Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: restrictions on tower within City  (Read 14919 times)
N1BIL

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

I bought a aluminum 40 ft Universal Manufacturing tower from a Ham who is looking to move.  I went to the City bulding department to obtain a permit.  I had the original manuals from Univiersal, which shows the proper installation requirements.
I was informed that the City had a 35ft height requirement and I need a deviation from the Planning Dept.  I was also told that I need a complete set of engineering drawings for the tower and base foundation. I ordered the engineering drawings fron Universal Mfg. for $400.00 and am waiting to see if the deviation gtes approved.
Looks like Ridgecrest, CA does not like Amateur Radio
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »

Bill,

Just put it up with the approved engineered base and correct sized base hole per manufacturer. No one here ever had any problems as far as I ever heard of. While I'm not in the city, both of my towers are over 40' and several hams WITHIN the city have towers at 55' and higher. Someone is feeding you the wrong scoop.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:57:51 AM »

Would they have requested the engineering drawings if the tower was 35 feet tall?
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »

I bought a aluminum 40 ft Universal Manufacturing tower from a Ham who is looking to move.  I went to the City bulding department to obtain a permit.  I had the original manuals from Univiersal, which shows the proper installation requirements.
I was informed that the City had a 35ft height requirement and I need a deviation from the Planning Dept.  I was also told that I need a complete set of engineering drawings for the tower and base foundation. I ordered the engineering drawings fron Universal Mfg. for $400.00 and am waiting to see if the deviation gtes approved.

One thing. ALWAYS do your own research on your zoning. Many times people in the Building And Planning department are not aware of ordinances concerning Amateur Radio towers, or telecommunication towers in general. It looks like Ridgecrest, CA does have a 35 foot building height restriction, however, they also state this in their code:

"20-3.9. - Height Limits

No structure or part thereof shall be erected, reconstructed or structurally altered in excess of height limits hereafter designated for the zone in which such structure is located except as follows:

a. Farm buildings or structures provided that these are not less than 50 feet from every lot line, church spires, belfries, cupolas and domes, monuments, water towers, fire and hose towers, observation towers, distribution and transmission towers, line and poles, chimneys, smoke stacks, flag poles, radio towers, masts and aerials, provided that they are safely erected and maintained. "

So from what I read from that is that the 35 foot building height restriction can be exceeded if the tower is properly installed and maintained. However, it also mentions a 50 foot setback from all property lines. If you have a good chunk of land, that's not a problem. But it could be if you are on a small city lot.

Also, all towers are suppose to meet the requirements of TIA-222-G, which is the "STRUCTURAL STANDARD FOR ANTENNA SUPPORTING STRUCTURES AND ANTENNAS". Even the International Building Code refers to this as the standard for towers. At first my B & P department was asking for proof that my US Tower TX-472 met the requirements of the IBC until I showed them from the plans that it met TIA-222-G standards, and that satisfied the requirements of the IBC.

John K7KB

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

Like I said, and I have lived in Ridgecrest almost 30 years, I know MANY hams who live in town who have 55'-60' crank ups WITHOUT any setbacks, on city size lots and no one says anything to them. Some are only couple of years old, some have been in place over a decade. I'd go ahead and put it up and not worry about it, but then that's me. My two towers are about 1 block past the city limits out in the county so I don't worry about it.

Just be thankful you don't live in Heritage Village. NO OUTSIDE ANTENNAS AT ALL!!!!!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »

Should have told them it was only 35 feet to begin with.  All the planning and zoning folks want is your permit money and the ability to get more property tax out of you.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »

The lesson to be learned is, never, ever trust what township officials tell you: It's very likely to be an opinion, rather than fact.

Even happens in big cities, like here in Los Angeles.

L.A. allows amateur radio towers to 45' without permit, above 45' with permit, and there are hundreds of 100' tall or higher amateur towers in town.  The codes are all on line, if you do the research.

The city officials know nothing about most of this and can tell you all sorts of crap they just make up. Wink
N1BIL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »

Yea: I just talked to an Amateur Radio Operator in Louisiana and they have ham antennas exempt from most regulations. Looks like Los Angeles has allowed hams to have antennas and towers with adequate installation and maintenance.  These places know the value of Amateur Radio operations during emergencies.
Perhaps we as Amateur Radio Operators need to improve our Public Relations. We need to address amateur radio capabilities during public events and community/state/federal emergencies. We need to also let the community know that our equipment deos not interefear with their electronic devices. We need to get this information to the communities we live in and regulators at all levels of government. The press/television/radio could be good for purpose.  invite them them cover your local emergency nets, and explain the capabilities of amateur radio to help during local emergencies.  Explain that Radio interference is not the issue it once was. New electronic equipment design has eliminated the problem. We ham operators are a community assett and during desasters when other communication systems fail.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

KJ6VSG is absolutely correct! Make sure you do the public relations work before you stick a tower in their face.  Wink
This situation sounds like it is crying out for a 35' crank-up tower.  Cry
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:15:25 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »

That sure is expensive to provide engineering drawings from a tower manufacturer.  Im sure that they were made before the tower was even manufactured.  A copy of the design should be available to anyone who owns one of their towers - even second hand.

I'm glad to know that about Universal Towers.

Good Luck on the efforts to get the permit.   Walter K5KNE - professional engineer
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »

The $400 charge from Universal towers for the engineering drawings has a wet stamp from a PE licensed in your state. I purchased these from them for my Universal tower installation and the County accepted them without any problems at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: