The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hook up issue - Straight Key to FT-847  (Read 1134 times)
K0RFH

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »

Good day,

I have a stupid question.  I have an issue with hooking up a straight key to my FT-847.  i am totally missing the obvious.  When I plug into the key jack into the back of the radio, it goes into xmit mode.  Nothing I do can get it out.  I have tried multiple plugs and wires.  I currently have gone and bought a headphone cable from radio shack and cut the end off and wired it to my straight key.  Same thing.  I have looked in the menus, made sure the connections were good and no stray wire was coming off and arcing, even took the key off and plugged in without the key..  Same result.

Any words of wisdom appreciated as i am out of hair (pulled it all out).  I am sure it is an obvious thing that I am just missing

thanks

K0rfh - RJ
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »

Have you looked at it from the inside of the '847? Something has got to be making contact to cause it to transmit. Maybe you can turn off the vox while trying to find the cause, so it won't transmit. It also might make a difference whether you're using a mono or stereo plug. You probably want a mono plug with a straight key.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »

Any words of wisdom appreciated as i am out of hair (pulled it all out).  I am sure it is an obvious thing that I am just missing

Usually with a rig with an internal keyer which is to be used with a straight key you need to do a couple of things: use a stereo plug with the ring terminal disconnected (use only the tip and shaft connections); turn the keyer function off/straight key function on (menu item usually).

If you are using a mono plug you will be shorting the ring terminal to ground which will put your rig into transmit when the plug is inserted fully.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:52:16 AM by KE6EE » Logged
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »

As KE6EE said, above, you are probably using a monaural plug (only two connections). You can buy a converter and just plug the monaural plug into a stereo (3 connections) plug adapter and it will work. Or you can buy a handfull of stereo plugs and change them as you need to.

I have done it both ways. Newer gear requires a stereo plug because they also have built-in keyers so there has to be access for a paddle (which needs 3 connections). But older gear, or gear without a built-in keyer, will often use a monaural plug (2 connections).

Actually, I have an entire collection of adapters from various sizes and types to other sizes and types. I keep them all in a fishing tackle tray.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »

Pages 46 and 47 of the user's manual detail straight key operation.  The manual states that a stereo plug is used with the key wired to the tip and shaft.  The ring connection is not used.
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

People LOVE redundancy on eHam............My recommendation would be to use a stereo 1/8" plug.  Smiley

Tom KH8/KC├śW  
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »

It will go into Tx mode if you are in keyer mode.  You should use a stereo type jack even though you are going to use only one of the two contacts.
Check the manual for which one to use for a straight key.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: