Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JT65 Advice  (Read 6165 times)
KG6MZS

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »

Hello all,

When I was starting out in soundcard digital, I found Digipan to be very easy to figure out.  I am interested in JT65.

What is good basic, beginning software?  Any good FAQs or tutorials?

TIA

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »

Try the JT65-HF software. It works well and it's what most people use so help is easy to find.

And here's the tutorial I used to get started:

http://iz4czl.ucoz.com/jt65-hf-setup.pdf
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »

Thanks AMF.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »

I'll second JT65-HF. Also I highly recommend you look at JT-Macros and JT-Alert utilities which interface seamlessly to JT65-HF. A real pleasure to use and best is, they are all made FREE to the ham community.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

I'll second JT65-HF. Also I highly recommend you look at JT-Macros and JT-Alert utilities which interface seamlessly to JT65-HF. A real pleasure to use and best is, they are all made FREE to the ham community.

Gene W5DQ

I've been running JT65-HF for a while now, but was unaware of these add-ons.  Thanks for mentioning them; they appear to be very useful.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »

Ditto, JT65-HF is very user friendly.  Easy to setup and easy to use.
See you on the air working JT65!

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KS1G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »

One more vote for JT65-HF.  Active support group/list on google groups:  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/jt65-hf 

Hints that have helped me:
Make sure your PC clock is spot-on.  Several 3rd-party applications for Windows (no idea what's available for Macs) as the stock Windows NTP service is inadequate.  [Linux NTP clients "just works"]
Adjust output volume from PC/input gain to radio (details depend on PC, rig, interface,...) to NOT drive into ALC, and SSB compression OFF
Adjust level from radio into sound card (details....) for about a level of 0dB on noise (no signal - find a quiet spot or use the time from :46 - :00 when it should be quiet)
Noise reduction and bandpass filtering may or may not help decodes. 
This is usually a low power mode - 5-10W is generally PLENTY, and as a high duty cycle (46  seconds on, 1:14 off), your transmitter will thank you for running QRP levels.
Use pskreporter and the JT65 reverse beacon network and the features in JT-Alert to see where activity is and where you are being heard.

It's amazing what's on the bands - I'm 9 states away from confirmed WAS on JT65 since Feb/March without trying very hard, and thinking about DXCC.
73 Steve KS1G
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34:59 AM »

Thanks for the tips on the clock... I had no idea about that.

Thanks everybody for the help.  I might try and get going this weekend if the shack is cool enough.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »

Thanks everybody for the help.  I might try and get going this weekend if the shack is cool enough.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

Don't feel bad. From the JT65 signals I hear and traces I see on the waterfall, there are MANY, MANY ops who have jumped on the JT65 bandwagon and have no idea what it is all about or how to set up their stations to properly work JT65 QSOs. Sure they get a contact or two (or three or a hundred or ....) but the issue is they are causing issues for everyone else in the bandpass. The clock being off is simply an issue for software process timing. The real issue is folks running BIG power (50W and 6 element 20M monobander, etc), wide open ALC or painting a signal from the proverbial 3" paintbrush on the waterfall. With no way to quickly 'pop' in and say check your drive level, etc., it becomes a task to get their call, look them up on QRZ or other means and hope they have an email so I can send them a nice reminder to read the JT65 mode information and check their power, ALC, clock, etc. I have even gone so far as to do a screen capture and send a copy along with the email to those who really appear to be abusing the levels. So far only done is a few times and most are nice and thank me for the info. One reply was a real 'T-I-T-P' (aka 'turd in the punchbowl'). He told me to mind my own business and his station was the best ever seen, yak, yak, yak...... I thought when he was causing interference to me that it automatically BECAME my business Smiley For a moment, thought I had emailed Glenn Baxter K1MAN??? (look it up)

Hope to catch you on JT65 sometime.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

Thanks Gene,

One thing you may not know: on my Elecraft K3 ALC processing does not begin to kick in until the 5th bar is lit up.  If no ALC bars on the meter are lit up, the soundcard is underdriving the radio.

Moreover, in DATA mode, processing is not available.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »

My old trusty TS-940S is just starting to open up the ALC at about 1/8" of ALC meter deflection on peaks. Below that I can hear the roll off in the TX monitor. At that peak point, I hear a full TX signal and have tested it to confirm not overdriving or splattering by having another station monitor my signal at about 2 miles away. I figure it isn't bad a 2 miles, probably not going to be bad a 2000 miles Smiley Or at least nothing I can control!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

Yeah, I monitor the IMD on my station with a standalone monitor.  I really don't see too many horribly distorted signals out there.  As I'm sure you know, distortion can be introduced anywhere in the signal chain - even in the receiving station.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:07 AM »

Yeah, I monitor the IMD on my station with a standalone monitor.  I really don't see too many horribly distorted signals out there.  As I'm sure you know, distortion can be introduced anywhere in the signal chain - even in the receiving station.

True, but when there is a waterfall full of nice smooth traces, all close in signal strength and spread out over a large distance so not just from one area of the globe and then suddenly a trace appears (and not the ham down the road either) that literally wipes out the waterfall, something is terribly amiss.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »

I think propagation and antenna are going to be bigger factors than the difference between 15 watts and 50 watts.

PS: since the difference is probably negligible, I'd go with the 15 watts --if only to allay the fears of some.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:21:43 AM by KG6MZS » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 03:54:38 AM »

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

Don't feel bad. From the JT65 signals I hear and traces I see on the waterfall, there are MANY, MANY ops who have jumped on the JT65 bandwagon and have no idea what it is all about or how to set up their stations to properly work JT65 QSOs. Sure they get a contact or two (or three or a hundred or ....) but the issue is they are causing issues for everyone else in the bandpass. The clock being off is simply an issue for software process timing. The real issue is folks running BIG power (50W and 6 element 20M monobander, etc), wide open ALC or painting a signal from the proverbial 3" paintbrush on the waterfall. With no way to quickly 'pop' in and say check your drive level, etc., it becomes a task to get their call, look them up on QRZ or other means and hope they have an email so I can send them a nice reminder to read the JT65 mode information and check their power, ALC, clock, etc. I have even gone so far as to do a screen capture and send a copy along with the email to those who really appear to be abusing the levels. So far only done is a few times and most are nice and thank me for the info. One reply was a real 'T-I-T-P' (aka 'turd in the punchbowl'). He told me to mind my own business and his station was the best ever seen, yak, yak, yak...... I thought when he was causing interference to me that it automatically BECAME my business Smiley For a moment, thought I had emailed Glenn Baxter K1MAN??? (look it up)

Hope to catch you on JT65 sometime.

Gene W5DQ
BAXTER..........you're lucky he didn't sue you!!! It's a shame that others will not take kind advice and say thanks. Like some of these folks think they are RF engineers once they get a license.
Fred
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: