Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I WONDER what PerCent....  (Read 4485 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »

Of new hams are headed our way as DXers? I wonder what percentage of all active hams are hard core DXers?
I mean, there are "Those other people" who dont do DX and think we are crazy. (Screw them) You guys know the silly stuff they do..... Wanting to have that big old BASS sounding equalized upsidebackwards sounding recording studio signal and so forth,  and dont forget the redneck rag chewers who probably dislike (hate?) us most. Just wondering Huh 73, Gene AF3Y
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »

If I go by my club, I am thinking less than 10%.

I started DXing in Dec 2009. Only myself and one other person in out club has gotten DXCC. And that person is a digital guy, and is telling me to go digital. He gets a ton of rare countries on digital.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »

I've done a few presentations to local non-DX/contest clubs and their eyes glaze over after a few minutes and the reception is polite but uninterested for the most part. I'd thought I was just a bad speaker until a couple of guys made it clear that antenna restrictions have made DXing a pipe dream. Most who are able to get something up for HF consider it a miracle to work Italy or Germany on 20m SSB and are on cloud nine when they work something like Algeria or Cape Verde, etc, in a contest.

These are really nice, warm, wonderful people but their experience in ham radio is limited to portable operations, 2m/440 mobile radios in the hell that is NYC area commuting, and their two holy grails, EmComm and Field Day.

I did a presentation on contesting and had a handful of guys either shout me down or walk out due to their hatred of radiosports.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »

I think it has been about 5 percent since I've been a ham.  That number will probably drop for newcomers due to stricter restrictions and a terrible economy.

Chris/NU1O
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »

If we're talking hard core Dxer's who are chasing 300 confirmed or the Honor Roll
and the like I doubt that in my club it's even 10%.

And I would guess that nationally the number is probably also not
more than 10%, if that.

This is easy to understand if for no other reason than just the amount of time
needed to chase down the major DXCC milestones (100 - 150 -200, etc.).

I like many elements of our hobby, but it's feeling like
DXing is slowly moving from a core element of Ham Radio to a fringe interest.

73 de harry, W6DXO

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 07:30:13 AM »

If you want to get folks interested in DXing, I'd suggest getting on with your big signal and just working folks, like a DX station would.  When follks upgrade to Extra or put up an HF station--whether they work anything interesting when they get on the bands is more important than anything they read on the web or in QST.

15 was wide open last night--VK7 and EI8 was booming in--so I called CQ for 10 minutes and worked six stations, a W7/AE who I congratulated on his upgrade, two JAs, an LU1, a KD0 with a big station, and  KB0 running barefoot to a vertical.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »

I have joined 4 local clubs since 2001 - two were DX clubs (Redwood Empire DX Club and NCDXC) and two were clubs that have meetings that I can actually attend every now and then (Mt. Diablo and EBARC).

The DX clubs had just about 100% DX-ers in attendance, and the other two had maybe 1 or 2% DX-ers in attendance.

I joined these clubs after being asked to give antenna presentations, and they have all been really great and appreciative - and even non DX-ers seem to like an antenna presentation. My presentations have all been DX-ing and antennas, and even the non DX-ers still seemed to be interested.

But there is a very clear difference in audiences between club types.
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »

In my area there are close to two hundred hams and I am virtually the sole station on HF. In the nine years that I've lived here I have heard exactly four other stations on HF, two are regrettably SK and the other two I've heard just a few times.

Just recently I talked to a local VHF operator and encouraged him to get on HF but I could see I was getting nowhere. One thing that I hear repeatedly when I address the topic of HF is, "My cw skills aren't good" so they largely dismiss all HF operation outright.

While VHF is wonderful and offers a great deal, I regret that so many ops are missing out on HF and with it, HF DX.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

I wonder what percentage of all active hams are hard core DXers?

D68C worked around 40,000 unique callsigns in 2001.  This was after a major push to get casual ops to tune for them, particularly in the UK.  The conclusion was that this was probably a decent estimate of how many active DXers were out there, guys that generally know about DX and chase it on a regular basis - though not all necessarily "hard core DXers."  I think T32C worked about 50,000 unique callsigns in 2011, no doubt aided by being QRV for a month and strong signals on all bands into North America.

So how many hams are hard core DXers?  You can probably safely say it's a fraction of the two figures above and maybe even less than half.  Take that number and divide by total world wide hams and you come up with a fairly small number.

Depending on how you look at it, that can be good or bad!
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »

I agree that T32C is probably a good barometer of basic DX interest because it was easily workable from anywhere in the US for a month. They worked 49,000 unique stations. Of their total QSOs, 1/2 were from the US. Based on band usage and license allocations, you could safely assume a maximum of maybe 60% of uniques were from the US. That means at most 29,000 US hams had a QSO with T32C.

That's about 4% of the 706,000 licensed amateur radio operators in the US. Even if you consider all General and above licensees, that's still less than 9% of that audience that made the most basic of DX contacts. Of course the number of "active" hams that even casually chase DX will likely be higher than this, but I wouldn't suspect by much.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »

I know of at least two in my club who are on the honor roll, and I'm sure a few of the more senior members at least have dxcc. I'm at just over 250 myself, so I still have a ways to go. I'm not too sure on other members, there are some folks that are active on HF and some that aren't.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »

In all but 1 of the local clubs I have belonged to, the percentage would be around 1 to 2% tops.  Most wouldn't get off of FM long enough to get on HF at all.  One club I did belong to really specialized in HF operations (DXing and Contesting) even though it was a local club.  Wish they had one like that where I am now.  I did recently rejoin the Oklahoma DX Association, but that is a speciality club, not a local club.

John AF5CC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »

It's like asking how many people are race car drivers.  Everyone can drive but unless you got the proper equipment it's pretty hard to competitively race.   To be a competitive DXer requires about 10 times the investment that a normal Ham will spend. 
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »

I'm convinced that one can have fun DXing without being "competitive." I got on HF in 2006 with little idea whether I could get out well enough to have fun. Not being able to put up any permanent antennas made it a challenge. When I managed to work VP8LP on 10 watts with a screwdriver antenna on a tripod, I was hooked. My gear has changed since then, but there are still no antennas in the air when I'm not operating.

Right now I have 243 confirmed, all ssb. Yes, I should go back and relearn CW, and that may yet happen. But I've been getting new ones often enough to keep my interest with what I've been doing.

I'm certainly not a competitive DXer and won't get on the Honor Roll without a change of QTH and a dramatic station upgrade. Still, I expect to get enough new ones and band fills over the next few years to keep me working at it.

The point is that newer hams need to see that they can be successful at working exotic DX without first investing in a tower and lots of aluminum. That especially applies to those people living in antenna restricted neighborhoods. If this part of the hobby becomes really important to them, they may well do what it takes to become truly competitive.

Dave, N6ORB
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »

By the ongoing sound of the unruly, rabid pile trying to work (of all things...) D3AA, Angola right now, you would think 99% of hams are DXers.  Eh.. make that wannabe DXers Wink

Hard to believe that even 10% of the callers dont have D3 in the log on at least one band mode if they have been chasing DX for even a few months.

Perhaps its just me, not having my little antenna farm any longer, but the piles sure seem bigger and tougher to bust. hi hi   73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: