Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SV2ASP/A QSL...  (Read 14101 times)
LA8AW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »

Sent QSL direct on June 5th, received reply on July 8th - my #300 confirmed on CW  Grin

73 de LA8AW - Odd-Egil

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »

Congrats on CW #300 from Monk Apollo!

73, Gene AF3Y
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »

My 17m CW QSL card came in the mail today. Total turn around was 3 weeks 5 days. Stuck a $5 bill in it, and I am sure that didn't hurt.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
DF2RG

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »

Hi everybody,

since it's now a couple of months that I sent two envelopes with QSL's to Monk Apollo without any reply, I came back to this side to read the whole topic again.

It appears that an IRC will not work at all, and most people just had responses when sent three, four or even five Dollars.
If the surplus goes into the building up of the monasteries, then that's acceptable, but it should be mentioned somewhere.
After all the Hellenic Post is just charging 0.75€ or 1$ for mailing the cards, according to the information on
http://www.k4hb.com/postage/

73 de Gary, DF2RG

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2013, 05:04:04 AM »

Hi everybody,

since it's now a couple of months that I sent two envelopes with QSL's to Monk Apollo without any reply, I came back to this side to read the whole topic again.

It appears that an IRC will not work at all, and most people just had responses when sent three, four or even five Dollars.
If the surplus goes into the building up of the monasteries, then that's acceptable, but it should be mentioned somewhere.
After all the Hellenic Post is just charging 0.75€ or 1$ for mailing the cards, according to the information on

73 de Gary, DF2RG

Since he is the only game in town, he can charge whatever he wants.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

Hi everybody,

73 de Gary, DF2RG

Of course the money goes to the monastery!  The Monks don't have need of cash so all the money they make goes into maintaining the property.   Monk Apollo always replies but it does take some time, more than usual so one has to be patient because it might take 6 months to get a reply.  Anyway I had no problems sending him more than $5 because I knew all of it was going to the church.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2013, 01:41:08 AM »

Monk Apollo was QRV shortly ago on 17m, apparently with skeds with a couple JAs.  I actually heard him LP, and even more surprising, actually worked him for the 1st ever KH2 - SV/A QSO (that I am aware of).  I sort of elbowed my way through the JAs in a respectable sort of way (waiting for the last guy to complete his QSO).  KH2L has been on island for 40 years and is an avid DXer, he also was able to work him for an ATNO.

I believe, due to the terrain, the only chance for JA and OC is via LP due to a mountain blocking short path.  I never guessed in a million years that I'd have a shot.

For the VKs, this was about 08Z.

Back to the TN2 pileups (still a very tough nut to crack from here)...

-KH2/N2NL

DF2RG

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »

Smiley You just have to be patient ... I got mine finally today!

So I can tell you that you will get a QSL from Monk Apollo when you enclose an IRC or more.

It just took a couple of months, but that does not matter.
I just was getting a little bit nervous because of the expiration date of the IRC(s).

73 de Gary, DF2RG
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

Of course the money goes to the monastery!  The Monks don't have need of cash so all the money they make goes into maintaining the property.   Monk Apollo always replies but it does take some time, more than usual so one has to be patient because it might take 6 months to get a reply.  Anyway I had no problems sending him more than $5 because I knew all of it was going to the church.

Do you know that for a fact or do you surmise that?

I know very, very little about the Greek Orthodox Church.  I have been following the story about the German "Bling Bishop" with interest. Some Catholic religious orders take vows of poverty but even those priests need money for basic things.  Even a monk needs some money.

BTW, when I QSLed Monk Apollo many years ago I'm positive I included more Greenbacks than was required because I wanted the extra $ help him maintain his station so were I to QSL him again I'd include extra $ for that same reason.  I have a problem with hams making a week's pay off the hobby but not if some ham in a 3rd world country makes a few extra dollars so he can keep his station on the air.  I have a feeling the DX Community would supply Apollo all the equipment he needed if it ever came to that.

Chris   NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »

His German friend was supposed to bring a donated tower.  I wonder what ever happened to that.

Jonathan W6GX
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »

Mt Athos just ran third in the Melbourne Cup.
Maybe an omen, and I might even work Apollo?
Luke VK3HJ
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »

I got a card last week. About two months from the time I mailed it.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »

Mt Athos just ran third in the Melbourne Cup.
Maybe an omen, and I might even work Apollo?
Luke VK3HJ

Masa JE1LET has some kind of DX net with Apollo.  You might want to contact Masa to get the inside scoop.  Here's what I saw on Masa's QRZ page.  GL!

A good news from Monk,Apollo SV2ASP/A.

Tune your radio dial to 14.245 at 0730Z on this weekend.

If you are lucky, you can hear him and myself.

We run a DX NET on 28.555 or 21.365 around 2130Z-2300Z everyday.

Looking forward to see manyHams.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: