Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously - Why buy a Flex 6700?  (Read 44716 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »

Why shouldn't there be skeptics?   If your looking for the fan club it's definitely not located here, sorry about that chap!  The conversations tend to be more reality based here and people can find it abrasive, so I sympathize how bad realty might feel for the true fans when they come and read stuff here.

I find it very interesting how many Flex fans evolve. You are an excellent example. You have changed your Flex views tremendously since you first came here. So have many others.

When you first buy a Flexradio everything is wonderful. You believe all those rosy advertisements and happy posts on the Flex Reflector. After a while reality sets in and that warm Flex feeling changes.  Wink

Almost all the posters here have owned a Flexradio. The newbie Flexers invariably find it offensive that anyone one would say something derogatory about their beloved Flexradio. They find it hard to believe that, indeed, the Flexradios have MANY faults that are never discussed freely on Flexradio sponsored forums.

Stan K9IUQ

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:36 PM »

Use the Ignore Button to improve your Signal-to-Noise Ratio
I enjoy the tranquility "This user is currently ignored" the filter provides.  

Why come here at all? Using the ignore button only adds to your Flexradio ignorance.
Seeking opinions that only agree with you does not keep you informed. Ask Mitt Romney if that worked for him....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Indeed.  And while you are ignoring all those opinions you don't want to hear, take the time to look up the pitfalls of "groupthink", something that one does not have to worry about here unless they are ignoring every opinion they don't like.  

Isn't it groupthink when the ultra-negative trolls rant on without facts, just negative predictions?

In the end it is my money and my choice, and not anything subject to their baseless disapproval.

Seeing the dross included when you quote the negativism ringleader, with its divisive reach to politics (another completely off-topic pejorative reference intended as a distraction), putting these doomsayers on "Ignore" is additive to any actual discussion.

Why will I buy a Flex-6700?  Because I value the potential, have been happy with my Flex-5000A experience, and I enjoy a chance to work with new products.

Does it mean that anyone else's negative opinions are invalid?  No - they are valid for them.  Their opinions just don't apply for me - I have my own, thank you.

I really like this hobby, the people, and getting radio time.  I see how the Flex-6700 will expand my opportunities and let me dabble in the latest thing.  

And that is good enough reason to the person who needs to be happy - me!

Filtering out the mindless naysaying is avoiding the groupthink you worry about - the baseless rants about a product not even released are not contributory to conversation.  

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

Flex-6000 Series Postings: (These are my opinions folks, and do enjoy thinking about what this new radio offers me as a ham)

Flex-6000 Series – Newsletters, Armchair Speculators and My Impressions
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/flex-6000-series-newsletters-armchair-speculators-and-my-impressions/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Thin Client Impact
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-thin-client-impact/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Ethernet Impact
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-ethernet-impact/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Slices Impact
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-slices-impact/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Diversity Reception Impact
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-diversity-reception-impact/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Net Ready Impact
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-net-ready-impact/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – The Down Side
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-the-down-side/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Deep (and Total) Impact – Predictions
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-deep-and-total-impact-predictions/

Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Lessons Learned and Series Wrap Up  
http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/flex-6700-fantasies-dreaming-what-might-be-series-lessons-learned-and-series-wrap-up/

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »

Why will I buy a Flex-6700?  Because I value the potential

The potential is definitely there, the question is whether Flex Radio can execute on that potential. Their track record with the 5000A leaves something to be desired, and if it's any indication of things to come, then early buyers of the 6000 series will be in for a real roller coaster ride. I hope you all have back-up rigs..

I would have much more respect for Flex Radio if they had announced the Flex-6000 series like Apple announces a new product: show working hardware/software, and, by the way, you can buy it next week. Instead, Flex choose to announce the product almost a year before any working hardware was available. Not only that, but they started taking orders requiring a substantial deposit months in advance.

It's now late in Q4 and no one outside of Flex (and presumably any field testers covered by NDA) has seen working hardware or software.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2012, 03:02:29 AM »

Filtering out the mindless naysaying is avoiding the groupthink you worry about - the baseless rants about a product not even released are not contributory to conversation.  

As opposed to what?  Baseless speculation, 'fantasies' and 'dreams' such as yours about a product that does not exist in working form yet?  If you base your 'fantasies' and 'dreams' on the track record of Flex Radio, then you are going to be terribly disappointed. 

I really have to wonder about someone who spends so much time and effort writing about his 'fantasies' and 'dreams' for a Ham radio product.  Roll Eyes

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2012, 04:23:59 AM »

Flex-6700 Fantasies

Oh my Goodness. 12 links to your website in one post. This may set a record for self promotion. eham needs to charge you advertising rates for your posts.

At least you got something right. - -     Flex-6700 Fantasies which really says it all about the 6700.  Cheesy  Cheesy

I really have to wonder about someone who spends so much time and effort writing about his 'fantasies' and 'dreams' for a Ham radio product.  Roll Eyes

At this point, all a Flexer can do is Fantasize and Dream about the 6700. There are no other options.   Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

the baseless rants about a product not even released are not contributory to conversation.  

Why then must you post links to your baseless Flexradio promoting rants about a product not even released?Huh?

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:19:00 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2012, 06:17:42 AM »

Why will I buy a Flex-6700?  Because I value the potential

The potential is definitely there, the question is whether Flex Radio can execute on that potential. Their track record with the 5000A leaves something to be desired, and if it's any indication of things to come, then early buyers of the 6000 series will be in for a real roller coaster ride. I hope you all have back-up rigs..

I would have much more respect for Flex Radio if they had announced the Flex-6000 series like Apple announces a new product: show working hardware/software, and, by the way, you can buy it next week. Instead, Flex choose to announce the product almost a year before any working hardware was available. Not only that, but they started taking orders requiring a substantial deposit months in advance.

It's now late in Q4 and no one outside of Flex (and presumably any field testers covered by NDA) has seen working hardware or software.

Track record is important, though not a limiting nor defining factor.  Flex Radio Systems has learned a huge amount about its Ham Radio customers, and new product introductions & upgrades along the Flex-5000 development process. 

Have I been happy with my Flex-5000A (an early one BTW)?  Increasingly so as the software and firmware have improved. 

It is naiive, and bluntly being negative just to be negative, to predict that those lessons learned would not be part & parcel of the Flex-6000 Signature Series roll-out.  Given the huge step forward the new series has adopted for its hardware it is churlish & foundationless to rant on predicting Flex Radio Systems hadn't absorbed the software & ham community relations learning as well.

If a ham doesn't like Flex Radio Systems, feels their past Flex Radio experience wasn't positive, isn't interested in SDR radios, doesn't/can't afford the investment of a new radio, or simply prefers some other radio, hey "bully for them" - it is their shack, isn't it? 

Their decision and their opinions matter, but they never define reality for others.  In my case I have had a huge amount of fun with my Flex-5000A, consider the 5000A a tremendous value, and as I have written at length I do see a huge step forward for my hobby experience in the Flex-6000 series when it comes out.

In my ROI (Return on Investment) calculations I am willing to front a refundable deposit to get an early slot with some added perks.  I've done the same on numerous purchases in my life - I love things like Kickstarter where I can support a project from an early stage. And when it is ready, it is ready (I need to make sure my checkbook is ready then too!).

If instant gratification and "instant perfect" is the most important part of a new radio to a person, then they should wait until the radio series is out and proven.  That is their ROI evaluation to avoid their personally experiencing the leading/bleeding edge.

Their choice and I would fully agree with anyone making the choice to "wait and see" or "not for me."  Where I disagree to the core is with the unfounded speculative rantings of negative folk who have made a hobby of being “forum trolls” all about a future product they openly declare they have no intent in purchasing. 

The naysayers should go have fun with whatever actually does trip their trigger - life is too short waste reading their moaning as they play some sort of Don Quixote jousting at figments of their imaginations about products rollouts in the future. 

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »

The naysayers should go have fun with whatever actually does trip their trigger - life is too short waste reading their moaning as they play some sort of Don Quixote jousting at figments of their imaginations about products rollouts in the future.  

That is hilarious coming from someone who blogs his 'fantasies' and 'dreams' about a Ham radio product that has not even been demonstrated to work yet.   Roll Eyes

There will always be fools who buy into the Flex Radio marketing nonsense and empty promises.  Those that do are in for some hard lessons to come.  

You should go find somewhere else to advertise your blog if you are only looking for those sympathetic to Flex Radio.

Gene
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »

Their choice and I would fully agree with anyone making the choice to "wait and see" or "not for me."  Where I disagree to the core is with the unfounded speculative rantings of negative folk who have made a hobby of being “forum trolls” all about a future product they openly declare they have no intent in purchasing.

Unfounded? Nonsense! Most of the speculation regarding the 6000 series I've read on this forum is based on Flex's track record with their earlier products. Since we aren't mind readers with access to the inner workings of the minds of Flex management, their track record is all we have to go on. In my experience, a company's prior track record is a pretty good indicator of future actions.

Almost all of the "forum trolls" that you decry own or have owned Flex rigs, so any "negative" comments they make come from direct experience. I find that compelling.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »

Track record is important, though not a limiting nor defining factor.  Flex Radio Systems has learned a huge amount about its Ham Radio customers, and new product introductions & upgrades along the Flex-5000 development process.  

Have I been happy with my Flex-5000A (an early one BTW)?  Increasingly so as the software and firmware have improved.  

It is naiive, and bluntly being negative just to be negative, to predict that those lessons learned would not be part & parcel of the Flex-6000 Signature Series roll-out.  Given the huge step forward the new series has adopted for its hardware it is churlish & foundationless to rant on predicting Flex Radio Systems hadn't absorbed the software & ham community relations learning as well.

If a ham doesn't like Flex Radio Systems, feels their past Flex Radio experience wasn't positive, isn't interested in SDR radios, doesn't/can't afford the investment of a new radio, or simply prefers some other radio, hey "bully for them" - it is their shack, isn't it?  

Their decision and their opinions matter, but they never define reality for others.  In my case I have had a huge amount of fun with my Flex-5000A, consider the 5000A a tremendous value, and as I have written at length I do see a huge step forward for my hobby experience in the Flex-6000 series when it comes out.

In my ROI (Return on Investment) calculations I am willing to front a refundable deposit to get an early slot with some added perks.  I've done the same on numerous purchases in my life - I love things like Kickstarter where I can support a project from an early stage. And when it is ready, it is ready (I need to make sure my checkbook is ready then too!).

If instant gratification and "instant perfect" is the most important part of a new radio to a person, then they should wait until the radio series is out and proven.  That is their ROI evaluation to avoid their personally experiencing the leading/bleeding edge.

Their choice and I would fully agree with anyone making the choice to "wait and see" or "not for me."  Where I disagree to the core is with the unfounded speculative rantings of negative folk who have made a hobby of being “forum trolls” all about a future product they openly declare they have no intent in purchasing.  

Steve
K9ZW

BLOG  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

Public forums offer freedom of speech and offer the medium for people to express their views and opinions of all flavors.  Everyone here has equal rights to express their views regardless of how others interpret them, like them, or dislike them.

Again, Flex owns any perceived negativity you see here, they got paid for products they created, marketed and sold to masses of hams.  What you see here is the sum of how the people that use these forums experienced.  

The problem with cool products is that people defend them to the point of lying about them, which in turn gets more people to buy into them only to be disappointed when the product doesn't live up to the hype.  So in part, fanboys as we call them own the negativity here as well because they in part have misled other hams.  We won't go into why fanboys narcissistically draw others into this delusional web of deception to feed their need to feel superior in the purchase they made.  To be fare, part of it is due to the long schooling cycle it takes for new users to realize the emperor is actually more naked than clothed.

Reality based feedback is the best way to fly.  When you want to buy what you perceive is an expensive product it's best to read both the good and the bad before you buy.  Educated purchases usually go a lot smoother!

I knew what I was getting when I bought mine,  a computer based radio with several issues.  That's why I am neither super high or super low on Flex Radios.  Mine does what I expect and that's ok for now.  Lol, you can read all about my adventures on my website.. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:51:23 AM by NI0Z » Logged

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »

Reality based feedback is the best way to fly.  When you want to buy what you perceive is an expensive product it's best to read both the good and the bad before you buy.  Educated purchases usually go a lot smoother!

I knew what I was getting when I bought mine,  a computer based radio with several issues.  That's why I am neither super high or super low on Flex Radios.  Mine does what I expect and that's ok for now.  Lol, you can read all about my adventures on my website.. Smiley

You're spot on - personally experienced reality rules!  Numerous times I've been very surprised to find that "groupthink" whether "fanboy" or "troll" is lacking in substance.

The best airplane I ever owned had such a non-owner "troll factor" that the local CFI did everything to talk me out of it.  It was easily the most fun, safest, best all-around and fun (again - that plane was that fun) plane I've had.  To the "troll factor" credit it did help me be eyes open, made the buying in price lower, and actually increased my satisfaction when the airchair "bs" the trolls spewed was replaced with hours & hours of top notch flight time.  

Ditto on my Flex-5000A experience.  That one I could have helped a lot if I would read the notes first!  It has done everything I've asked it to do, has been reliable, and I have really enjoyed the new software/firmware when it has rolled out.  I've also taken care of some of the upgrade duties on a second Flex-5000A which is out on an Island in a friend's shack, which great success there too!

If I had listened to the naysayers I would have missed the great time I've had with the 5000.  I've limited on-air time so I've only made a bit over 5000 contacts on the Flex so far.

As for the Flex-6000 series, I think we agree that a person shoudl do the best to evalulate what is known as FACT so far, and decide it they have any interest - if they do they should decide if early adopter is where they want to be.  

Once the 6000 series is out it will be realistic to talk from EXPERIENCE whether it is good, great, rough, ready or whatever.  

As for the whine about deposits and perks for those willing to make deposits, it is Flex Radio Systems that gets to make those rules.  If you don't like the rules, don't play.  If you want to make them an offer for a different business arrangment for your own shack, go for it!  BUT if a forum troll doesn't like it that some hams are willing to put down deposits, bluntly tough.  

Might really rattle the naysayers to know that some folk have deposits on more than one new Flex-6000 radio.  

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »

Might really rattle the naysayers to know that some folk have deposits on more than one new Flex-6000 radio.  

Having witnessed about every stupid and foolish human behavior possible over the years, it does not surprise me at all.  There's a sucker born every minute...  Roll Eyes

Gene
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »

Having witnessed about every stupid and foolish human behavior possible over the years, it does not surprise me at all.  There's a sucker born every minute...  Roll Eyes

Some people have more money than brains.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

You just rattled my funny bone so hard I can not stop laughing...

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

Stan K9IUQ  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:43:52 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 04:42:47 AM »

Some people have more money than brains.

You all don't get it, do you? 

It is their money to do what they want with. 

You might not have the means or reason to order more than one yourself, you might not agree with doing it (though if you were working from rational facts you would first ask "why would they do this?" before commenting), but no the forum trolls want to deal from emotional negativism.

Not exploring "why" is not the sign of "brains" - and the endless baseless pejoratives certainly make sure that success & the positive won't be heard here. 

Dealing from human interest, there are apparently reasons to order more than one - and also the reasons to preorder one.  Would seem anyone actually interested in the Flex-6000 development would want to understand the reasons why, rather than name calling and laying judgement. 

It is why you don't see the developers, the active and the visionaries here.  This little clique of eHam Forum Trolls has soiled the landscape, and makes every effort to keep it soiled.  Has to be a pretty shallow existence.

On to more positive things - when the Flex-6000 pre-orders ship I am really looking forward to doing an A/B side-by-side comparison with my Flex-5000A.  Should be a lot of fun!

Steve
K9ZW

blog http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 06:05:02 AM »

You all don't get it, do you?  

It is their money to do what they want with.  

You might not have the means or reason to order more than one yourself, you might not agree with doing it (though if you were working from rational facts you would first ask "why would they do this?" before commenting), but no the forum trolls want to deal from emotional negativism.

You are the one who does not quite get it and it is getting to the point where you are making yourself look quite foolish.  We could care less what they do with their money.  It is not about the dissenters not having the means to buy a Flex 6000 - I have spent almost twice the full cost of a Flex 6700 on a piece of equipment recently for my own personal hobby use. If someone is foolish enough to send Flex money for a product that has not yet been demonstrated to work and is based on a promise made by the Flex Radio marketing department, then that is their problem (especially after knowing about Flex Radio's history of broken and half-fulfilled promises.)  Your problem is that you only want to hear from those who agree with you and have drunk the Flex Kool Aide.  You can always do that by subscribing to the Flex Radio mailing list where you will find plenty of Flex Radio fans to play nice with - that is all they allow on the Flex Radio mailing list.  If you are not a Flex Fanboy and post questions and concerns on that list that are not complementary to Flex Radio, you will be moderated or removed from the list.   But to come to eHam and expect the 'same think' that exists on the Flex list, well, that is not going to make you happy.  Sorry.

The arguing by both sides on the pros and cons of Flex Radio is what helps the undecided make a purchasing decision.  If you had your way, people would only hear about your rose colored 'dreams' and 'fantasies' about a Flex radio project (which is disturbing enough in itself.)  Hearing both sides, pro and con, is one of the tools an intelligent person uses to make a decision.

Gene
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:23:30 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: