Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending with the opposite hand.  (Read 3366 times)
G4LNA

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »

I say sending with the opposite hand because I'm normally right handed, always have been. I mainly use the electronic key because my sending on the straight key using my right hand has never been good, it gets very jittery. It got really frustrating because I like using the straight key.

A few months ago I decided to try sending with my left hand instead. I was surprised that not only can I send, but now after a few months I can quite happily send at a constant 18-20 WPM without any problem at all and with the correct spacing, not like the jittery right hand.

I'm just wondering the reason for this, I am normally right handed, but send far better code using my left hand, I'm wondering if it has something to do with using a different part of the brain, or if it's muscular.

After 30 years I'm enjoying using the straight key more than the electronic keyer.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »

When you are right handed, there are in your nervous system a lot of patterns programmed for things that you do automatically with your right hand, think on writing alone. Growing older is leading to "cross-talk"

The nervous system to be programmed for left hand is pretty blank.
So that may be the reason, of your experience.

Often guys work with one hand paddles and with the other hand a cootie or a straight key.

Bob (beware of Bob, you need ham spirit to decode his english and he produces only dogshit)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:22:41 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »

I've found I can send with my left hand using my Bencher paddles. I turn the Bencher 180 degrees, reach my hand over the top so my fingers reach the paddles. Amazingly, this actually works!

Pete
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »

I've found I can send with my left hand using my Bencher paddles. I turn the Bencher 180 degrees, reach my hand over the top so my fingers reach the paddles. Amazingly, this actually works!

Pete

That's how one bug could be shared between RH and LH operators on military circuits.  Some of the LH operators built arm rests that fit exactly over the bug and let them relax their arms.  I tried doing that a few times and didn't do badly at all, but still prefer sending with the right.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:31:22 AM »

That's how one bug could be shared between RH and LH operators on military circuits.  Some of the LH operators built arm rests that fit exactly over the bug and let them relax their arms.  I tried doing that a few times and didn't do badly at all, but still prefer sending with the right.

I'm quite happy about using the bug with my right hand, it's just the straight key. I suppose it's something like how do you pour the kettle whilst stirring? I pour with my left hand and stir with my right, plus I can use a screwdriver using either hand, all very strange.

I do know someone who is left-handed and they can write with either hand, plus they quite often write with their left hand backwards like Leonardo Da Vinci  Cool
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »

I think it's a great advantage to be ambidextrous. As a matter of fact I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »

My wife says I'm sweet from all sides.  "Ambidextrose", she calls it...  Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »

This past March, I tore the tendon in my right arm (exercise-related injury), and was in a brace and sling for about 8 weeks.  Couldn't use my right hand, and I'm right-handed.  Since my doctor didn't want me exercising, I got more hours on-air. 

As I'm CW only, I first tried using my left hand with a straight key- not so good.  I slowed my keyer down and started using my paddles in their normal configuration.  In very little time, I was upping the speed and sending as cleanly with my left hand as I did with my right.

Four months later, my right arm is now semi-back-to-normal and I've returned to being a "righty" on my keys and paddles, but it's encouraging to know that if needed the left hand can be called into service.  Where there's a will there's a way, I guess.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
AB2CF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
KD2BOP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »

I am left handed and was taught to send with my left hand..  On reporting to my first ship I found the key was in a box
on the right side of the operating position. couldnt reach it with my left hand.   Had to learn to send right handed.  Being left
handed turned out to be an advantage though.  I can send with the right hand and copy/write with the left.

Fred Riley KD2BOP
RMC USCG (ret)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:24 AM »

My wife must really think I'm sweet all around.  She calls me "ambidextrose"... Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »

My wife says I'm sweet from all sides.  "Ambidextrose", she calls it...  Grin

My wife must really think I'm sweet all around.  She calls me "ambidextrose"... Grin

Nice echo there Pat  Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »

I THOUGHT I'd posted it a few days ago, but I couldn't find it.  Now where's my dang computer...?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: