The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABR Industries Rocks  (Read 996 times)
W9CN

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »

Over the years I have purchased a number of custom cables from Marc at ABR Industries.  Always great build quality and never a problem with any of them.

I had Marc @ ABR Industries build me a custom 250 foot cable using their 2213A cable with an N connector on one end and PL259 on the other.  Installed it about 16 months ago and it ran just fine.  Fast forward to two weeks ago and I can't get a tune on the antenna (VSWR 9 to 1). I hit the PL259 end in the shack with a DVM and its showing open instead of the nominal 1 ohm or so of DCR that it should be showing.  Not Good. 

Jumper the center pin to the shield on the PL259 in the shack and head out to the antenna with the DVM and meter the N connector on the far end of the cable. Its showing open. Not Good.

Collect it up and drop Marc at ABR an email on Sunday November 27th asking for an RMA.  First thing Monday the 28th I have an RMA and ship the cable to them. 

Now I figure that this is way out of warranty and they are going to charge me a nominal fee to figure out which end (PL 259 or N) is not happy and re-terminate it plus the cost of shipping it back to me.  Not A Problem. They use crimp connectors and I don't have those for that cable type or the necessary crimp tool and I was heading out of town on business and just needed it fixed with the least amount of Brain Damage.

FedEx Ground gets the cable to ABR on Wednesday and I get a notification that ABR has shipped it back to me on Wednesday for a Friday delivery.

I call Marc and ask him what was up with the cable and how much did I owe him for making it happy and return shipping.  Marc told me that there was an issue at the N connector end and they had re-terminated it.  I asked him what I owed for the re-termination and shipping the cable back to me (as it was certainly outside of warranty) and he wound't let me pay for any aspect of the repair. Wow!

In my book this is incredible service.  Instantaneous turnaround and taking care of the Customer Big Time. 

The hobby could use a lot more manufacturers like ABR.

Mike Pappas
W9CN

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: