The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft  (Read 9459 times)
WA9MNF

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »

I recently bought a used K-1 from a seller on the internet. When I received the package I noticed that some hardware for the KTS1 stand was missing. I called Elecraft and ordered the parts which cost a little over five bucks. I received them a couple of days later and the only charge was for the shipping. Most people would probably say 'no big deal'. The impression that I got was that Elecraft does support their product even though I didn't buy it from them. In my opinion, that is great customer support and I look forward to buying Elecraft products from Elecraft in the future. 

Ed WA9MNF
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »

I recently bought a KPA-500 amplifier from Elecraft and it’s a beautiful piece of equipment.  Bullet proof and works perfect in my shack.  I did have a few questions and they were very helpful on the telephone.  They get an A+ in my book. 
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »

I will add to the Elecraft "praise". I recently finished building a K1 and am very impressed with the build quality and performance. The noise floor is much lower and mcuh quieter than my TS-590 and a delight to listen to CW on. Of course the sensitivity and selectivity are not equal to the TS-590 but all the same for what it is, the K1 is an excellent performer.

I decided to begin building a K2. Have had a few questions along the way and emailed Elecraft Support, thinking I would hear back in a few days, or have to bug them again to get a response.

A reply, in each instance, was in my inbox within a few hours.

Impressive.

Don KF7DS
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

I purchased a K3 a while back from Elecraft and I will say that their customer support is the best I have ever encountered in any business.  They make a great product and stand behind it.

It may sound sappy, but my experience with them gives me hope.  I get discouraged with other companies that do not follow through and flake out on the consumer.  Unfortunately, this is usually what companies do.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »

I own the entire Elecraft K-Line. I am currently waiting on the new KAT500 tuner. I have been very satisfied with the products I have purchased from Elecraft.
Their products are great...but their customer service is even better.

Richard
K2QPN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »

I will also put in good word for Elecraft. I recently bought a KX3 portable transceiver kit.  My first Elecraft radio. A great rig but that's another story. Occasionally, I would have no audio on SSB. I would start to investigate and the audio would come back. I emailed Elecraft - they had me check some things and then they set me a new mic and a new mic connector. No questions - no hassle. Great service.

73, Bob K2QPN
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »

Elecraft teasing on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/elecraft/status/598283743023878144/photo/1

I guess we'll find out in a few days Grin
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »

I personally don't like the ergonomics of the Elecraft products, but I respect the excellent reviews they have earned for both providing an outstanding product with equally impressive product support. I just wish they could make a "big box" radio for us old timers with large fingers, and one that had a minimal depth to the menu systems.

Pete
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »

New, K3S, see elecraft.com
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »

Elecraft have exceptional product support. I cant honestly think of any better company than Elecraft for customer and product support. The other one is DX'engineering.

The K3S is a huge disappointment for me. It really is just fixing the K3 and trying to address all the warts of the K3 with sweeteners like better Phase noise performance.

1. The K3 and K3S is still an ergonomic basket case. Any radio that does not have band stack registers and dedicated band buttons is an ergonomic fail.
2. The K3S has tried to address the poor RX  audio issues that many users report. The Inband IMD from the audio chain is very noticeable. It will be interesting to see
how well they fixed this issue.
3. The K3 and K3S still have bad filter generated IMD. A direct sampling radio  outperforms  the K3/K3S in this area. The K3S will never match the purity of a CW signal like that on a direct sampling SDR.
4. Nothing has been done about the crap  TX  IMD from the poor PA in the K3 and K3S. I would have expected a PA upgrade or even a 200 watt PA running on 48 volts
5. The K3S TCXO is the same cheap miserable TXCO that you can buy on Ebay for  10 dollars. A OCXO upgrade or a unit with better stability would have been nice especially with the synthesizer upgrade. Sure it you can feed in an external reference but thats just messy. The point is to have a radio that has everything in one box, not a bolt together mess.
6. A bigger  front panel with more knobs would have been welcome.  A LCD screen with different backlighting colors would have been also nice. The orange is pretty ugly to me. A cool blue or some choice of colors would have been nice.
7. It will be interesting to see if birdies have been reduced. The K3 on the higher bands is birdie riddled.
8. The Pre-amps as standard is welcome the K3 really always needed a preamp on 15 through to 6 meters.
9. The P3 is pretty slow and needs wider bandwidth than 200khz. The P3 TX monitor is pretty pathetic   in terms of flexibility and what it can do. I dont know why they just did not build a K3 with a P3 in one box. A K3000S  that would have been a big rig competitor to the IC7850 rather than a portable radio trying to be a big guns desk radio. Most of the ham radio market is not going to take the K3S serious while many hams deem it to be a mobile radio being turned into expensive radio with expensive accessories.  Radios like the IC7800, IC7700 and IC7600 are popular for good reasons, and these reasons Elecraft  is not interested in.
10. The P3 still has limited dynamic range and speed.  Its measurement suite, things such as markers is limited. The LP500 will kill it on features and it does not support higher power couplers. The P3 has some awful colors as choices and you cant monitor TX IMD say on an external screen. The display with external monitor is also limited.
11. I also would have thought that they build the K3S font panel as a remote radio panel another missed opportunity.
12. A low noise switch mode power supply build in  would have been nice as well.
13. They could have offered a direct sampling  receiver as the second receiver that could have done away with the P3 at the same time!

The K3S is really a K3MK2 not essentially a new radio.

I suppose those who love the K3 and drink the Koolaid will love the K3S. I suppose if you were contemplating buying a K3 the K3S would make a logical choice. I have 3 X K3's and I dont think  I will be sinking any more upgrades into them because it makes no sense. If they measured performance tests report dramatic results I might consider upgrading. However I cant see improving phase noise on RX when the K3 has such lousy 3rd  order IMD numbers on TX despite being cleaner than many radios. I will wait for the 200watt K4

New, K3S, see elecraft.com
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:04:39 PM »

Was the phase noise that bad to begin with?  This almost sounds like putting a band-aid on a scab.

I like larger radios with real knobs and simple menus, if any...  that's one reason I gravitated to the earlier TenTen Omni VI series when I upgraded.  Twenty year old technology, but the radios had the features that I wanted.  So, I am stuck with two Omni VI's and a Paragon II, and I am awaiting a better mouse trap to come along. Hopefully American made.

To some degree the Japanese manufacturers are also putting lipstick on old pigs in an attempt to get a few more years out of those model lines.

Pete
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »

If I choose, I can upgrade my K3.  This backward compatibility is something Bill Gates learned a long time ago and made millions off the idea.  With the ham market being limited as it is and the fact that hams are cheap, I don't know how these companies turn a profit.  As far as Elecraft customer service, they like TenTec are top shelf.
Art
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »

Not sure where the hams are cheap got started. .... News flash, talk to an electrician, plumber, or HVAC tech. Homeowners are cheap, restaurant owners are cheap, friends and family are cheap, its all around you.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »

Not sure where the hams are cheap got started. .... News flash, talk to an electrician, plumber, or HVAC tech. Homeowners are cheap, restaurant owners are cheap, friends and family are cheap, its all around you.

How about:

Humans are cheap.

Grin   Grin
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »

People will spend on some big ticket items if they derive pleasure or status from it, especially if credit is available. .... Once the price of admission is paid, they see any associated expenses such as installation, maintenance, and upgrades, and any other peripheral purchases, such as a marine SSB transceiver for a boat, as an annoying detail that is further depleting their accounts.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: