Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590 vs IC-7410  (Read 13990 times)
KE2TR

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:09:06 AM »

Well I am sorry to see an old friend go but I shipped out my FT1000MP yesterday and its goin to a new home. What I am looking to as far as a replacement is either the Kenwood TS 590 or the Icom IC 7410, both radio's have had real nice reveiws in QST with the edge to the 590 and also the Radcom reveiw of the 590 was very good. I know thw Kenwood is at a very good bang for the buck price range and the Icom is when you place both roofing filters in it $600 more(hello Icom you had better come up with a summer sale or you will end up with lots of radio sales lost!). The one thing after reading both manuals that I get the feeling I dont like is the loss of controls in the 590, almost everything has to be done via pressing a button and turning a knob, on the fly in the heat of chasing a new one or doing contesting I find that might be a problem. The Icom too has some of that same thing but most of what you need is on knobs that you can control fast on the fly, I think that is why I had always liked the MP, only some things you had to dig for but most all the controls are up front that you need but in respect to receiver performance both Kenwood and Icom's numbers are far better than even a filtered up MP with IRC roofing filter. I also like the smaller size of the new rigs cause maybe in the next few years my wife and I will plan some vaca's down to the islands and she want me to bring a rig along for some radio fun for myself(she knows I'd love too even though she dislikes the hobby, lol). I looked at the TT Eagle but I had one very bad experience with a TT amp back in the late 90ies and although I'l love to buy a rig made in the USA, just not from them. Also looked at the K3, very nice rig but there is something about the audio quality that I just dont like, great specs and its one of the top rigs out there but to me its ugly and harkens back to Heathkit days but thats IMO. The SDR's I have also seen come up in todays market but after getting into this hobby in 68 I just am old school when it come to rigs. I know if Icom somehow made the 7410 even better than the 590 as far as the receiver it would be a no brainer but the Kenwood takes the lead here ar far as the receiver but in many respects they are close and most of my DXing or contesting is SSB, I do very little CW so please take this into consideration on your replys. I dont have a masive antenna farm like I used to, no beams or big towers as I had in the past but once we move off Long Island and get upstate were I can get away from CCR's that will change. Remot options both can do but I know the 590 is more user friendly in that area. Thanks for your reply's in advance.
Jim KE2TR
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »

I have seen all the reveiws on E Ham on both radio's as well as what on the net and I klnow it seems also that the 590 is up in the front as far as that hourse race, but real op's impressions are also very important, ease of use and ability to control things on the fly is also very inportant.
Jim
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »

my DXing or contesting is SSB, I do very little CW so please take this into consideration on your replys.
Jim KE2TR

I own a TS-590s and have owned the Icom Pro II and Pro III and Icom 746 and still own an Icom 7000. I have never owned a 7410 but have looked at them.

The Kenwood is the better radio out of the ones I have already owned. Since SSB is your goal the Kenwood audio is second to no one. It is a very easy intuitive radio to operate. Kenwood gives you free software that makes the menus real easy to manipulate. I am an Icom guy but find the 7410 hard to reccomend compared to the value/performance packed TS-590s.

The TS-590s is much more popular than the 7410. Buy one and if you do not like it, it will be very easy to sell and then get a 7410.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:04:29 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »

I have owned both and i still have the 590 as it has a much better receiver and audio in SSB. it is no more difficult to operate than the 7410 and stands up well in the heat of battle. My neighbor, who has an IC7600, has 590 envy as the rx on the 590 is better.

Don
KF7DS
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »

Thanks guys, I ordered a 590 today from HRO, be here by late afternoon on tuesday, also got the voice board, The Icom didn have it. Don your neighbor who has the 7600 likes your 590 better, the spec and reveiws on the 7410 are better but the 590 still takes the cake by better than 10 to 20db in some areas, I like the look of the Icom and having owned a 746 pro it was a very easy radio to use but it totals out over 2K and I dont really see the value, if Icom want to compete they better hunker down and start designing a better receiver. What also swayed me is there was a post somewere about a guy who had the three rigs under one roof, FTDX5000,TS590 and the K3, he liked all three and maybe favored the K3 by a little bit but said that all three rigs did a great job under contest or active band conditions. The guys at HRO said that the kenwood outsells the Icom 5:1 but its soo dam small, I'm gonna have to love it but it will get lost in the station cause its small. Have a PR781 mic so as soon as I get the software up n running I get it eq'ed up real nice and I have an old SP-930 speaker from when I had one of those rigs back in the mid 80ties so I just have to wire the conector up and the relay/amp contact for the 80B. Thanks for the help.
Jim
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »

Well I got the radio up n running, man this thing is smalllll! THe rig was set up at factory setting and the received audio was funky, at least to me then I found the flat EQ setting, wow that sounded sooo much better, the filtering is great, it reminds me of the dsp in the 746 pro I had but late night on 40ty I had a qso with a fellow and two big stations opened up 2kc on either side and all I did is tighten the filters up around 2kc on the hi end and 400hz on the low and they were gone, wow I cant waite to check this out during a contest. With this receiver you can tell the fellas that know how to tune up there amps the right way and the guys that dont. I almost put it back in the box at first cause I didnt like it right outa the box but the more I use it the more I see how dam good it is. I only wish Kenwood would have made it slighly larger, it gets lost on the operating desk, I also feel they should come out with a radio between the TS990 and the TS590, one with a second receiver and maybe a little more power out but built in supply for around $3K. I have used a IC7800 and the FTDX5000, both excellent rigs but I really didnt think that this little box could sit next to those rigs as far as the receiver's ability but it does, its like a friggin giant killer and although the K3 has slighly better specs, its small and ugly IMO and sounds tinny on SSB although its great on CW. Thats brings another point, I only use cw from time to tim but this radio cuts signals and loud signals apart like slicing bread, again 40 CW last night two 20 over signals around 1kc apart and there was a guy callin cq with a 5X7 signal in between and the pre amp was on too, tighten the slope tuning controls and it was FB copy. I am still getting over the size, its like culture shock going from the MP but this receivers audio chane once you go to the flat EQ setting is cleaner, less HF hiss, no I gotta wire up my PR781 and 3-500 amp and get the TX audion down pat, even the guys I made contact with say the stock mic sounds fine and the processer has a meat grinding position that say Hard, now thats what I'm talkin about! Yes guys I like the little bugger, I am getting used to the size and havent even looked at the manual, oh maybe I should RTFM and really get it cooking. I don't know which rev this radio is but I was told by HRO it was the latest version and I also wanna get into the service menu as well.
Thanks
Jim
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »

I use it the more I see how dam good it is. 

Yes guys I like the little bugger,
Thanks
Jim

Yes the longer you have it, the more the TS-590s will impress you. I have had mine for a year and a half.

There is a good reason they are selling so well. Value AND Performance. A winning combination in my Ham Book.

Stan K9IUQ
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »

I use it the more I see how dam good it is. 

Yes guys I like the little bugger,
Thanks
Jim

Yes the longer you have it, the more the TS-590s will impress you. I have had mine for a year and a half.

There is a good reason they are selling so well. Value AND Performance. A winning combination in my Ham Book.

Stan K9IUQ

Stan

A winning combo in any book. And, a combo that Flex will never figure out..got bored with mine and will not go down that path again. My 590 beats the pants off my Flex 3000, most notably on usability and I like CW much better on the 590.

Don KF7DS
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:10:54 AM »

After using the 590 almost a month now I gotta say the rcvr is the best part, I only wish it had more knobs to plsy with. The only area that could be improved maybe is the NB/NR area, they work but NB1 does open up for a little bit of the noise when your receiving a strong station lets say s5-s9 but pushing NR1 does help but you get that slight echo but the noise is reduced. I dont know if this is a adjustment issue or software issue. Without ever playing with the IC7410 I cannot tell which NB/NR would work better but when I did own the 746Pro that NB/NR on that rig performed as good or maybe even better than what the 590 does. I know its a bugger of a thing for us hams who live in the burbs with all kinds of noise crud creaping around but were I live this is almost as important as havin a very good rcvr. THe FT1KMP's NB just sucked, turn it on and yes you could adjust its level but as soon as you blanked the noise then a stronger station would open up maybe 5Kc off and the front end would start to overload and any digital NR would make an ssb signal sound like its down a toilet papper tube. I gotta say that the newer dsp radio's do a better job but just maybe I should have driven to a HR store and tried both but these stores or 500 plus miles away from my qth. You cant really count on the QST reveiws cause most Icom's are done by a guy who loves Icom and his reveiw are jaded, he trys to be funny but loses track of the real meat and potato's of the reveiw, the 590 reveiw was very good but Ward did leave out allot about certain issues like a more detail vue of the NB/NR use but I gotta say his job was better than some. I also wish they would have had an IF out but since the radio changes IF's depending on BW I can see why they didnt. I do see the difference between what I woned and this receiver, the ability of being able to copy a S4-5 signal and be lets say 2Kc's away from a 20 plus over 9 signal and you can copy threw the qrm is amazing for a $1.5K radio, most just start to fold and its a no copy deal.
Yes I still have the rig and I am getting used to the size, I know the one area were I do miss the FT1KMP is the RF clipper, that clipper drives the snot outa any amp, yes its a little distorted but it cuts threw qrm like a knife but between the HARD and HiBoost positions this comes the closest.
Jim
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:20 AM »

The only area that could be improved maybe is the NB/NR area,
Jim

How come you are changing your view???

See:  http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,84550.0.html

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:23:37 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »

I have had at least a month to really give the radio a better workout, thats why, hell for $1500 its a great rig but there are things that could be done better in every rig, I'm not un happy but there is some room for improvement.
Jim
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:52 AM »

The DSP NR on my 7410 is very noticeably better than my 746 pro. Other than crap QSK, I am very happy with it overall. It is basically a 746 pro with nearly every aspect improved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: