Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Browning golden eagle 3  (Read 9205 times)
KB1GTX

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »

I'm looking for a ch 19 tx xtal for a browning golden eagle radio for my son,, any one have one?

Kb1gtx
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »

GTX:  Those might be hard to come by.  A simple Google search revealed this info:

Browning Golden Eagle Mark II (69T & 69R)
AM-only transmitter uses type 3rd overtone 20pf HC25/u crystals at channel frequency

Browning Golden Eagle Mark II series B with SSB15 transmitter
SSB & AM transmit; uses expensive 20pf crystals 10.695Mhz below channel frequency

If the Browning is an AM only rig then the crystals should be easier to find.

Suggest as a Plan A to use Google and eBay as a potential source of parts

Plan B is to do a search for CB radio repair shops that might have something in stock.  The Golden Eagle was a fine radio in it's time and there should be defunct units setting around some repair shop, someplace.

Plan C is to see if you can have them cut for your needs  (Use correct model number)

K8AXW

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »

There would be a modern solution by using an Si570 oscillator. I have seen this for a Kenwood TR-2200 as replacement for all Xtals.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »

Perhaps see if there is a parts donor out there? Maybe there is a "basket case" radio that has the crystals you need (plus any other extra parts you may need down the road)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »

I'm looking for a ch 19 tx xtal for a browning golden eagle radio for my son,, any one have one?

Kb1gtx

Don't overlook crystal mfrs/supply houses like International Crystal Manufacturing. 

They have an unbelievably large onsite database, often is the case I don't even have to know what the actual xtal type is, I simply call 'em on the phone and tell 'em what it is for, they look in their database and tell me what it will cost to ship.  Awesome. 

W1EL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:45 AM »

+100 for ICM
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »

I have a set of TX and RX channel 19 crystals for a Sears 1965 walkie talkie. If those are compatible, you can have them. I do not have the spec on them.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »

I have a set of TX and RX channel 19 crystals for a Sears 1965 walkie talkie. If those are compatible, you can have them. I do not have the spec on them.

For the Browning Golden Eagle, not  a chance. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »

For the Browning Golden Eagle, not  a chance. 

What are his options? That is like the boatanchor of the CB world.  A parts unit would be expensice.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 06:43:31 AM »

Whaddya' mean?

I was cleaning out the garage last fall and..........................................

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:18 AM »

What are his options? That is like the boatanchor of the CB world

I made a list of his options in my previous post.  3WD made an excellent suggestion.  Many years ago when I needed a special AT cut crystal for a homebrew frequency counter I contacted International Crystal.  They made me one and the cost was nominal; both in being able to provide the correct crystal and the cost!

GTX: During your search, maintain a pucker factor of at least 8 because if you are lucky enough to find those crystals, expect to pay through the ass for them!  The Golden Eagle was the "Cadillac" of the CB radios and are seldom on the market.  Parts even less so.
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »

Yes it is, but my 12 year old son is God of the sixth grade with his 3foot wide cb radio.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »

GTX:   Cheesy  I can appreciate your quest.  Keep the boy going in this direction.  Good luck!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »

Yes it is, but my 12 year old son is God of the sixth grade with his 3foot wide cb radio.

Nice!
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »

Back in the early 70's my daddy scraped up enough money to buy a Browning Golden Eagle. He and my mother were both licensed CB radio operators and with the big beam on the roof they had lots of talks with folks 5-10-15 miles away. That was a very pretty radio.

Purchasing new cut crystals can be affordable ($15-20 each, I have had to do that for some R-390A receivers). using a VFO plugged just into that blank crystal slot would be a fun experience for your child. You just need to reinforce in them that they cannot be "freebanding" (repeat, no freebanding). You would want to write down a list of the frequencies for each channel in KHz.

Heck, maybe the Browning could even be range extended to the full 40 channels with a VFO. I think some realignment might be called for to peak RX/TX performance but I bet it would work.

All of the other channels would remain crystal controlled except for the slot with the dead crystal and flipping to that channel would engage the VFO source. You would probably have him learning ten times more about radio if he had a VFO and the makings of a new ham radio operator if he realizes that he could go all over a band

<joke> the first time I hear him on 7415 I am going to hunt ya down and put a pin through his coax cable. <lol>  (7415, big pirate radio frequency)

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: