Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code Word rhythms  (Read 8299 times)
K4KRW

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2012, 02:12:34 AM »

I've been working on my speed by learning entire words in Morse code.  In the process I have found that certain words have a pleasant, even catchy, rhythm to them.

My favorite so far is 'people'
dit dah dah dit - dit - dah dah dah - dit dah dah dit - dit dah dit dit - dit.

This pleasant rhythm really makes the word stand out such that I find it extremely easy to recognize it.

I was just curious if there were other rhythmic words that other Morse code fans could point out. 

73 - Richard
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:27:24 AM »

As your speed increases you will actually recognise words not individual characters, naturally and by necessity.
"THE" is one which you will soon recognise easily, as is "73".
Both these words also have a catchy rhythm (for me at least).
Dah ditditditdit dit and dahdahditditdit  ditditditdahdah.
There are many others which will soon be embedded in the part of your brain allocated to morse.

When you have been doing morse consistently for a few years you will probably not even realise you are receiving morse.
It becomes like just having a conversation without any effort - sort of of a zen morse state.
Any morse op who is at this stage understands what I mean -  it becomes like driving a car where you get to your destination without remembering the journey.

As you seem committed to learning morse well, I am sure you will be at this stage some day soon.

Good luck and 73 - Rob
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:31:33 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
K4PP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:32:39 AM »

I've always like "best" since the end sounds more or less reverse of the front separated by a dit. Although I almost never use it, I like to listen when sent "best 73", two sounds where the end sounds reverse of the front.

K4PP
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:34:41 AM by K4PP » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »

How about TENNESSEE
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:02 AM »

There is a fella Will, that works mobile with a sideswiper out of his truck in Alabama. It isn't a word, but his call W4HEX is probably the best sounding call ever in code. 73 de Tom, AB9NZ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »

BENS BEST BENT NAIL
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »

BENS BEST BENT WIRE

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »

How about TENNESSEE

Just tried this on my keyer.  It does have a good rhythm.  So does IOWA.   Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »

In wabun (Japanese "morse" code), the first syllable of my name (PA, as in PAT) is sent as  [-... ..--.], which is a real ear-grabber for me.  Wabun works with syllables rather than letters, so it's a bit more efficient. 

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »

Be careful learning words, because it is all to easy to slip into the I know what is coming mode.  One of my favourite words to include in a morse test is ...Ptarmigan....   so many people miss the P.  It sure sorts out those whose are listening and those that aint.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
K1AVE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:13 AM »

My favorite is TENNESSEE.
Gene
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:35:06 AM »

Thanks for all of the replies.  I enjoyed them all. 

Rob, Some words do already seem to just be automatically captured as a whole.  'The' is certainly one of them.  That is what pointed me towards trying to learn more words.  When I hear Morse code letter by letter, I just get bogged down processing it all.  I'm sure this is the norm.  So far, learning whole words has been productive.

Pat, I had never heard of Wabun Morse code (of course, I don't know Japanese either).  There is actually a Wikipedia article on it.  That does seem like it would be very efficient.  Very interesting. 

Gavin, thanks for the warning (hearing what you know, rather than what was sent).  I have been learning with that in mind.  So far, it hasn't been a problem.  But, I do see how it could easily become one.  Had never heard of the word ptarmigan. 

Thanks everyone!

73 all,

Richard
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »

Be careful learning words, because it is all to easy to slip into the I know what is coming mode.  One of my favourite words to include in a morse test is ...Ptarmigan....   so many people miss the P.  It sure sorts out those whose are listening and those that aint.

So .. you use "ptarmigan" as a "shibboleth"?  Very good!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:04:05 AM by K7KBN » Logged

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VK5DO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »

My favorite is BUT.

Dene
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:02:58 AM »

Only one word      _ . ... _  or more often send as _. ... _

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: