Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK...who here uses a tri-magnet mount????.....  (Read 14159 times)
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »

You have a much better chance of getting hit by lightening than a flying magnet mount and chances of getting hit by lightening is pretty darn slim.

Strangely enough, I have been hit by lightning (my daughter witnessed it) and my dual-band single-mag-mount antenna flew off my pickup half a dozen times before I finally gave up and threw it into the woods on the roadside after the last episode.

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »

You have a much better chance of getting hit by lightening than a flying magnet mount and chances of getting hit by lightening is pretty darn slim.

Strangely enough, I have been hit by lightning (my daughter witnessed it) and my dual-band single-mag-mount antenna flew off my pickup half a dozen times before I finally gave up and threw it into the woods on the roadside after the last episode.

I have had several near misses but never been hit by lightening. As far as your mag mount problem, it is like I have said all along, if you you the CORRECT size magnet mount for the task at hand you will not have any problems. If you do not problems can ensue. All in one antenna/mag mount packages usually cut corners on size of magnet.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 04:31:55 AM »

Proof right there that it CAN HAPPEN, even if the odds of it happening are slim.
KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »

You crash hard enough to send a mag mount flying,  and yet there's no issue with fliying glass, bodies, luggage, tools, kids car seats, flashlights, power tools etc and all the other crap people have in/on their cars...  Is kind of a weird argument.

What is NOT a weird argument is:

that the magnet does more damage to the paint of the car over a couple weeks then a relatively small hole.
They don't work that well on lower bands.
They are easy to steal.
The size of the antenna is limited, thus performance.
If the magnet IS big enough to hold a big enough antenna then it is more likely to actually BE a safety hazard.
The coax is often routed through doors or other spots where the coax gets crushed.

etc..
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: