Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT 857D on CW/CWR mode  (Read 4630 times)
2E0BSS

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »

I have another question which I'm sure you'll have a reply for me.

I have a yaesu 857D UK spec and want to run CW mode I've put the radio in CW and finding it's going to a completely different frequency to which I listen to standand USB/LSB mode also all I hear is static with the occasional morse but it's not continual.

I'm guessing I haven't set the radio up (Setting the set up is a long winded process) Why do I have CW/CWR mode on the set if A: I cannot hear morse on the modes but LSB/USB What am I doing wrong?

Charlotte 2E0BSS
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »

You simply need to find the signal again when you switch to CW mode.  This may be due to one or more of the following reasons.

1.  If you were listening in LSB and switch to CW, you will loose it entirely as LSB bandwidth doesn't overlap at all with where the CW signal is.

2.  If you were listening in USB, the overlap range of the USB signal and CW signal is small so you may or may not loose it when you switch modes.

3.  Also the CW filter is generally much narrower than the SSB filter so that is another reason you may loose it.

It is better to find the signals and listen to them in their "native mode".  i.e. Set the radio to CW to find CW signals.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

Remember, the tone you hear on a CW signal is not the center frequency of the transmitter, but rather the *difference* between the center frequency and the frequency setting of your rig.  The "sidetone" -- which is actually a beat note that happens due to frequency mixing, which creates two other signals besides the original two, one is sum and the other is difference.  

To tune a CW signal properly, you should match the tone or note of the signal heard to the sidetone oscillator of your rig by zero beating them.  

KE3WD
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »

The FT857D is an excellent radio for CW, *provided* that you have the optional CW filters (at least the 500 Hz one).

73 de LB3KB, Sid
http://justlearnmorsecode.com
VE7BGP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:17:11 AM »

Hello Charlott
And others concerned. Our Club Station VE7NA bought a new FT-857D a year ago. The nice thing about the FT-857D is that if you enter the set up menu you can set up the FT-857 to operate CW on the normal Sideband compatible with Phone operation on that Band. LSB on 160, 80 and 40 and USB on the higher bands. You should have automatic offset on that rig if you switch to CW from SSB Phone the offset of the preset pitch is done so you can check into a SSB net on CW. The really nice feature that I like on the FT-857 is the RX/TX led flashes Blue when a CW station is netted correctly with another CW station or Zero Beat is correct. Refer to page 100 of your owners Manual Menu setting no 23 to set this up and also change the CLAR setting to use the main tuning knob Menu setting 21. That way the FT-875 Clarefier operates like the older FT-757GX with the main tuning knob but it's range is 9.9 khz not the full receiving range like the older FT757/67-GX series Yaesu rigs. The FT-857 has a nice up and down arrow's and - to indicate the direction of offset 1 arrow for <1 Khz 2 arrows for >1 Khz I like that feature on the FT-857.  I hope that helps Charlott and others
Gerry VE7BGP  
2E0BSS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »

Hi all the replies are great. Just one small problem I'm not CWing at the moment my New LDG Z11Pro has quit on me so no ATU at present to use so very limited on CW.

Charlotte2E0BSS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: