Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig advice.  (Read 4333 times)
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »

DSP filtering is pretty good and in the IC-7200 it probably is very well implemented, but you cannot beat crystal roofing filters for a brickwall bandpass without too much loss.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »

Gene, during the 5 years it took me to save for the k3, I built a series of antennas until I was confident that I had strung up the best performers I could get by the XYL.  I made 7k qsos on a used FT-100D and learned the software.

The learning curve on the K3 is pretty steep, too.  Fortunately the FT100D prepared me for a menu-intensive radio, but the degree of flexibility the K3 offers is not mastered immediately -- at least not for me.  No one is going to be able to take full advantage of the K3 right out of the box.

I know what you mean about the FT-100D. I own one of those for mobile use. Took a while to 'master' (if that is what you call it Smiley ) the menu system.

My XYL is constantly complaining about the antennas I have in the backyard. I'm on just shy of 1/2 acre and have two 40' towers and two 30' telescoping masts with a myriad of other antennas. She is always asking me 'Isn't what you got enough?' to which I ask 'Don't you have enough shoes already?' ..... the couch isn't such a bad sleep Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »

While I love the FT-100D, it is not a good digital radio.  It had a 300hz crystal filter that was only available in CW mode.  My only way to get an unwanted strong signal out of the bandpass was to tune it right or left out of the waterfall.  Then, of course, I was often at a very high or low audio pitch and not in the center of the waterfall.

You are lucky, Gene to have a tower.  Some day... I'd sleep on the couch a year for that ;-)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »

While you are 'on the couch waiting', I'd suggest you watch the local swapsheets and look while driving around for people who have older ROHN 25 series towers that used to be used for TV antennas. In some area of the country, these things are everywhere and many times they are FREE for the asking, especially if you're willing to take them down. I have another tower in the side yard on the ground. it is a older Triastao 3 section 55' crankup but someone cut the cables off of it because they were rusty. I have measured and think the cable set from a modern US Towers crank up will work. It is stored for the time being until I move someday and then I will fix it up and install it. I have a bunch of ROHN 25G sections stored in a barn back in Arkansas waiting until I retire back that way and then they are going to be used for some 160M/80M 4 square antenna setup.

Good Luck. A nice eggcrate cushin make sthe couch really comfy Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »

As you are technically-oriented, you will readily understand that each small incremental improvement you can make to your compromised antenna system will buy you much more operational advantage than a large increase in the cost of your transceiver. 

Neil N3DF
W2WAW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »

IMHO the Icom 7200 is by far the easiest and best rig for any digital work. One usb cord and some free software and you are on the air. Dont overlook it, its truly a great rig. Mike w2waw
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

I have the Elecraft K3 with the 2.7 khz (for voice SSB) and 250 khz filters (for digital) and highly reccomend it.  If you can't afford it, look into the Kenwood TS590 as it's filters and DSP is superb in pulling in weak signals.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: