Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-857D 6M Repeater Setup  (Read 1656 times)
KD6ASL

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »

I thought I had most of my new 857 features figured out, but I have a problem I can't seem to figure out.  I've been using the rig on 2M simplex and repeater with no problems.  But using the same setup, I've been unable to receive on a 50MHz repeater freq.  I'm hitting the repeater, but apparently not opening the squelch on the receive side.  I've checked the CTCSS tone and it's correct. Must be something I've missed.  Any help would be appreciated.
 Huh  Huh  Huh
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:06:59 AM »

Set the transmit to send the correct tone but leave the receive in carrier squelch and see what happens.  The display should show just a T.  Turn the squelch knob full counter clockwise.  You should hear white noise until you key the repeater.  If that works check to make sure the repeater is passing the tone as some strip the tones, or if it is sending a different tone on the output than is used for the input.

If it does not work check to make  sure the repeater is working on a standard offset.
KD6ASL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I changed Menu Mode 80 from it's default (RF-GAIN) to SQL so I can now at least adjust the squelch and hear the white noise.  Unfortunately I'm on travel so I can't check the operation today of the particular repeater I was having a problem with.  I did verify that the Frequency Offset and CTCSS code were correct.  That was verified a few days ago when several folks got upset with my "kerchunking" the repeater.  I didn't know I was hitting it since my receiver was completely quiet, no matter what position I had the RF/SQL knob in.  I still don't understand why I was able to work 2 meters, but I couldn't receive the output of the 50Mhz repeater.  There's no tone requirement for the receiver.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »

I'm going from memory here, but menu 2 & 3 turn ON
the automatic offset for 2m & 440.
2m is a nominal 600 kc, and 440 is 5 mHz.
The software sets the offsets automatically.
The only time it is not correct is when the rptr
uses an ODD offset. There is one in Greene County PA
that uses a 1 mHz offset.

There is NO MENU item for 6m offset.
You must manually program (tune) the 2-6m frequencies.
Then set the CTCSS.

An easy way to do this is operate "split"
Set VFO-A to the rptr TX freq (the freq you receive)
Then set VFO-B to the rptr input freq.

Press "SPLIT" and it should work fine.

I use an FT-897d, but it is the same as the 857.
KD6ASL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.  With so many features the menus are a bit confusing for a new guy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: