Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-5000  (Read 13070 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »

Lot's of guys dumping their Flex-5000As on the Flex Radio mailing list lately.

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

Lot's of guys dumping their Flex-5000As on the Flex Radio mailing list lately.

I have seen many for sale on QTH.com and QRZ the last few weeks. They do not seem to be selling fast and the price is dropping quite a bit. Same with the Flex 3000 and 1500.

An out of date, 2005 technology Flexradio is getting about as popular as a 2005 computer running Win XP...  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:10:46 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:02:38 PM »

Who cares?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »

Who cares?

Anyone selling or buying a Flexradio would care. Any Flex owner watching his investment in a Flexradio continue to decline would care.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:42 AM »

I don't know what is dropping faster, the going price for a used Flex Radio or public opinion of Flex Radio Systems?  Perhaps when I sell my Flex 5000 and 3000 I may receive enough money from them both to take my wife and I out to dinner or fill my truck up with gas?

Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
G4PNX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »

When we get the announcement (Dayton 2013?) that 'Things have changed' and PSDR is dead you'll be lucky if you can give them away.

David
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:07:01 AM by G4PNX » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »

Anyone selling or buying a Flexradio would care. Any Flex owner watching his investment in a Flexradio continue to decline would care.  Cheesy
They already know, I'm sure Grin
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »

When we get the announcement (Dayton 2013?) that 'Things have changed' and PSDR is dead you'll be lucky if you can give them away.

David
Great news!! I'm good on qrz.com and I will happily pay shipping!
 Grin
james
WD5GWY
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »

Here is the ironic thing about all the flex sales, if you want an SDR transceiver to replace it, what are you going to buy that's going to beat it?  It's a genuine question and I think a valid one.

It speaks to the real motives for selling them in my mind.  I am guessing the top reasons people sell Flex 5000's right now are as follows.

Tried an SDR and it's not like they thought and or more difficult to get work and use than expected.
Want as much value as possible while waiting on their Flex 6K
Want to decrease their investment in their radio gear
Want a better performing rig ( likely going to cost as much or more than their flex - there are a few exceptions)

I have no reason to sell mine.  One thing to note about investments is that part of an investment is the value keeping something has for a predetermined time.   That's what's makes my truck a reasonable investment, I am planning 10 years ownership like my last truck.

I planned 5 years for the 5K and said that I need to learn to fully exploit it and out grow it to be able to consider breaking that deal with myself.

How many newer transceivers are there really to even choose from that out perform it?

Power SDR is buggy, but looking at SDR transceiver software,what do you replace it with?  Again, not many options.  

These are my questions and my two cents many won't likely appreciate, lol!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:58:25 PM by NI0Z » Logged

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »

One thing to note about investments is that part of an investment is the value keeping something has for a predetermined time.   That's what's makes my truck a reasonable investment, I am planning 10 years ownership like my last truck.

How many newer transceivers are there really to even choose from that out perform it?

Your truck or Flex 5K transceiver is NOT an investment

Investment= A placement of capital in expectation of deriving income or profit from its use (from Wiktionary)

There are many transceivers that are equal or outperform your Flex 5K. For instance (Real) Contesters would never choose a Flexradio. Why? They do not perform well in contests..

Go to http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
Any of the top 10 or 12 radios will equal or outperform a Flex 5K in everyday non-contest use.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:52:32 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »

Go to http://www.sherweng.com/table.html
Any of the top 10 or 12 radios will equal or outperform a Flex 5K in everyday non-contest use.

Stan K9IUQ

And all three of Flex's currently available line of transceivers are in that top 12.
Not too many other companies can make that claim. In fact, only TenTec can
lay claim to having three of their radios in the top 12. That's why I like my
new (to me) TenTec Jupiter. The only other radio I have that comes close to performing
as well as it does, is the Flex 1500 qrp rig I have. But, for overall comfortable listening, my Kenwood TS-830s is very good.
james
WD5GWY

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »

And all three of Flex's currently available line of transceivers are in that top 12.
Not too many other companies can make that claim. In fact, only TenTec can
lay claim to having three of their radios in the top 12.

Sherwoods RX list is good for bragging rights. I would not however buy a radio just because it is in his top ten list.  In blind tests, I would suggest that the average ham would have trouble picking out actual receive differences between any recent manufacture radio that are in the same price class.

When I was buying my Flex 5K 2 years ago I had extensive email conversations with Sherwood. His personal opinions of radios was eye opening. I was shocked when he told me what radios he actually owned and used. They were not in the top Ten of his list....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:32:47 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »

Sherwoods RX list is good for bragging rights. I would not however buy a radio just because it is in his top ten list.  In blind tests, I would suggest that the average ham would have trouble picking out actual receive differences between any recent manufacture radio that are in the same price class.

When I was buying my Flex 5K 2 years ago I had extensive email conversations with Sherwood. His personal opinions of radios was eye opening. I was shocked when he told me what radios he actually owned and used. They were not in the top Ten of his list....

Stan K9IUQ
I don't doubt that at all. Looking at the numbers alone, it is hard to imagine anyone being able to tell the difference between a lot of the radios listed. But, as you said, for
bragging rights, lots of folks do carry on about their current favorite radio being at, or
near, the top, of Sherwood's list.  I know of one in particular that anytime that subject
is brought up, he instantly starts touting his Yaesu  FTDX-5000D as being the best of the best according to Sherwood. I have tried out the FTDX-5000D and it is indeed a very nice radio. And it should be for the premium price it commands. But, is it better than my Jupiter or even a Collins 32S? The numbers on Sherwood's list say it is. But, in real life tests, it may or may not.
  Anyway, I do find all this very interesting.
james
WD5GWY
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »

Great responses, but they really didn't ask the two main questions I had.

Name a better SDR transceiver than the Flex 5000K
Name a better SDR transceiver software platform that a person can replace PowerSDR.

The point in part I was trying to make is that people are not leaving Flex radios for other SDR transceivers in masses, they are just leaving SDRs period mostly for the reasons I listed above.

I believe could contest just fine with a flex 5K and CommCat.  I have a second rig in my shack now (IC 7000) and I still prefer the Flex for HF work.

What do you believe are the deficiencies for contesting with a flex 5K with dual receivers over lets say a Kenwood TS 590 or Elecraft K3?  Genuinely curious.  If your going to tell me because windows crashes, that's not really a good reason in my mind because that has as much more to do with the machine and software you use than it really does with the radio.  I have not blue screened now since the first month when I originally was setting stuff up and had conflicting software.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

Great responses, but they really didn't ask the two main questions I had.

Name a better SDR transceiver than the Flex 5000K

I believe could contest just fine with a flex 5K and CommCat.  I have a second rig in my shack now (IC 7000) and I still prefer the Flex for HF work.

What do you believe are the deficiencies for contesting with a flex 5K with dual receivers over lets say a Kenwood TS 590 or Elecraft K3?  Genuinely curious. 

The deficiencies of the Flexradio 5K in contesting has been discussed here many times. You either have a short (or selective memory) or you have not been paying attention.

A radio is just a tool. It matters not if it is a SDR or a knobbed radio. The important thing is can it get the job done comfortably?

Comparing a Icom 7000 (I own one) with a  TS-590s, K3 or Flex 5K is silly.

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: