Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake L7 Load control is slipping  (Read 5643 times)
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 07:25:44 AM »

To Peter and Phil, thank you for your suggestions. I will be home on the weekend and will try a thorough solvent cleaning to see if that can solve the apparent stickiness of the planetary drive.
Joe, thank you also for your suggestion and pointing out that the drive is on the Plate tuning rather than Load. Not sure how I let that mistake get out.
Harris K9RJ (in LY)
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »

Update. I have tried cleaning the reduction drive but it did not help. I have a suspicion now that part of the problem may be that there is simply too much tension on the shafts. I have tried cleaning it with Deoxit (DN5) and used some WD-40 but I cannot get either the Load or the Plate to turn smoothly. I have another L7 to compare against so I know that the ones I am talking about are tight. Can anyone suggest the best way of lubricating these shafts?
I have now ordered a replacement from Midnight Science, thanks for the suggestion.
73 Harris K9RJ
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:21 PM »

WD-40 is one of the worst you can use as a lubricant. It's a water displacer and contains paraffin.

Get some Tri-Flow. It's high quality synthetic oil with microfine particles of PTFE. Shake before each use.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

Thanks for the tip Phil.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: