About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 220Mhz  (Read 2341 times)
K2GRP

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:14 AM »

Anyone know of a particular reason why it seems no Mfr's provide a "dual-bander" of 2mtr & 220mhz? They all seem to be 2 & 70cm or 450.No interest or market for em?
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:43:34 AM »

Very little commercial eqpt due to it being a ham band only in region 2, a limited market.  2 meter and 440 Mhz are ham bands in all three regions.
73s.

-Mike.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »

Very little commercial eqpt due to it being a ham band only in region 2, a limited market.  2 meter and 440 Mhz are ham bands in all three regions.

Those making the "to engineer or not to engineer" decisions might agree with you, but still, the US is a huge market.

I think it runs deeper.

The 220MHz band in the US was always somewhat of an orphan.  While some parts of the country may have used it, in many areas, the band's use was quite rare. 
(Hell in many areas today 2m and 440MHz are practically dead, sad to say - the reasons are for another thread!)

Also, 220 has been the subject of all kinds of controversy regarding its usage.  The United Parcel Service lobbied heavily 20+ years ago for the use of (at least part of) that band and succeeded in deleting a good chunk of it from US Amateurs.  Technology progressed and they (UPS) changed their mind and never implemented anything in that band.  The FCC apparently then went ahead and "re-sold" parts of it again to other users.

Still, US amateurs have retained 222-225 MHz...

There are other potential issues for which I do not have the data - perhaps the historical availability of "used" 220MHz hardware (repeater and individual) was sparse and so 220 never "took off".  I do know in the earlier days of 2m the amateur community was jammed full of modified "retired" commercial gear.  Maybe not so much for 220?

Mike N2MG
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:48:11 AM »

220 is gaining in popularity in certain areas due to the increased use of the 440 band for Pave Paws radar systems.

You can get the Wouxun uvd1/3 in a 2m/220 version. Icom used to make some mobiles.

The new Alinco 220/900 dual bander is unit that is made for the American market only so some progress is being made in getting equipment built for the American only bands.

Mike there is a lot of 220 surplus on the market now.  The problem is it is ACSSB not FM.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:49:53 AM by KCJ9091 » Logged
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »

Wouxun the Chinese company, does build a 2 meter / 220 HT.  Good unit I have one.  $105.00 shipped not a bad price.  Jetstream builds a 220 mobile, I guess my point is that the Chinese companies are the best bet to build a 2m / 220 mobile.  Or find a used rig.  I have a old Icom mobile that does 2m / 220 MHz.  Here in Ca. we have the Condor system of linked 220 machines.  It works well and is reasonably active as repeaters go.  cheers.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »

As the owner of 3 repeaters (53.210, 146.670, and 444.975) and as the "maintenance man" on two more, I feel that there are very few 220 rigs because 220 repeaters are (almost) non-existent on the new or surplus market.

I think that Hamtronics makes (made) a 220 repeater but as far as I know that is the only "ready made" source.

All of my repeaters are GE Maste II's and converting a Mastr II or a Motorola to 220 can be done, but it is a rather complex job.

Dick  AD4U
K2GRP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »

Thanks to all of you that replied. It has given me some insight regarding stuff I was not aware of before & I appreciate that.
73,Wayne
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

Maggiore makes a fine repeater for 222 MHz. 
Check out the review http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2849.
You may have to research their website, but they do advertise in QST.
222 is a great band. I had a a Maggiore Hi-Pro repeater on 224.98 MHz
for 15 years before the last lightning hit turned it into a charcoal briquet.

Cal  K4JSR
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »

The "sad" thing about 220 Mhz is that, in terms of VHF propagation and required technology it is a VERY good band. Lower noise than 2 m and a LOT less problems
 with intermod. You can run a receiver very "hot" on 220 with out the issues you would run into on 2 M or 440.  It is enough lower than 440 that you don't run into the critical circuit and mechanical issues as much on 220.  It has very good tropo properties too. Antennas are slightly smaller than 2 M so it is easier to make higher gain antennas.
There is just a lot to like about 220 mhz.

Bottomline:  it is very unfortunate the band does not see much use because it is a very good part of the VHF spectrum for several reasons.

73,  K0ZN
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

I have a 2m/220 icom 2330 and it does those, and I also bought a  new alinco 220/900 mhz ht. and I have several 200 rigs ( alinco dr 235) so there are several options available.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »

Technology progressed and they (UPS) changed their mind and never implemented anything in that band.  The FCC apparently then went ahead and "re-sold" parts of it again to other users.

Not exactly.  More like they got their mind changed for them!  Its true, UPS was the instigator that persuaded the FCC to reallocate a portion of the band for commercial use.  But, instead of the FCC assigning the appropriated portion to UPS, the FCC started seeing dollar signs and put the spectrum up for auction.  UPS was outbid by, if I remember correctly, Mobex who, again if I recall correctly, wanted the spectrum for inland maratime communication which they had visions of providing under contract, and UPS wound up with nothing.  Poetic justice in my opinion.  THEN, somewhere along the line, Mobex fell on hard times and by then I retired and lost track of the rest of the story.  Just happy that I was there to see that UPS DIDN'T GET A DARN THING!  Makes my day!
Tom
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 05:58:09 AM »

Back when the 144 mhz band was popular, there was plenty of commercial equipment that could be easily retuned to that band.  Ditto for the 440 mhz band. 

That was never the case for the 220 mhz band, nor was there any commercial equipment that was able to be easily retuned to the 220 mhz band for repeater conversion/useage.

That's the main reason that 220 mhz seems to be an orphan--but it's coming alive in some areas, especially around where the military bases are, and most especially around New England and Northern California because of the Pave Paws early warning radar systems are.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

Look at GE-MDS, they make a radio known as the SD2 out of Rochester NY and some variants can work on the ham bands. It is a 5 watt data radio that operates either as a "Plain-ol-data-radio" (you provide the data protocol) or with it's own unique packet mode that includes the ability for remote radios to act as store-and-forward data repeaters. It supports both a serial and an Ethernet interface and their packet mode has an error detection, rebroadcast scheme and a data compression capability.

While it is capable of AES-128 encryption we cannot run that in the ham bands so that feature must remain disabled. Looking down at accessories, see how many 220 related antennas they have available too.

The entire SD series has gear in the VHF, 220, 440 and 900 MHz bands.

http://store.gedigitalenergy.com/viewprod.asp?model=SD   BTW, those are list prices, partners and distributors have a great deal of pricing flexibility.

All of their receivers are very good with sensitivities down around -114 dBm and the radios can even be programmed for 5, 6.25, 7.5, 12.5, 25 KHz channel bandwidths. It is all menu driven through a web interface or through a hyperterminal session. You can even make remote radio changes as each radio has an IP address. If you had a host that acted as a DHCP server you could have radios joining and getting an IP address assignment and they all would end up running either Serial or Ethernet (or both) data at the same time. You can also have remotes running serially to an RS-232, RS-422 or RS-485 port where they are connected to a terminal server and the host can be connected by Ethernet to a server. (they do TCP or UDP encapsulation and with UDP you can be point-point, point-multipoint or multipoint-multipoint).

If interested, contact me off list.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: