Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB on 10m What to do?  (Read 9546 times)
W9HQE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

The question is did he even know he was bleeding over to 10 meter? The way some hacks set up cbs for guys I am not surprised when I read they are coming over on public service bands on fm let alone amateur bands if he knew and set up his radio to cause interference turn him in to the FCC they need the money they will get for fines.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »

Up to three pages of speculation already, some of it on target, some of it over the top.  Anyone who has been around long enough will remember that the subject was addressed some time ago by the FCC.  Riley Hollingsworth, who was then the voice (and seemingly the only hammer) of the FCC enforcement division, quite clearly stated that stations operating illegally on the amateur bands had no protection from interference; therefore, an amateur station transmitting over those illegal signals was not in violation of the regulations pertaining to interference.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »

W9HQE,

The OP is not in the US, neither is the intruder. Thus the FCC have no involvement.

Although considering where M5AEO lives, and the saturation of  interference chasing people around that area for the Olympics (both permanent and temporary staff and people from other parts of Europe 'borrowed' for the occasion, it is a foolhardy thing right now for anyone to operate illegally on any band anywhere round there!
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 05:10:56 AM »

I knew I shouldn't have said anything on here!  Just to clarify.....I do not go around chasing illegal ops because I 'haven't got a life'!  I have a very nice life, enjoying amateur radio!   It's just that I spent a lot of time and effort passing the Radio Amateurs Exam and the Morse code test to get my licence and I don't see why someone who has made no effort at all should get the same privileges as me for nothing.  Some suggest that I should speak to this unlicenced intruder and challenge him, but according to my licence this would be illegal.  I felt that making some antenna tests was the most subtle way to deal with this situation.  Hopefully this CB op will come to the conclusion that the band is not reliable for him and will move back down to 27Mhz.

Jonathan, M5AEO
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:49 AM »

Jonathan, I didn't aim that comment at you.  That wasn't my intention, and I apologise that I didn't make that clear.  Some ops DO go looking for that kind of thing just to do that, and THOSE are the ones I targeted.

One nice thought--if that person does make enough of a stir, he'll be getting a knock on the door from officials, something that you'll never be on the receiving end of!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »

They have taken some of the bottom end of 2 metres for the olympics rubbish. Should be only temporary....
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »

This is why G3RZP has a problem with the Olympics......
http://www.nbcolympics.com/archery/medals/2012-standings/by-nation/index.html

Archery.     GB did not medal.

After CENTURIES of tales from Nottingham and Sherwood Forest about the legendary longbow archers of England, what happened this week?

South Korea, Italy and the USA take the top three spots.

Great Britain?    Bupkus.

If knife throwing was an Olympic event this would be like the Sicilian team losing to Ireland.

Unthinkable.

For those of you who haven't been to Nottingham in a while, click this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Robin_Hood_Memorial.jpg/400px-Robin_Hood_Memorial.jpg

That isn't Prince Harry, and damn sure isn't anyone who made the GB Olympic archery team.

I'm not surprised, as the most famous actor to play Robin Hood on film was either Douglas Fairbanks or Errol Flynn and neither one of them took breaks for Tea Time. Then there's the concept of Karma. Any country so rude as to throw an elderly woman out of a helicopter high above Olympic Stadium deserves to lose at archery.

And so they did.    Four Times..................   Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:37 AM »

5UP

Don't start me on about the blasted olympics. An enormous waste of money and time to polish the egos of politicians, journalists and parasites who should be doing a useful job of work - like sewer cleaning. Costs far more than is admitted because of disruption to business.

All the French people I know are very happy Paris didn't get it because of the cost.

Actually, the best longbow archers were generally Welsh, and Nottinghamshire should be more famous for the oil wells and the now closed coal mines.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »

Jonathan, I didn't aim that comment at you.  That wasn't my intention, and I apologise that I didn't make that clear.  Some ops DO go looking for that kind of thing just to do that, and THOSE are the ones I targeted.

Good for those people! Defending Ham bands from illegal intrusion is time worth spending.

The main reason freebanders and pirates get on Ham bands is the search for a new private frequency. The quieter and less disturbed, the better for the illegal op. The rougher time authorized users give pirates on Ham bands, the less likely they are to stay.

Supporting clear frequencies for pirates is working against Ham radio.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »

Didn't say that you shouldn't target those illegal freebanders.  DID say that hams who only go on the bands to look for those freebanders and interfere with their games ought to get a life.
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

@Tom (W8JI) - good to see you posting again..... and as usual with the same well thought out posts - just the facts.  Need more posts like that.

I felt Tom made it pretty clear with the quote from regs
(23) Harmful interference. Interference which endangers the functioning of a radionavigation service or of other safety services or seriously degrades, obstructs or repeatedly interrupts a radiocommunication service operating in accordance with the Radio Regulations.

FCC made it pretty clear what interference is: "radiocommunication service operating in accordance with the Radio Regulations."

Note the "in accordance with" - certainly not an illegal transmission.

73 de Ken H>   
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:47 AM »

I knew I shouldn't have said anything on here!  Just to clarify.....I do not go around chasing illegal ops because I 'haven't got a life'!  I have a very nice life, enjoying amateur radio!   It's just that I spent a lot of time and effort passing the Radio Amateurs Exam and the Morse code test to get my licence and I don't see why someone who has made no effort at all should get the same privileges as me for nothing.  Some suggest that I should speak to this unlicenced intruder and challenge him, but according to my licence this would be illegal.  I felt that making some antenna tests was the most subtle way to deal with this situation.  Hopefully this CB op will come to the conclusion that the band is not reliable for him and will move back down to 27Mhz.

Jonathan, M5AEO

After reading this thread I like your approach Jonathan and might modify it slightly by transmitting something like: 

"Attention all licensed amateur radio operators, there is an UN-licensed station *illegally* transmitting on this frequency."  Apparently he does not realize he is in danger of facing severe legal consequences for his unlicensed & illegal transmissions, or he mistakenly believes he is operating within the legal confines of the Citizen's Band.  Please do not engage in radio communications with him for it is illegal to do so" 

improvements or variations on the above suggestion are encouraged  Wink
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »

And send it in CW, which would be legal....

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 04:25:27 AM »

After reading this thread I like your approach Jonathan and might modify it slightly by transmitting something like: 

"Attention all licensed amateur radio operators, there is an UN-licensed station *illegally* transmitting on this frequency."  Apparently he does not realize he is in danger of facing severe legal consequences for his unlicensed & illegal transmissions, or he mistakenly believes he is operating within the legal confines of the Citizen's Band.  Please do not engage in radio communications with him for it is illegal to do so" 

improvements or variations on the above suggestion are encouraged  Wink

That is perilously close to being a 'broadcast', that is a transmission to nobody in particular but to everyone on the frequency, which is also breaking the regulations.  Better you call one of your friends on that frequency, even though he may not be there--or on the air--at all, and say that the bootlegger is interfering and to go to your alternate frequency.  That wouldn't be a broadcast as such.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »

That is perilously close to being a 'broadcast', that is a transmission to nobody in particular but to everyone on the frequency, which is also breaking the regulations.  Better you call one of your friends on that frequency, even though he may not be there--or on the air--at all, and say that the bootlegger is interfering and to go to your alternate frequency.  That wouldn't be a broadcast as such.

i had not considered that a transmission to nobody in particular but to everyone on the frequency is breaking the rules.  Isn't calling CQ the same sort of transmission?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: