Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK...who here uses a tri-magnet mount????.....  (Read 12954 times)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:30 AM »

If you drill holes in your car to mount a large HF antenna, especially a single hole, with today's thin metal they use for car bodies (and now even softer aluminum to get the gas milage up to federal standards) you are going to end up with bent car metal. With aluminum, it will not be repairable and the hood or other body part will have to be replaced at great expense. Shocked

There has never been a documented case of anyone being killed by a flying magnetic mount. These stories are generated by the same folks that believe all those silly conspiracy theories.  Roll Eyes
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 06:51:36 AM »

I've never had an issue with mag mounts falling off because I was driving down the highway.

I've had a dual-band UHF antenna on a single mag-mount blow off of my pickup at legal highway speeds when meeting an 18-wheeler on a two-lane highway. If someone had been standing up in the bed of my pickup, they could have gotten severely injured. I've never seen or heard of the coax breaking and un-tethering the antenna.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »

There has never been a documented case of anyone being injured by a flying magnetic mount. These stories are generated by the same folks that believe all those silly conspiracy theories.  Roll Eyes

Whether it is a permanent or magnetic antenna mount, if it looks like it defies the laws of physics, it probably does. Don't be cheap! Buy an adequate mount for the antenna.  Grin   
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »

I've had a dual-band UHF antenna on a single mag-mount blow off of my pickup at legal highway speeds when meeting an 18-wheeler on a two-lane highway. If someone had been standing up in the bed of my pickup, they could have gotten severely injured. I've never seen or heard of the coax breaking and un-tethering the antenna.

Why (or how) would someone be standing in your bed at highway speeds? Also some prepackaged antennas come with marginal mag mounts to cut costs. (parts and shipping) With a proper magnet it will not come loose.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »

With aluminum, it will not be repairable and the hood or other body part will have to be replaced at great expense.

Rubbish. Google TIG welding.

Hoods and trunk lids can be found at a vehicle breakers.
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »

Why (or how) would someone be standing in your bed at highway speeds?

Haven't been to Texas in quite awhile, huh? Smiley

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »

Rubbish. Google TIG welding.

Google aluminum alloys. Some are TIG weldable and many ones are not. Unless it is made out of something like 6061 you are not going to be able to repair it easily. Alloys like 2024 used with aircraft skin and panels (and could be used for car body parts) it not welder friendly.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 05:18:51 AM »

Oh brother!  Here goes the same old argument that has reared its ugly head on other threads here over the years.  A magnet mount, no matter how well constructed is a compromise mount.  The compromise is trading off safety and proper antenna grounding for convenience.  Whether it be because the vehicle cannot have any holes drilled in it or the owner is unwilling to drill those holes, a magnet mount is an excuse for not doing a job the right way.

How many hams here rail against the compromise HF antennas?  Funny how some of those hams that do preach against those will turn around and have the nerve to say using a magnet mount is a good idea!

There may not have been a case where a magmount has been cited as the reason for injury or death, simply because there aren't enough of them compared to the amount of vehicles on the road AND other more common causes of injury.

The final thought?  Hams and others who recommend magmounts probably are the same ones who would use velcro or double stick tape to mount their radios inside their vehicle.  And laughably--those hams who would never do that probably would still recommend magmounts as the heaven sent remedy to putting an antenna on a vehicle!

W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 05:42:01 AM »

There may not have been a case where a magmount has been cited as the reason for injury or death, simply because there aren't enough of them compared to the amount of vehicles on the road AND other more common causes of injury.

I know for sure that a dual-band phased mobile mag-mount antenna, being blown off the top of the cab of a pickup, can dent a pickup - got the dents to prove it.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 06:17:12 AM »

A magnet mount, no matter how well constructed is a compromise mount.  The compromise is trading off safety and proper antenna grounding for convenience.  Whether it be because the vehicle cannot have any holes drilled in it or the owner is unwilling to drill those holes, a magnet mount is an excuse for not doing a job the right way.

Again I like this. There was a time when car body metal was thick, stiff strong. Today body metal is paper thin ans does not provide a good surface to mount a large HF antenna too unless you also gusset hole.  A large tri mag mount is not only up to job but also spreads torque load over a thin metal surface far more efficiently.

I know for sure that a dual-band phased mobile mag-mount antenna, being blown off the top of the cab of a pickup, can dent a pickup - got the dents to prove it.

And so can falling tree branches and stones from tires on road and these are far far more likely to happen than being hit by a magic flying antenna.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:23:24 AM by W8JX » Logged

KE4RPX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:49 AM »

I have used a Perth Outbacker on a 5" tri-mag mount on the trunk deck of a Toyoto Camry.  Trip was over 1000 miles at speeds of up to 75 MPH.  Never had a problem or issue.  I don't recall if I had a single magnet closet to the rear window or two of them. 

Given how PC this country has become as well at litigious, I would think if there were problems with mag mounted antenna, either the vendors would've already stopped selling them or word of mouth would have significantly dampened the market for them.  I've never heard of a single incident with these mounts, but others' may have. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 03:41:24 AM »

And so can falling tree branches and stones from tires on road and these are far far more likely to happen than being hit by a magic flying antenna.

And with all the other possible causes of damage to a vehicle from other vehicle parts and stuff on the road that may be thrown up at an accident scene, is it any wonder why there is no documented instances of damage by a mag mounted antenna?  After all, the person killed by such a thing can't sit up and say "It was a mag-mount antenna that killed me!"
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 05:38:17 AM »

And with all the other possible causes of damage to a vehicle from other vehicle parts and stuff on the road that may be thrown up at an accident scene, is it any wonder why there is no documented instances of damage by a mag mounted antenna?  After all, the person killed by such a thing can't sit up and say "It was a mag-mount antenna that killed me!"

Name one incident or time when someone elses car was damaged by a flying mag mount antenna. Name one incident where someone was harm by one. You cannot because it has never been documented to have happened. Some preach gloom and doom just for the sake of doing it.

KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »

I have used almost every available mobile concoction for the past 20 years.  I would stick anything and everything to my parents vehicles as we drove around all over.

I used to be strictly mag mount.  I had 6ish on the roof of my Nissan truck in high school (I was a babe magnet, let me tell you).  On several occasions I had every single antenna blow off at the same time. 

Here in Wyoming, we have 80mph speed limits which sometimes take us into 80mph headwinds.  That alone will blow most magmounts off.  Couple ice or mud or anything else, and magmounts larger than 1/4wl on 2 meters just shear off.

All of my antennas are now drilled.  I fabricate custom 3/8 steel plate mounts for my HF stuff that I weld and powdercoat.  So far, running Scorpions and other large screwdrivers, none have failed. 

Magmounts work and a lot of folks use them to success.  I have plopped them on a few rental vehicles just to get on the air.  However, I have had them fall off far too many times to trust them.  I hate having to stop and re-attach them every few hundred miles.

Also, on the topic of tri magmounts, I do have one that was holding a 20 meter hamstick to the roof of my truck when I was involved in a nasty accident.  The 3 magnets stayed stuck to my roof and the antenna/mount separated and flew through the air.  I still have the mount in my garage as a conversation piece.  It has the small piece of RG-58 that snapped from the force.  Did it hit anybody?  No.  Did it even possess enough energy to hurt somebody who was more than a few feet from my wreck?  I dunno.  Maybe.  But everybody who has crap in the bed of their truck is more likely to smoke somebody than an antenna.

Ever see what a handyman jack does to the cab of a truck in a bad wreck?  I have.  Same thing for generators and welders.  Every the truckbed toolboxes are freaking missiles.  Don't NOT use a magmount for fear of killing somebody.  Don't use them because the fall off and in my experience, end up doing more damage to the paint than just drilling a hole.

Brad
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »

They can fall off if not properly sized for antenna and most magnets that come with antennas as not that strong. It is kinda like buying a 1/2 ton truck to do the job of a 3/4 ton. Buy wrong size and you can have problem but with correct one for application you will not have any problems. I buy the mag mount independent of antenna.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: