Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 897d setup for CW  (Read 1629 times)
KD8FAK

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:54:44 PM »

I have purchased a bencher BY-1 and am looking forward to practice and making my first cw contact. I am new to CW and my Elmer doesn't do cw. Can someone get me going on setting up the menu functions for the FT897D I am nervous about my fist contact but want to make sure the radio (stock) is set properly. Thanks for the help. 73's KD8FAK
KE5HJO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:02:14 PM »

I have an MFJ-564 iambic paddle and an FT-897D - pretty much the same setup as you have.  Assuming that you have the cable connected from the paddle to the back of the rig, the rest is fairly simple to do.

Always read your manual.  It covers the CW setup portion quite well.  :>)

These are my menu numbers along with the settings I'm running:

Menu           Setting
22 .....        Off
23....         USB
24.....         250ms
25.....         Normal
26.....         ELEKEY
27.....         800 HZ (You ears may prefer a different pitch)
28.....         10ms
29.....         11 (this is the volume of the CW you here while sending. It does not affect volume of CW sent).
30.....        16 wpm (your speed may vary)
31.....        A:
32.....        1:3.0

Most of the settings are the default factory settings so yours may already be set per the above.  The ones I adjust most are Menus 29 and 30 which are the CW side tone and sending speed.

I've only been doing CW since March 2007 so I know what you mean about being nervous.  Can you believe that once I got up the nerve to finally send CQ that my first contact was a DX contact in Argentina?  Man, I was nervous!!!  But, the other station gladly slowed down to my speed (then 6 wpm) and made my first CW qso a fun one.

I'd be happy to schedule a time with you to give you some up front, no frills, no pressure practice as would anyone involved with CW.  Just let me know.  Lots of folks did it for me.  I'd be happy to return the favor.

73 and welcome to CW!!

Mike
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 03:49:30 AM »

I would suggest operating full break-in (QSK). Iv'e been doing cw for 2 years and have been operating that way from the start. It takes a little getting used to, but becomes natural very quickly especially when your new at it and not trying to go from years of operating semi-break-in to full QSK. It simply means that you can hear the receive between your dit's and dah's when sending. To do this, set menu 25 to FULL. This way, it's just like talking on the phone. The other guy can cut in whenever they want if needed and not have to wait for you to finish.

Welcome to the best mode in ham radio!
Eric N3EF
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:51:06 AM »

Sorry, I meant menu 24
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:12:27 AM »

I'm not so sure that I would agree that a beginning CW op should use full break-in. I mean there's nothing wrong with doing so but having your receiver come to life between each dot and dash and each character can be very distracting when concentrating on your sending.

Heck, I've been operating CW for more than three decades -- nearly four -- and I still find full break-in to be more distracting to my sending than it's worth. I've always used semi break-in. On several occasions I've used full break-in when someone has suggested it's great but each time I've gone back to semi for the same reason -- just don't like all that noise distracting me while sending.

Your mileage may vary and full break-in is obviously attractive to many ops but it's a little hard to sell me on the idea that it's ideal for a new CW op.

73, N4KZ
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »

One distinct advantage to full breakin is working dx with split frequency operation.  Especially when many are calling the dx station.  It is helpfull to know when the dx is answering a call so you can stop your call immediately and reduce the amount of qrm.  That is the only time I use full breakin.

Just my opinion.   ray
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 02:22:25 PM »

That's a good point Ray. I always stop immediately when I hear the dx answering while many others just keep interfering. I think it's good for a new op as your not already used to one way or the other. I started off that way and quickly got used to it and couldn't imagine operating otherwise.

Eric N3EF
KD8FAK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:32:42 PM »

Thanks for the info. Just a note I have mentioned to every ham I know that I THINK YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. No flames and slamming in the cw forum!!!
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »

As another long time CW operator, I must say I have always found full break-in somewhat distracting.  And I've been doing CW for 51 years, including a number of years professionally with the government.  

Many many people certainly prefer full breakin.  I am likely to go the other direction to "switch to send!"   But I have to admit, I don't chase DX much, just when I happen to hear a DX station and no one is answering him.  I don't handle traffic, the other good use for full break-in.   I also hear the occasional rag chew using full breakin, and I do agree, if you are comfortable with it, no reason in the world not to use it.  

I do, though, think full breakin may not be the best way for a newcomer to CW.  As mentioned, it IS distracting, and the newcomer needs a lot of attention to what he is sending, without being interrupted.  My personal opinion would be to use semi-breaking, with a moderate delay, until you get comfortable with CW operating.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: