Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FLDIGI...Ubuntu  (Read 6095 times)
W5CEM

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

I admit up front I am not a Linux expert...I have never been able to get FLDIGI to load properly.  Just this month in QST I read you have to cut and paste command lines.  Can anyone walk me thru the steps to get it installed properly.  Been delaying PSK usage around here...

tnx...

cleve/W5CEM
LX2GT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 12:04:29 AM »

Hello,

Take a look here: http://www.w1hkj.com/LaunchpadInstall.html

Failure proof to get the most recent version installed in Ubuntu. Works fine for me since a while.

73, Luc, LX2GT
KF5RCA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:50:46 AM »

I have never been able to get FLDIGI to load properly.

I assume "load" means "install".  If it means something else please clarify so we can get you farther down the road.

The commands* in the link above install the most recent software on ubuntu variants**.  If you want the stable version for your platform or are not running an ubuntu variant:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fldigi

Enter your password when requested, then peck the Enter key like a chicken when the installer asks questions (generally just  "do you want to continue?" once it calculates the necessary files).

Done deal.  

After the install your chosen linux flavor may add it automagically to the menu or you may run it as "fldigi" from the terminal.  I won't be able to help much with configuring/using it because I am very new to data (and ham, for that matter).

jc

* commands are run from (or pasted into) a terminal, aka command line.  The menus generally put this up front as "terminal", or "xterm" or "whateverterm".  Sometimes stashed under the Accessories or System Tools submenus.

** ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu et al.
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »

Cleve,

If you haven't already done so check out the Yahoo FLdigi/Linux Group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham

73 de Steve KB6HOH
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

Have to agree with KF5RCA, if 'load' means install, then his instructions will get you there.
However, it occurs to me that you might mean it has installed but isn't actually working properly. If thats the case please clarify.
Reason I mention it, I do recall that when I first started using the software I had some problems related to operator error ("me") until I read the directions carefully.
Incidently, I downloaded the software through Synaptic (which I am still using on 12.04LTS) and it went without a hitch.

73 de WB0FDJ
DIDJATUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:05 AM »

Assuming you are using Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), you can just point and click to install FLDIGI using Ubuntu Software Center.

There are 2 methods I use, and both are easy. The methods are essentially the same, but install different versions of the FLDIGI software package. I use method #2 mostly.

Method #1:

The first method will install the current software package (FLDIGI) available within the current release of Ubuntu. As I type this reply to your question, that would be Ubuntu version 12.04 (Precise), and the current FLDIGI package available for installation is FLDIGI (3.21.38-1).

#1 Click on "Ubuntu Software Center"

#2 Search with Ubuntu Software Center for the application "fldigi"  ( the box - upper with magnifier glass symbol ).

#3 When the search results are displayed that show the package/application "fldigi" - click install - be patient - the installation is slow - about 1 to 2 minutes, and there is some, but not a lot of feedback from Ubuntu about the installation process. Ubuntu has to install the package (fldigi) and it's required dependences.

#4 Setup - Configure the fldigi application to meet your digital mode hardware requirements.

Method #2:

This is a very easy method to install the latest and greatest version release of FLDIGI. Again... as I type this reply to you, that would be version fldigi (3.21.48-1). It seems that the developers of fldigi fix bugs brought to their attention in a VERY timing manner. FLDIGI is a very well maintained Linux amateur radio application. The work is done by a core group of Linux software developer hams working together to support the amateur radio community.

#1 Google search "Ubuntu packages" - the search results will reveal a link to www.packages.Ubuntu.com - click on that link. You will see a page "browse through the list of packages". Find the package set under "quantal" ( this is Ubuntu version 12.10 it is not released yet ).

Find the package group "HAM RADIO".
  Find fldigi (3.21.48-1 [universe] - click on that link.

Scroll to the bottom of the page... "Download fldigi"

Click on the architecture you use amd64 (64bit) or i386 (32bit). This will be up the actual download page (mirrors). Click a a mirror link and select "SAVE" the file. I use "North    America" and "ubunut.media.mit.edu" sometimes i use "rit.edu" also.

This will download the fldigi file to your HOME directory DOWNLOADS folder. When the download is complete - close your web browser, and open the file manager Nautilus, and locate the file you just downloaded in the Home directory Downloads folder... the file should be either : fldigi_3.21.48-1_amd64.deb  or  fldigi_3.21.48-1_i386.deb  again, it depends on the computer architecture you are using.

Now to install FLDIGI - Right Click and select "Open with Ubuntu Software Center".  Like I stated before there is not a whole lot of feedback during the install process ... SO BE PATIENT! It will install!

#2 Setup - Configure the fldigi application to meet your digital mode hardware requirements. Enjoy.

It seems like a lot, but this method take 15 to 20 seconds to implement.

This method should be able to be used for future Ubuntu and Fldigi releases.

It works well for me.

With a old spare computer,and a free high tech operating system like Linux, and a free digital mode software application like fldigi, I spend my money on other ham gear. Thank you fldigi developers very much.

I hope this helps you.  N1ISA
DIDJATUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »

A edit to my posting above....

There is a dead link due to a typo... should be just:       packages.ubuntu.com/

NOT  www.packages.ubuntu.com  (dead link)

Sorry about that.
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »

Once you get it installed if your using a USB to serial adapter your address will be something like    /dev/ttyUSB0 at least that is what mine is.  You will like how it works.

Carlos
KE5DFK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: