Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about "Deleted" entities?  (Read 1270 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »

I don't know why - but the concept of a "Deleted" entity has always seemed strange. . . .

One of the DX-ers who helped me with one of the DXCC Sleuth articles told me that the Deleted idea was supposed to have been dropped in the DXCC program. I wonder what they would have done if it were dropped.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

Not strange, but arcane perhaps.  It takes another DXer to understand the concept.  The world evolves politically and so does the DX program.  Doesn't mean the countries (hard to say "entities"...still) weren't valid when they were worked.

I think it's kind of cool.  A long list of deletes in your record signifies longevity in the DX game.  A badge of honor from the great days of DXing.

Time to take the QRPer up the hill to see the Old Timer and ask him what he thinks.  Bet he has a bunch of deletes in the bag.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:45:38 PM by K0RS » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »

Not strange, but arcane perhaps.  

The word "arcane" fits much better . . . . I like that!
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:03:34 AM »

Count me as one who is strongly in favor of keeping track of deleted countries.  I figure it's my life's work as a Dxer and it's also interesting to see how the political landscape has changed over the years.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:35:29 AM »

Count me as one who is strongly in favor of keeping track of deleted countries.  I figure it's my life's work as a Dxer and it's also interesting to see how the political landscape has changed over the years.

Chris/NU1O

I agree - mainly because the Honor Roll is just like a grading curve of sorts - its the "numerical top ten". This means you pretty much have to have deleted entities, right?

A reader of my blog told me that at one point, the DXCC powers that be floated an idea to "expunge" entities that no longer exist - as if they never existed. Someone had proposed to get rid of the deleted idea.

But I have not been able to figure out how that could work.

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »

I have a couple deleted entities from the late 80's, I'm in favor of hanging onto them!
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »

Chris/NU1O

I agree - mainly because the Honor Roll is just like a grading curve of sorts - its the "numerical top ten". This means you pretty much have to have deleted entities, right?

A reader of my blog told me that at one point, the DXCC powers that be floated an idea to "expunge" entities that no longer exist - as if they never existed. Someone had proposed to get rid of the deleted idea.

One problem with your statement ..... "Deleted entities don't count towards the Honor Roll" .......

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »

Chris/NU1O

One problem with your statement ..... "Deleted entities don't count towards the Honor Roll" .......

Gene W5DQ

Yes - that's right, Deleted entities don't count toward Honor Roll. . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: