Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Radio for digital?  (Read 2698 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »

I have a Signalink USBb that I am fixing to put into use.  I want to use it on both hf and vhf.  Which radio would you recommend my ft-817 or my icom 70g mkii?

I am planning on using flidigi and rms express.  I would like to run psk31, winmor, olivia, domino, and others.

Any setup suggestions?

Randy ka4nma
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »

Is there something I'm missing here?

. . . Do you want to run 100 watts, or are you happy running 5 watts?

The answer to that question will tell you which rig to use.

QRP with digital modes on an FT-817 can be a lot of fun _if your antenna is good_.  If your antenna is compromised, I'd stick to the IC-706, and run 20 watts or more.

Charles

PS -- for receiving, I think the rigs' performance will be similar.  Either one will benefit from a narrow IF filter.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

I'd try the Icom first if I had to just pick one. With band conditions not the best, sometimes you'll need that extra power. Note that both radios will work with the 6 pin mini-din interface so there is no reason why you can't try both radios.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

The antenna will not be the best - an indoor loop of about 50-60ft total length. I live in an apartment with no way to hide an outside antenna.

Does the ICOM 70mkii and the FT-817 work on both HF and VHF (2m)?  According to the Tigertronics website, the Icom will not work on VHF and hf with the same jumpers.

Ka4nma
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »

The antenna will not be the best - an indoor loop of about 50-60ft total length. I live in an apartment with no way to hide an outside antenna.

Does the ICOM 70mkii and the FT-817 work on both HF and VHF (2m)?  According to the Tigertronics website, the Icom will not work on VHF and hf with the same jumpers.

Ka4nma

If I recall my Icom 7000 is also like that. Jumpers in the SignaLink need to be changed for VHF. So what is stated on TigerTronics site is correct.

Personally I would not worry too much about digital modes and VHF. HF is where it is at.

I'd go with the Icom 706, as mentioned you may need more than 5 watts. Especially with an indoor antenna. Don't forget about JT65, that mode is made for low power and you can work stations 24/7 with that mode.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »

On the IC706mkiig, menu item 30 (VSend Sel) can be set to OFF in order to make the radio key any band from the HSend input (pin-3 of the ACC connector). Any other setting will require keying HSend for HF and Vsend for VHF.

This will permit you to key either side using the SignaLink HSend jumper.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »

Thanks for the menu info, but is the same true for the Icom MKII?  I do not have the MKIIG.   I do not see menu item 30 in the manual.  How can I change it?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:23:26 PM by KA4NMA » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:33 AM »

No, the MKii doesn't have that menu option. With the MKii you can jumper pin-3 and pin-7 together in order to accomplish the same thing. That's probably easiest to accomplish by doing away with the supplied SignaLink header plug and using short, solid, insultated jumper wires to connect the appropriate pins in the header. This is how TigerTronics used to do it before they started supplying pre-configured plugs.

The idea here is that the SignaLink PTT grounds both HSend and VSend at the same time so that whichever side of the radio is active is keyed.

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »

Iahve both and a Signalink USB.  Save the FT817 for backpacking/QRP and use the 706MKIIG for digital.  If you want ot run 5w then set the power at such but at least you have 100w at your fingertips when trying that weak DX station where 5w won't cut it.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
M3KXZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:53:32 AM »

If I had both then I'd try them both and see which I preferred, then use that one! Simple!

As it is, I have FT817ND and TS480SAT. The FT817ND is the one I've always used most and am just starting out on digital with. But my choice is driven by the fact that I work almost solely /p and with battery power, which doesn't suit the TS480 at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: