact an attorney.  Every suggestion here, from tags to riveted on tags can be circumvented by nasty siblings.  (I just went through this and it isn't a pleasant experience)  An attorney can put a stop to all pilfering and or predisposing of anything until it can be sorted out by a judge.

You do have rights and YOUR stuff should still be yours without fear of it being sold or simply thrown away.  If your siblings are anything like mine you'll probably walk away with one hanging out of you but I'd fight to the death to keep MY stuff!  Good luck!
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »

good luck with this, my friend.  sounds like you definitely need an attorney.  ask about the possibility of removing the ham stuff you stored at the site and lodging it with the attorney pending resolution, with an itemized list and your claims presented to the court.  any old wills, letters, other guys around the shack who witnessed "Yeah, ol Filbert's shack is downstairs someplace" type of conversations will need to be documented.

at this point, anything posted here could be hazardious to your rights.  you need a lawyer, and contesting a will can get to be nasty.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »

I would take pictures of your gear and on the back of the prints, mark model # and serial #. Maybe even add when and where purchased and store this info in a secure place till you need it.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »

ZSM:  Good idea.  However, this might also just be a recording of what was stolen, thrown away, etc.  After that he would have to prosecute..... which is a kettle of fish in it's own right.  He would still have lost his stuff.  

He needs to legally "lock down" everything until it can be sorted out.  If his siblings are anything like mine, he won't even be able to get into the house where it's stored!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:16:37 AM by K8AXW » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: