Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously - Why buy a Flex 6700?  (Read 41720 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »

I wouldn't even consider buying one of these until they've been on the market for at least a year. Let others work out all of the inevitable hardware and software bugs that are bound to plague the early versions. Being an early adopter can be a real bitch sometimes.

I must admit, however, that reading the spec sheet for this thing is a real eye-opener. Just the fact that they're no longer pumping data back and forth between the rig and a PC running Windows (which was never designed to be a real-time OS) over firewire is sure to help performance considerably. The question remains whether they can make everything work properly right out of the gate. I doubt it.
WA7KGX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »

I saw the mock-up at Seaside this year.
Two items are show stoppers for me
considering the premium price.

1) Low power output on 2m

2) No ability to transmit on the upcoming MF band
without a transverter.

Considering that the board Flex were showing
looked like a production item, the lack of an
actual radio making noises in the booth was
significant.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »

By the time we actually get the MF band Flex will be selling the FLEX 12,000 series...
6700 will be long obsolete.

Grin
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »

Hi All,
   Do you think anyone dare to ask this question of an Icom 7800 owner that shelled out $12,300 (current AES Price) or an owner of a Yaesu 9000MP at $11870 (AES Price)? I have friends that own the Icom 7800 and an Icom 756 Pro III in the shack and no one questioned them, it is more like a Wow what a station.
   I saw the problems with the 5000 and decided not to buy one. When the 3000 came out I bought one, no justification required. When the 6700/6500 announcement was made I decided I wanted one. I put my order in on the first August and there was no justification needed. It is my money and I wanted it. This thread is worn out and only serves as a place for unhappy Flex-5000 owners to vent.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »

Hi All,
   Do you think anyone dare to ask this question of an Icom 7800 owner that shelled out $12,300 (current AES Price) or an owner of a Yaesu 9000MP at $11870 (AES Price)? I have friends that own the Icom 7800 and an Icom 756 Pro III in the shack and no one questioned them, it is more like a Wow what a station.
   I saw the problems with the 5000 and decided not to buy one. When the 3000 came out I bought one, no justification required. When the 6700/6500 announcement was made I decided I wanted one. I put my order in on the first August and there was no justification needed. It is my money and I wanted it. This thread is worn out and only serves as a place for unhappy Flex-5000 owners to vent.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ

Or a place for future Flex 6700/6500 owners to try to justify spending their money on a radio that does not exist yet.   Grin

Gene
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »

When the 6700/6500 announcement was made I decided I wanted one. I put my order in on the first August and there was no justification needed

No justification needed?  The radio does not really exist yet, it has not been proven to work as advertised as far as I know?  In addition, they will not let anything out regarding the software which I think has not been written yet.  Only thing everyone know for sure is that it will NOT be a network radio with the first release but yet they push that it is designed for networking.  Think of it, they want you to purchase their great network radio.  However,  the networking will not be in the first release it will come later.  No, I am not an unhappy Flex owner, I have a 5000 loaded, 3000 and 1500 and will have a 6000 series once I see they WORK as advertised.  But, no way would I give Flex $$ for a radio I cannot see work,  with their record on delivery it may be a LONG time before you get what you think you are getting.  Have you not looked at their history?

Good Luck,
Tim

Real techies don't use knobs.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »

Hi All,
   Do you think anyone dare to ask this question of an Icom 7800 owner that shelled out $12,300 (current AES Price) or an owner of a Yaesu 9000MP at $11870 (AES Price)?
73, Larry  WB8LBZ

Larry, I believe the question is being asked because Icom and Yaesu do not ask for a couple of thousand dollar$ down payment for a radio that is not yet in existence. Did Kenwood ask for $$$$ for a yet to be delivered TS-990s? No of course not. Kenwood buyers (and Icom and Yaesu) buyers would not put up with that kind of BS marketing.

Flexradio however knows that their rabid my radio is the best customers will do anything to continue the myth. Even if it is not rational, like putting $$$$$$$$ down on a promise from a compnay that has one of the worst track records for promises....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:03:30 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »

Think of it, they want you to purchase their great network radio.  However,  the networking will not be in the first release it will come later. 

Tim

I did not know that. What then is the interface if not Ethernet? Surely not not Firewire again.

It will Come later, yes. It took Flexradio over 3 years to Fix the 160 meter xmit spurs on the 5K and then only after a bit of nagging.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »

I did not know that. What then is the interface if not Ethernet? Surely not not Firewire again

Ethernet will be in place for the GUI over your LAN but this will not be an Internet radio with the initial software release.  From Flex:  "Initial software enables operation within the home network domain. Future releases will enable operation from any location in the world with an Internet connection."  It is my understanding eventually this will be a fully routable radio.  If I am wrong someone please correct me. This is a big deal for many of us.

Tim

Real techies don't use knobs.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »

And the funny thing is, Elecraft already has a remote K3 head for Internet access, with knobs.  The head is under a grand to add to your K3.  There is a YouTube video of it out there in action, response time is amazingly good.

So, instead of windows crashing and interrupting your QSO, it will be your ISP hiccuping, or your kid firing up the latest network hog of a game!  Lol

Honestly, for the money, you'd be better off buying a highend rfspace SDR and pairing it with a high quality knobbed rig, link the two together so the VFOs track.  You could even do that with the K3 already and just leave your SDR on the network and access it remotely and use the k3 head.

The next few years will be interesting for SDRs, but it's still a slow path, so I think we are talking 3-5 years before we get the real game changers.

WA7LZO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »

I am looking forward to sitting in Starbucks, sipping my 190 degree Vente Latte, whilst punching and tapping away on my Windows 8 Microsoft Surface PRO, via the Starbucks WiFi, connected over the net to my remote 6700. Yes, Starbuck's WiFi is slow, so I expect to have but one band w/ one slice, at least while operating remote under such a slow connection. Perfectly adequate for me. As to timing, my expectation is sometime in 2014 or 2015, and I am very patient. If the 6700 materializes sooner, with the Ethernet Internet remote connection capability, well, that'll be icing on the cake. Hopefully, perhaps Icom will introduce a Flex 6700 buster, and we'll have at least 2 choices. Expensive, Yes, but the 6700 is the same price as an IC-7700, and it may turn out to be a much superior radio. Only time will tell.

Larry
WA7LZO
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:29:59 AM by WA7LZO » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »

There is a movement in this direction even in ham radio. First step called KX3.... A little bigger than iPhone
but more power that could have been delivered in Iphone size.
Ignacy, NO9E

The non ham and military segments with regards to SDR development are going compact.  For example, there is no reason why an iPhone sized device couldnt be created for hams.  

The KX3 is hardly "a little bigger" than an iPhone.  The KX3 cabinet is 43.7 cubic inches, the iPhone 5, about 3.3 cubic inches. That is over an order of magnitude difference.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »

Some of us, may be wondering what will on the ham market,  10 years from now and what the low price will be?
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 04:28:04 AM »

I am looking forward to sitting in Starbucks, sipping my 190 degree Vente Latte, whilst punching and tapping away on my Windows 8 Microsoft Surface PRO, via the Starbucks WiFi, connected over the net to my remote 6700.

Larry
WA7LZO

Meanwhile in the Real Ham World - - I will continue to chug my reheated yesterdays Folgers sitting in the unkempt radioroom in my Boxers and T-Shirt, twiddling the knobs while working DX the Old School Way.

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:30:08 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »

WA7LZO, now THAT is how we roll with SDR.  Well-stated, Larry.  Bravo. 

K9IUQ, Stan, I hear ya.  In fact, I got my TS520S down from the attic (still in mint condition from 1978) after reading your posts for the past several months.  You have inspired me, Sir, to never forget the Old School Way!   Smiley    The 520S sits to the left of the dual monitors for my Flex 3000.  I still fire it up and spin the knob and work a few contacts at least once a week.  Not because I don't like Flex (call me a Flex fanatic...if the shoe fits), but because I like the memories of how hamming was when I was a teenager in 1978 (and that experience is still valid for many today, perfectly happy with knobs and dials).  Nothing like tuning that pair of 6146B's and hammering on the straight key for that TS520S to remind me what it as like.  It's nostalgic, and as I get old I like to remember.  But then I see a pileup spotted on the DX cluster, and I swivel the chair back to the Flex and I am back in the 21st century again! 

Man, I love this hobby.

Back to the original topic.  The 6700, regardless of ready for prime time, is a bit too expensive for me.  I have some heartburn spending $8K+ on any rig, regardless of manuf.  I guess I just don't have the skills to take advantage of an extra couple of microvolts of sensitivity on the receiver.  The Flex 3000 does everything I need.

But, if I had some extra money in my pocket, I would buy one in advance.  I have grown accustomed to being on the "bleeding edge" of sorts at work with software, so Flex aligns the hobby with that approach.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: