Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously - Why buy a Flex 6700?  (Read 38715 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:03 AM »

Since you can't but one yet - you can just "preorder" one - the subject line of this thread is misleading and incorrect.

If you have a preorder with deposit down and are part of the Limited Edition advance offering, the present expectation is Q1 2013 for delivery, with the Beta test units in the field as the Q4 2012 project focus. 

If you place a new order now (as of Nov 2012) you have several choices on payment - pay when the unit ships or if you really want to you can prepay - and you can call Flexradio and work out something (read the website).  On expected delivery the Flex-Radio website is quite clear "**Due to high demand, orders placed now have a target ship date of early 2nd quarter 2013**"

So you can't actually "buy one" now.

- Beta Limited Edition units are being placed with the Beta Team
- Pre-orders with deposits (Limited Edition offer) target as of Nov 2012 is Q1 2013
- Newly placed orders (post-Limited Edition offer) target ship is Q2 2013

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »

Since you can't but one yet - you can just "preorder" one - the subject line of this thread is misleading and incorrect.

Steve
K9ZW

I got enough SPIN from the politicians, why do I have to get it on eham too?...

If I want to read the Flexradio Advertisements I will go to the Flexradio website. Why must you put them here on eham on a discussion forum??

Or do you just wannna an excuse to advertise  your website?  Huh

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »

I'm curious why there's a quarter lag between the "limited edition" version and the next production run. In this day and age, any decent CM can easily ramp production much faster than that.

I'm beginning to think that Flex is trying to play the artificial scarcity game here in order to drive up demand.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 06:10:44 AM »

Just as predicted, Flex is already slipping the original availability dates which is not surprising at all since no one has seen a working FLex-6000 or any working software.   I think the Flex 'engineers' bit off a little more than they could chew on this project.  I would not be surprised if the dates slip even further.

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »

I'm curious why there's a quarter lag between the "limited edition" version and the next production run. In this day and age, any decent CM can easily ramp production much faster than that.

I'm beginning to think that Flex is trying to play the artificial scarcity game here in order to drive up demand.

Since you are curious I will attempt to explain. It costs money to ramp up production (assuming you actually have a working product). Ask yourself this: Does Flexradio act they have extra cash? OK, they got some extra $$$ from those in the "Flexradio Bubble" (Thank you Bill Maher  Wink ) putting huge down payments on a radio that only existed as a Flexradio promise.

I suggest there is nothing artificial about this game. Flexradio can not come thru with their original promise and like a well known recently defeated politician, has to spin, change the story and give excuses. Let us now call it the Blame Game.

This should not be a surprise to anyone who has followed Flexradio the last few years. They are merely repeating what they have always done in the past.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:50:26 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

Not that this will actually happen, but things like this can.  If Flex struggles to deliver 4Q and there is not even a working prototype early 1Q then people might start asking for their money back.  If Flex does not have money in reserve and hastily announced a new product that stunted old product sales, you could see them potentially going belly up and a lot of people not getting their deposits back.  These things are delicate, it just takes someone pulling the wrong brick from the bottom of the stack to make it topple.

Personally, I hope they deliver and stay alive and become something better!

What they took on software wise though was no small task!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »

If Flex does not have money in reserve and hastily announced a new product that stunted old product sales, you could see them potentially going belly up and a lot of people not getting their deposits back. 

This is exactly what could happen. I can not understand why Flexradio would announce a new product so far in advance and effectively diminish demand for their present products. The way things look now they should have waited until Dayton Hamfest 2013 to announce the 6000 series.

Stan K9IUQ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 05:43:12 AM »

The Kenwood TS-990 was officially announced in August 2011 after being the subject of rumors for several years. According to most on its Yahoo Group, the 990 is still a long way from showing up in U.S. stores.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 05:58:27 AM »

The very first post on the TS-990 Yahoo Group (August 28, 2011):

Kenwood JVC annouced today at the JARL Ham Fair in Tokyo Japan a successer to
the TS-950SDX. This new model is tenatively scheduled to be released in the
later half of 2012. Stay tuned for more details.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »

Kenwood JVC annouced today at the JARL Ham Fair in Tokyo Japan a successer to
the TS-950SDX. This new model is tenatively scheduled to be released in the
later half of 2012. Stay tuned for more details.

Apples to Oranges.

Kenwood is not accepting advanced payments from customers for the TS-990 many months in advance of its expected release date to fund their company, unlike Flex Radio. 

Everyone realizes that release dates slip and expect it.   However, Flex is holding on to other people's money while the dates continue to slip.  Since the announcement of the Flex-6000, there has been a flood of used Flex-5000a available.  I am sure that has impacted Flex's 5000 a sales.  Flex has proven not to be very smart business wise in the past, and it seems to continue on.

Gene

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

Kenwood is a much larger company than Flex with more divisions and more products. Flex essentially has three products (1500, 3000, 5000A) aside from their commercial offering, so they can't afford to cannibalize sales of existing products.

Kenwood is not going to cannibalize sales of the 590s by pre-announcing the 990 because the price differential is too high ($1500 versus a likely $7500), whereas the Flex-5000A and 6500 differ in price by only $1500.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »

Kenwood has shown working models of the TS-990s at major hamfests.

As far as is known publicly, Flexradio does not have a working 6000 series Model to demonstrate at Hamfests.

Also unlike Flexradio, Kenwood is known for selling only finished products. Kenwood does not expect customers to be Beta Testers.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:55:18 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »

Kenwood has a large dealer network they can count on for orders. No doubt their reps have been soliciting early orders. Flex has no dealers, at least in the the U.S.  

You ignore that Flex has added features to older Flex radios such as the wonderful and unique Tracking Notch Filter they added recently. My TS-850 remains just as it was in 1992, flakey display and all. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:30:31 AM by K0OD » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »

You ignore that Flex has added features to older Flex radios such as the wonderful and unique Tracking Notch Filter they added recently.

Multiple Tracking filters in hamradios have been around for a long time. The Flex 5 K was released in 2008 and just got the tracking notch filter recently.

What I will not ignore: In 2010 (2 years after the release of the Flex 5K) when I bought my Flex 5K, there was no notch filter manual or automatic that worked at all. No NB that worked. Spurs on 160/80 meters. The CW mode was unusable. No usable FM mode. No tones for 10 mtr FM repeaters. ETC and ETC.

Flexradio in the past has released unfinished Products. It takes them years to get even basic features to work properly.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:49:26 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »

No other ham radio has anything like the Flex RF TNF as you well know. And it was added gratis and perfectly functioning long after the 5000 came out. What a nice gift!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t17ipMS8gAk&feature=related

This just goes on and on and on with you.... still bringing up features the radio didn't have three years ago and that were, even then, temporarily disabled in short-lived Betas.
Again, you know that!

Off to work...
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: