Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I HATE Ubuntu 12.04 !  (Read 29393 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 08:59:16 AM »

Here's an update on the file system access delay problem. I'm stumped.

When I double-click on the desktop File System icon (file mamager)
or
insert an SD card
or
insert a DVD

...there's a delay of roughly 10 seconds, then an error dialog appears:

"Launch Error"
"The folder could not be opened"
"Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

Yet, as soon as this error message appears, the desired window opens. showing all the files and folders.

I just inserted an SD card again. Magically, after trying to open File Manager a couple of times, this problem eventually goes away, at least until the next time I reboot.

There was also a delay seeing a DVD or blank disk in Brasero. All these problems are gone for the time being. I can now instantly access any of the above with no delay; but I guarantee you the next time I reboot, this problem will be back until I open file manager and insert an SD card a couple of times.

Any ideas? I saw nothing in the /var/log files.

UPDATE: The delay is almost exactly 25 seconds, not 10 seconds as I mentioned above.

Happens every time after I reboot, but usually only once. And it doesn't matter what file manager I use, or how I access it.

N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:36 AM »

Unity is the default because Mark Shuttleworth, founder and CEO of Canonical and Ubuntu's dictator for life, decreed that Unity shall be the default.  Just wait until Wayland becomes the default graphical display server supplanting Xorg.  However, Wayland's default status has been pushed back at least one release, as I understand it.  Done right, Wayland could be a very useful technology.  It still has a lot of maturing to do.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »

Ubuntu XFCE 12.04.1 LTS was released today and can be found here:  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/12.04.1/release/

The latest Ubuntu (Gnome 3) 12.04.1 LTS is available here:  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.1/release/

Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS can be downloaded here:  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/12.04.1/release/

The LXDE version hasn't hit the mirror as of this message timestamp, but could happen "soon".

Never change a password on a Friday                
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »

And speaking of interesting variations on the Linux theme, take this for a spin: http://ftp://austrumi.ru.lv/austrumi-2.5.6.iso

Very lightweight version that doesn't feel compromised, full GUI desktop interface, ~220 meg download for the live CD image, but here's the spooky part... Austrumi will boot, load itself into RAM, eject the CD, then run independent of the local drive. I have 512 megs of RAM in this machine and it booted with 109 megs free which should be enough for casual use. This would be like if you had a Windows machine that you absolutely couldn't afford to see corrupted by a web virus but at the same time you really wanted to check something on the web.

Boot Austrumi, do your thing, reboot, and it's like nothing happened.

BTW:  I'm posting this through Firefox with Austrumi and aside from the default language and keyboard map being in Latvian (there is no apostrophe, so I had to edit this lest you think I'm N4NYY) it's a no-brainer to use.

So far I've learned that in Latvian Izit = Exit = Shutdown. The icons are easy to figure. Quite an example of what no-frills computing can do!

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »

Dontcha' just hate it when someone tries to revive a Zombie thread?  Me too, so I'll keep it short.

Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) MATE Release Candidate One saw the light of day this past Sunday. I've been running it since Monday and aside from a few very minor cosmetic issues it runs fast, stable and could be the best Linux I've tried since MEPIS 8.0.15 / KDE 3.59 went buh-bye.

No Kidding. Somebody got this one right.

Here's the 32 Bit version:  http://free.nchc.org.tw/linuxmint/isos/testing/linuxmint-14-mate-dvd-32bit-rc.iso
And the 64 bit version:  http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/debian/mint/testing/linuxmint-14-mate-dvd-64bit-rc.iso

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:50 AM »

Does anyone else besides me regret upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04?

They say Vista was the worst OS that Microsoft has come out with. Well, it seems to me that Ubuntu 12.04 is the Windows Vista of Linux distros.  Angry

I can no longer run much of the software I used to be able to, because it runs s-l-o-w-l-y and even locks up the GUI (even with dual CPUs and 1GB RAM), and Gnome is not what it used to be (for one thing, I can't stand that tiny, buggy pager in the lower RH corner).

Only by installing FVWM-Crystal am I even able to use this piece of junk. Even that didn't solve the above software issue.

Is it only me, or have others noticed this, too?

I put my wife on it, and even she hates it...  I will be switching her to Debian soon...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »

If you look back through this thread, you'll see that N0NB found a solution for it. After following his suggestion (installed Xubuntu and XFCE), we really like Ubuntu 12.04. :-)

N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 06:02:55 AM »

Good to hear, Mike.

Occasionally I'll try the other DEs.  This past week I did install the Mint 14 RC and it has potential even being built on GNOME3.  I also gave KDE 4.9.2 a try on the same RC but even though I was once a dedicated KDE user, this proved to be odd enough that I ditched it.

So far Xfce provides the ability to easily launch applications via the traditional menu or custom launchers, provides needed notifications, doesn't force any sort of network daemon on you (can work with Network Manager, WiCD, or ifupdown scripts without complaint) or system startup scripts (as later versions of GNOME are now dependent on systemd which is not yet fully debugged), gets out of my way but lets me handle removable media via the desktop icons and on and on.  On my home desktop Xfce gives me two separate desktops with multiple workspaces each by handling the ATI dual-head card seemlessly--the only DE to do so.

I see that Cinnamon desktop just landed in Debian Unstable.  I may try that on another partition independent of Linux Mint just to see how it works in a more vanilla installation.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 02:32:55 PM »

I never notice begin slow ! mine is fast  i can switch either win7 or ubuntu 12.4 make no difference for me never had any problem of either one of them !  Wink
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »

They say Vista was the worst OS that Microsoft has come out with.

No, that would be Windows ME.

Well, it seems to me that Ubuntu 12.04 is the Windows Vista of Linux distros.

If you don't like it, then don't use it.  Pick a different distro.  Arch Linux is my favorite personally...

I have Windows Me running on a SONY VAIO with 32 MB of ram, and it runs incredibly well.  It can go for MONTHS at a time without a reboot.  I have done this, as a matter of fact.  It sat in my garage last summer doing nothing but running UI-View32/AGWPE to my Icom IC-2AT.  Never ONCE had an issue.  And as of last night, 2/11/2013, I booted it up, and started MixW 1.45, and it too works quite well for old school RTTY.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »

Does anyone else besides me regret upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04?

They say Vista was the worst OS that Microsoft has come out with. Well, it seems to me that Ubuntu 12.04 is the Windows Vista of Linux distros.  Angry

I can no longer run much of the software I used to be able to, because it runs s-l-o-w-l-y and even locks up the GUI (even with dual CPUs and 1GB RAM), and Gnome is not what it used to be (for one thing, I can't stand that tiny, buggy pager in the lower RH corner).

Only by installing FVWM-Crystal am I even able to use this piece of junk. Even that didn't solve the above software issue.

Is it only me, or have others noticed this, too?

Go Debian!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »

Debian

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 08:28:44 AM »

Well, I would try Debian; but if you read through all the posts in this thread, you'll see the problem has been solved. :-)

Thanks anyway.

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »

Slight change of topic, but anyone see the announcement of the Ubuntu Tablet?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/ubuntu-for-tablets-arriving-on-nexus-7-nexus-10-this-week/

I loaded up the "beta" of this on my Nexus 7 (although it was more like straight Unity a few months ago), and was surprised to find FLDIGI, HAMLIB and other ham related software in the software center. The downside is that there was no optimization for a tablet environment on any of the ham programs, but at least Canonical thought to recompile everything they've always had when they created the repository. It was hardly stable, and I didn't attempt any rig control, but if they come up with an easy SDK and simple way to port applications it might lead to a tablet OS that will actually be useful for ham radio applications.

(note the hand waving "maybe"s and "might"s. What can I say, I'm an optimist)  Grin
N9ZQZ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »

I have used Ubuntu for a few years and recently like the rest hate unity. I found zorin os. It is based on ubuntu but the interface is more like windows. I run it in Virtual as well as natively on a desktop and a netbook. It runs awesome. You can download 32 and 64 bit versions. The dvd can boot a live version so you can be sure all your hardware work and if you like it go ahead and install it.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: