Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously - Why buy a Flex 6700?  (Read 37012 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »

Again, you know that!

Jeff, my Flexer Friend:

I no longer live in the "Flexradio Bubble", which is why I know things that you do not.

Wink Smiley

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

TNF may have been added gratis, but the point is that Flex had no notch capability at all for years until TNF was implemented.

This is the crux of Stan's point. Flex has a record of selling half-baked rigs that are missing features that bottom of the line competitor rigs have right out of the box, or the features just don't work properly (CW, etc.)

Given their track record, I'll be very surprised if Flex ships the Flex-6000 series without major functionality missing or inoperable in some way.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »

Also, thank Stan for his relentless stance with Flex for fixing lots of the issues, all done with no reward to him.

Flex is no better than the other manufacturers out there.. It's just reality.

Flex ownership cycle

First exposure to cool looking hype
The purchase ( either the users is thrilled or dismayed depending on what they expected )
The dismayed try to make it work, usually leads to returning in 30 days or selling it.
The thrilled users play and have a lot of fun, because they are playing as much computer guru as they are radio guru..
The fun and lusters fades as the users gets back to focused radio operation
The radio becomes more work than fun
They either buy the hype on the upgrade for the next better rig or sell
The cycle repeats until the users moves on.

Yes, I still have mine, it's still useable for what I do.  I honestly have more fun operating the KX3, but I also like new exciting challenges.

The next gen of radios may begin to obsolete radios like the flex line because they'll have knobs, displays and robust computer interface, kind of the direction the KX3 is headed, but we will get more serious base stations.  The K4 might be such a radio when it arrives on the scene.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »

The fun and lusters fades as the users gets back to focused radio operation
The radio becomes more work than fun

Well said and very true. It is interesting that regular SDR posters K9IUQ, KE5JJP, and W6UV all owned Flex 5K's, But no longer are Flex Owners. I could name at least 10 more calls that do not post here but read our posts and occasionally give me private emails.

Also, thank Stan for his relentless stance with Flex for fixing lots of the issues, all done with no reward to him.

Very few hams will say that publicly but I have heard it many times privately. Instead of going with the flow, keeping my mouth shut and not rocking the boat, I told the "Flex Emperor" he had no clothes. He also had warts, bad breath and a huge bugger hanging from the nose.

Yes, I took a different route, a path rarely traveled. I tried to make the Flexradio Company live up to their advertising.

The squeaking wheel always gets the grease. I was a Union Steward for 15 years in another life. I knew how to get the "Ball Rolling," and get things fixed. Most importantly, I knew how to win arguments. I squeaked and squeaked some more. I was relentless, especially after I was banned from the Flex Reflectors for posting publicly what many Flexers were thinking.

I was ridiculed and called many names here on eham. I got really nasty emails from some Flex Lovers,  almost all unsigned.

The only reward I ever wanted or needed was an occasional comment like you just gave me.
I took a $1200 loss when I sold my Flex 5K. I owned it for 11 months. It was the most expensive and disappointing experience in my 52 year ham career.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:53:24 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2012, 04:49:43 AM »

Tim W4TME from FlexRadio has shared a link to for EDN Network journal's write up on the FLEX-6000 architecture:

http://www.edn.com/design/analog/4401014/Social-media-meets-morse-code

"Applied Imagination" in design - really gets a person enthused!

Be 100% clear that the capabilities will be improved update-by-update.

I had a blast with the "growing up" of the Flex-5000A in my shack - frustrations at times, especially when I didn't read the directions/notes - and a huge amount of fun as features were added, tweaked, corrections made, and the firmware & software upgraded.

Why "buy" a Flex-6700?  That "Applied Imagination" and radio room Fun about sums it up for me! 

If you have that "joie de vivre" that makes exploring the new and exciting a pleasure, the upcoming Flex-6700/6500 may just fit your ticket!

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »

Tim W4TME from FlexRadio has shared a link to for EDN Network journal's write up on the FLEX-6000 architecture:

I had a blast with the "growing up" of the Flex-5000A in my shack - frustrations at times, especially when I didn't read the directions/notes - and a huge amount of fun as features were added, tweaked, corrections made, and the firmware & software upgraded.

Why "buy" a Flex-6700?  That "Applied Imagination" and radio room Fun about sums it up for me!  

If you have that "joie de vivre" that makes exploring the new and exciting a pleasure, the upcoming Flex-6700/6500 may just fit your ticket!

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

Are you trying for the 2013 Flex Goodwill Ambassador award?  I hope Flex is compensating you well for all of your advertising you do for them.

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

I hope Flex is compensating you well for all of your advertising you do for them.
Gene

They have never compensated me and I have given them more free advertising than 10 of him..

Wink Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:54:31 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »

yeah Man, it is right up there with "Game Changer" or "SmartSDR".....

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »

You got that right. Update is their middle name. It took em only 4 years to get PSDR updated to have the same working features as any knobbed radio.

Stan K9IUQ
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »

yeah Man, it is right up there with "Game Changer" or "SmartSDR".....

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ

"Applied Imagination"... Ha Ha!  You need a lot of "Applied Imagination" when foolishly ordering a Flex-6000 sight unseen, especially without any working hardware or software for demo.  

I wonder how much "Applied Imagination" those guys will need well into 2013 before their signature series Flex-6000 radios are delivered?  And how much "Applied Imagination" will be required until Flex delivers on its new set of 'promises' years down the road?   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Gene

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:39:20 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:27 PM »

Obligatory car analogy:

v1.0 The engine runs, but roughly, and tends to stall while driving requiring the driver to pull over and restart it. The brakes are functional, but there's a 3-5 second lag from the time the pedal is pressed until the brakes engage. There's a button on the dashboard for air conditioning, but it doesn't work. The windshield wipers smear water around on the glass without removing it. Smog emissions are well above acceptable limits. Driver must have IQ >150 to successfully operate vehicle without stuttering.

v1.1 Engine not quite as rough, but still stalls regularly. No improvement in brake function. A/C button engages the heater. Company promises FW fix for smog emissions problem ("real soon now"). Rabid enthusiasts frequent auto discussion boards claiming the car is perfect in every way. Wipers cease to function.

v1.2 Company works for six months on new "update" and the result is a new paint job. Enthusiasts widely praise update. Brakes still not working properly. A/C button now engages A/C, but only functions when temperature is less than 75 degrees. Emissions still above limits, but FW fix is still due any day now.

v1.3 Company improves brake function so that lag is almost (but not quite) gone. Adds side window wipers (but windshield wipers still not working 100%). Fix for emissions problem identified, but requires returning car to factory for hardware update. Company announces next generation product and rabid fans have orgasm.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »

Hey, Stan.  A former Union Steward!  I used to be in management at a union company, and for the benefit of those without that experience, let me tell you that I always found Union Stewards to be persistent.  And to get re-elected, represented their Brothers/Sisters well.  So now I'm not surprised by your diligence. 

I don't have a Flex (currently a K3 owner, running remote), but do enjoy the give and take on technology and mfg strategies.

John.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »

Hey, Stan.  A former Union Steward!  I used to be in management at a union company, and for the benefit of those without that experience, let me tell you that I always found Union Stewards to be persistent.  And to get re-elected, represented their Brothers/Sisters well.  So now I'm not surprised by your diligence.  
John.

Hey John
Being a Union Steward was an eye opener. Being an elective position meant I had to do a decent job or get defeated by someone better. One thing I learned is most (Union) Brothers wanted the Steward to do the fighting and arguing  for them. Most Union friends I dealt with did not want to want to rock the boat or squeak the wheel.

Ultimately I gave it up after 15 years. I never was defeated, I just got tired of the constant bickering and lack of support from the Union members who only went to a Union meeting when there was a contract pending.  Wink

FWIW I had almost as many management friends (off work) as Union friends. I am retired now but still love a good discussion.  Wink

I see you live in in S. CO. I lived in Florence, CO from about 1969-1973. I worked at the Johns Manville drywall factory as a Mechanic. The Teamsters were the Union, however I was not active in that union as a Steward but was a member.

I was very active as W0ODG back then.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:45:24 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »

Company announces next generation product and rabid fans have orgasm.

Jerry, your sense of humor has gotten much better since you dumped your Flex 5K...

Still Laffing,

Stan K9IUQ

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2012, 03:38:59 AM »

It is funny to read the comments section of the article.  Summary of the article is that it is just another marketing advertisement for Flex Radio.  Not much substance, kind of like the current state of the non-working mock-ups of the Flex-6000 that Flex has been showing at the Hamfests.   Cheesy

Gene
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: