Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Time Propagation Data Source?  (Read 4617 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:48:58 AM »

I'm trying to find a data source for real time propagation.

The RBN (Reverse Beacon Network) is one source

The PSKReporter is another

And the NCDXF Beacon Network and Faros is another

I did find commercial sources of data - the Giro site and the Digisondes, but that data seems really esoteric and not something I think I could get (via ftp).

Any ideas?
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »

DX Sherlock

http://www.vhfdx.info/spots/map.php
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »

Here's my favorite for solar data

http://www.solarham.net/
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:39:57 AM »

What is meant by real time propagation?

Who worked who? Solar conditions? Seeing if a band is open or not?

I played a bit with WSPR. Seemed interesting.

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wspr.html
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »

What is meant by real time propagation?

Who worked who? Solar conditions? Seeing if a band is open or not?

I played a bit with WSPR. Seemed interesting.

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wspr.html

I basically want to see any paths that are open in real time. The VOACAP and Hamcap predictions are smoothed monthly averages, and are not the most accurate.

Of course, these networks (RBN, WSPR, PSKReporter, NCDXF Beacons) are only as good as the number of listeners in the system - listening for as many bands as possible.

What I am looking for may not be realistic, but its funny how many different groups are trying to do this - it almost seemed if they all teamed up they could have a killer network . . .
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »

There is also propnet.

http://www.propnet.org/
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »

I basically want to see any paths that are open in real time.

I suppose one could always turn the radio on and call CQ and see who answers.  Doesn't get much more "real time" than that!
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:38:15 PM »

I did find commercial sources of data - the Giro site and the Digisondes, but that data seems really esoteric and not something I think I could get (via ftp).

Any ideas?

SpotCollector connects to up to 6 spot sources: 4 Telnet Clusters, a local Packet Cluster, and DX Summit. It maintains a database containing one entry for each active DX Station that keeps track of from where each active DX station was spotted. This database can be simultaneously displayed in tabular form, on a world map, and on a bandspread; the tabular and world map views can be independently filtered. The tabular and bandspread views are color-coded to indicate "need" (based on your DXing objectives and logged QSOs), active LotW participation, and eQSL.cc AG participation. Running statistics by band and continent are maintained.

If desired, one of SpotCollector's 6 spot sources can be connected to the Reverse Beacon Network.

SpotCollector is a component of the freeware DXLab Suite, which also includes the ability to monitor NCDXF beacons.

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:42:42 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »

Any ideas?

SpotCollector connects to up to 6 spot sources: 4 Telnet Clusters, a local Packet Cluster, and DX Summit. It maintains a database containing one entry for each active DX Station that keeps track of from where each active DX station was spotted. This database can be simultaneously displayed in tabular form, on a world map, and on a bandspread; the tabular and world map views can be independently filtered. The tabular and bandspread views are color-coded to indicate "need" (based on your DXing objectives and logged QSOs), active LotW participation, and eQSL.cc AG participation. Running statistics by band and continent are maintained.

If desired, one of SpotCollector's 6 spot sources can be connected to the Reverse Beacon Network.

SpotCollector is a component of the freeware DXLab Suite, which also includes the ability to monitor NCDXF beacons.

Dave, AA6YQ

Being able to do a data "mash up" of NCDXF Beacons and the RBN are especially useful. I'll have to look into this - thanks!

Rich
KY6R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: