Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I HATE Ubuntu 12.04 !  (Read 31767 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »

...and to continue my previous comments. yesterday I got the itch to take Open SuSE v12.2 Release Candidate 2 XFCE for a spin on my machine. Bad move as the installer has a bug in the auto configuration module. Locked up my machine at the end of the install and hosed the boot loader. Twice. For all I know this could be unique to the XFCE version on the DVD but don't take this as a complaint... If I didn't want issues I shouldn't have been playing with a final (?) Beta.

Long story short, loaded this instead:    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2088

Latest version of Linux Mint 13 XFCE and the installer / setup routine is way better than anything I've seen from them before. Very nice. I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks at a later time, but this one loaded smooth and has run perfectly so far. Very nice first impression despite 512 megs of RAM. If your machine isn't the latest & greatest or burdened by large quantities of memory I recommend you give this one a close look.

BTW: I'm running dual-boot between Win XP and Linux and earlier this year learned something about laying out partitions after the old HDD cashed in its chips. Win XP always dragged when copying between its boot and data partitions. With a dual boot system try to keep all bootable partitions within the first 128 Gigs of the MBR. Do not create more than one primary partition. In my case I'm working with ~300 Gigs of space and installed as follows:

Load Win XP onto a 20 Gig NTFS primary partition. Run all the MS updates & service packs until it's up to the current rev level.
Create one large extended partition that occupies the balance of the drive. Do not create any logical drives or format anything via XP at this time.
Boot your chosen flavor of Linux from the install CD or DVD.
Using the installer's manual partition manager option, create at least three logical drives within the large extended partition...

.  Approximately 10 Gigs as the ROOT logical drive. Set the mount point to  " /  "  and ask the partition utility to format it as EXT4.
.  Approximately 2 Gigs as the SWAP logical drive.
.  Approximately 14 Gigs as the HOME logical drive. Set the mount point to " /HOME " and ask the partition utility to format it as EXT4.

The unused balance of the extended partition should be used as a fourth logical drive formatted with NTFS. You can do this with the Linux or Win XP partition manager. Unless you don't care, you will need to move your DVD drive letter to E or better after the new logical drive is added to Windows. If you create & format the drive within Linux, Windows will want to do a file check on the new partition to index the space the first time you go to it. No Prob, it's normal, it only does that once.

With this layout both operating systems boot within the first 128 Gigs, both can share the space on the top logical drive, and both operating systems run faster than they would with two (or more) primary partitions. Use the big NTFS logical drive for storage. In Win XP this gives you Drive C for the OS and Drive D for data. In Linux you have the usual ROOT, SWAP and HOME partitions plus the big Win XP data drive. If you download a .PDF to D:\ from either OS you can read it from either OS. Very convenient.

But, the real beauty is when you get the itch to try a new version of Linux. Boot from the new DVD, run install, then use the manual option in the partition manager to select the ROOT drive as the format & install target. DO NOT nuke the swap or /HOME drives (unless you want them wiped clean). If you choose the exact same login name(s) as before, your new install will come up with everything in the /HOME drive from the previous version of Linux because you haven't erased /HOME. You will need to set up the desktop color scheme and such, but as far as migrating data? Should be in the same place the way it was for both Windows & Linux before you got the itch to upgrade as long as the login name(s) are the same... This keeps the /HOME directory structure identical and makes a fresh install upgrade of Linux almost painless.

There are two issues that can complicate a dual-boot setup: The first is obvious... Linux can read any Windows partition. Windows can read ONLY Windows partitions. If you'd like to read a file through Windows that was created & stored in the Linux /HOME partition you will be disappointed. This is why the shared data partition should be formatted NTFS. Second issue is a matter of time. Win XP does NOT understand the concept of the BIOS clock being set to GMT with the OS adjusting the offset to local time with or without DST. Linux does, and some versions of Linux (Mint 13 MATE in particular) insist on the hardware clock running GMT and have the Chutzpah to enforce that by default. Every boot auto-sets the clock against a web server. Net result is a machine where the clock is probably wrong most of the time. I had to cheat this machine with MATE by running Azores time in Linux, Chicago time in Windows. I have no idea why that worked, but it did.........  Roll Eyes

Also............  Just for grins I tried using the new BTRFS partition format in Linux. No Go on my machine. Choose EXT4 unless you know better.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KA8SEP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

I have been using Kubuntu since 7.04. I'm sure that the following statement is true for ubuntu... NEVER UPGRADE!!! Always do a fresh install.

Now that doesn't mean you loose everything set up your drives as suggested above and when it's time to upgrade, follow this link, http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?26184-HowTo-Backup-amp-Restore-your-system-my-way-D and instead of wiping the whole drive just the root drive. you keep your home and the list the link shows how to make reinstalls all your software. Very easy and pleasant.

Ted
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »

... I'm running dual-boot between Win XP and Linux ...

I did that a few times in the past. But since I often need to run both operating systems simultaneously, I've been running XP Pro inside Virtualbox for a few years. That is having your cake and eating it too, as the saying goes.

That was one issue I was having; Virtualbox uses a LOT of RAM. And 12.04 uses just enough extra RAM that the upgrade slowed the system down to a crawl when I tried that at first.

Another other big issue was a buggy Gnome 3 (which I immediately installed after I took one look at Unity, and how much RAM it was hogging). Perhaps if I had done a fresh install, I wouldn't have had problems with Gnome 3, but I can't say.

I certainly didn't think so when I started this thread, but I'll probably keep 12.04 for the foreseeable future, as most everything is running very smoothly now under XFCE.

Having said that, I would no longer recommend Ubuntu to a beginner. Maybe I will in the future, but they planted some serious doubts in my mind when they went to Unity.

KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »

Does anyone else besides me regret upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04?

I agree. I was a fan of Ubuntu for a few years, ditched windows awhile back and now do everything under Linux. The Unity desktop under version 12.04 is acceptable on my netbook, and I'll confirm that a fresh install works much better. But I still can't warm up to it on the desktop PC.

Checking distrowatch.org, you can see Ubuntu has fallen from #1 distro and Linux Mint has been holding the spot. So I gave the Mate desktop distro a try a few months ago and haven't looked back. IMHO it installs and runs like an OS should.

Virtualbox is convenient but heavy on the resources, one really needs a dual-core or better machine with lots of RAM. Also, there is no firewire support, so you can't do video and sound editing using firewire devices. Bummer, but there's native Linux apps that'll get the job done.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »

Coincidentally, last night I visited http://distrowatch.org just to see wassup'. The popularity rankings are based on page hits and while that's not a direct correlation to installed base, it is a measure of interest in the distro......... Since then I've been downloading ISO's from here:

http://www.mageia.org/en/downloads/

and here:

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#desktops

Mageia is new to me despite being a branch of Mandriva which had a few excellent distro's that I was running in 2008 - 2009. I haven't thought about Fedora in years, but that doesn't mean Fedora hasn't been thinking about me.......... Sometimes I just get the itch to try something new.  Grin

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »

I noticed something with this installation that I can't quite figure out: When I insert an SD card or DVD, it take the OS a LOT longer to recognize it than it did under 10.04. Sometimes it times out with an error message, but a retry always is successful.

Anybody have any idea why?

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »

Here's an update on the file system access delay problem. I'm stumped.

When I double-click on the desktop File System icon (file mamager)
or
insert an SD card
or
insert a DVD

...there's a delay of roughly 10 seconds, then an error dialog appears:

"Launch Error"
"The folder could not be opened"
"Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

Yet, as soon as this error message appears, the desired window opens. showing all the files and folders.

I just inserted an SD card again. Magically, after trying to open File Manager a couple of times, this problem eventually goes away, at least until the next time I reboot.

There was also a delay seeing a DVD or blank disk in Brasero. All these problems are gone for the time being. I can now instantly access any of the above with no delay; but I guarantee you the next time I reboot, this problem will be back until I open file manager and insert an SD card a couple of times.

Any ideas? I saw nothing in the /var/log files.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »

Could be as simple as diagonal data bits in the file manager launcher icon properties.

If you go long path, like Menu => Utilities => File Manager (or whatever), is there a delay before Thunar or Dolphin (or whatever) opens? If so, consider using the software / package manager to mark the utility for re-install. Then refresh the file manager application same as you would add a new program. If the file manager opens properly going long path, but not through the desktop icon, consider deleting the desktop icon and re-creating it. I'm limited in my experience with Gnome, but you should be able to menu your way to the utility, drag the menu icon to the desktop and drop it. A dialog box should open to ask if you'd like to create a launcher or shortcut, etc........... Yes, you would.

BTW:  Brasero blows. I've wasted more blank media because the software auto-config insists on always burning at max speed and will allow nothing slower. Look for XFBURN in the list of installable software and give it a try. Light, fast, and you can tell it to burn an 8X DVD at 4X to reduce the chances of a hosed block. I always try to burn at half speed 'cuz it's faster than going back to burn another copy after Brasero ruins the blank disk.

Also..............  I caught an amusing buglet in Mint 13 XFCE:     The shortcut key combo to invoke the screen saver is Control-Alt-Delete.

Interesting choice, Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Roll Eyes

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »

Meanwhile, on the Internet........ I did a little surfing this morning on http://distrowatch.com to find two new releases of interest:

1) For those of you who've been disappointed by Gnome 3 / Unity, you are not alone. Snow Linux released their version 3 (Crystal) this week which features Gnome 2 pre-configured to run on top of an otherwise current version of Linux. Better yet, the base kernel is a long term support version of Debian so if you've had good luck with Gnome 2 in the past, Snow Linux should do the same and love you long time.

2) For those of you looking for a truly lightweight Linux distro that will run on a machine otherwise headed for the curb on trash day, look here:   http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Warren Woodford has an excellent eye for detail and his previous releases of MEPIS Linux were always exceptionally ready to run straight off the installer. He's been working on antiX for better than a year that I'm aware of and the same attention to detail shows in this release. Download the Live CD and take it for a spin. antiX features an assortment of lightweight desktop GUI's you've never seen before. This is not intended as a full duty distro that can run the heaviest Linux apps, given that it's intended for obsolete hardware, but for web surfing / e-mail, whatever, it could be more than you need.   (?)

BTW:   On a completely unrelated note, click this if you enjoy clever Photoshopping:    http://www.topky.sk/cl/13/1319925/Blaznive-snimky-z-Marsu--Curiosity-vraj-naslo-na-planete-toto-

Yeah, that's the Tardis................   Cool

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »

Could be as simple as diagonal data bits in the file manager launcher icon properties.

If you go long path, like Menu => Utilities => File Manager (or whatever), is there a delay before Thunar or Dolphin (or whatever) opens? If so, consider using the software / package manager to mark the utility for re-install. ...

Nope, that didn't change this puzzling issue. Thanks anyway.

N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »

Anyway.......... LinuxMint's MATE and Cinnamon desktops are a branch of Gnome 2. MATE runs fairly well on my machine but Cinnamon won't.

As I understand it, Mate is the continuation of the GNOME 2 code base just as Trinity is the continuation of the KDE 3.5 code base.  Cinnamon is a GNOME 2 styled desktop manager built from GNOME 3 components and GTK3.  So far only Mint offers Cinnamon.  There have been some requests to package it for Debian, but this won't occur for the upcoming Debian 8.0, unfortunately.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
KD8RAP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »

I use ubuntu a bit, but usually start with a fresh install when switching to a newer distrubution instead of upgrading the existing version.   Although I much prefer other distributions such as Fedora, Mint, Backtrack5r2, freeBSD, and openBSD.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »

I liked Fedora, too. Our leased e-commerce server runs Red Hat Enterprise Linux, quite similar to Fedora and CentOS which we also have here. And my router software (pfSense) runs on freeBSD. Never tried the other distros.

KX3DX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 04:48:17 AM »

Here's something that baffles me - it's so easy to install Gnome 3 with "Gnome Extensions" on 12.04, why isn't it better known?  Do a google search "12.04 gnome 3", and follow the instructions to install Gnome 3.  Then add "extensions" from the Gnome extensions web site.  With Gnome extensions, you can get Gnome 3 to act like Gnome 2.  I also learned how to theme this whole mess (google changing themes Gnome 3) and now have three computers running 12.04 that operate far better than any previous Ubuntu versions.  Not sure why this isn't more well know....

Dave
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 05:41:38 AM »

What's baffling to me is why Unity is now the default Ubuntu window manager.

Maybe I'll try those extensions someday. Sounds interesting. For now, I like Xubuntu/XFCE.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: