Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal use in 146Mhz by Paragliders  (Read 9386 times)
JFROOT

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »

These folks have been illegally using 146.415 in BC for some time now.
They even advertise the fact:

http://www.paraglidenationals.com/rules/rules.php

What should be done here?

--
Jay
W4ETT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »

Send'em a polite email...if they respond negatively, enlist the help of some local hams to record their activities on 2 meters, and send the info the the Industry Canada.
Here is a copy of my note that I sent to them:

Quote:
Safety Frequency Infringement on Exclusive International Amateur Radio Frequencies

I hate to be a bore, but your specified safety frequency infringes on International Amateur Radio Frequencies in the 2 Meter 144-148 Mhz band.

Quote:
8. Communication

8.1 Safety frequency is 146.415 MHz. All pilots must have radios equipped to receive and transmit on this frequency.
Unquote

Only properly licensed amateur radio operators may transmit on this frequency.

Might I suggest one of the 14 authorized FRS UHF Frequencies authorized in Canada? Industry Canada designated 14 frequencies in the frequency range 462/467 MHz for Family Radio Service

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Don Harper/W4ETT
Amateur Radio Operator    

In any event, monitor their activities.

GOOD CATCH!!!

Don
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

Another portion of the their site states 'you must be licensed', but doesn't say what license.  I'm suprised they don't use standard ATC frequencies.  FRS would be better as the equipment is smaller, lighter, and cheaper.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »

They may be legal accorrding to Industry canada regs:

Interesting as I didn't know this rule existed direct from Industry Canada web page.

From industry Canada's Amateur radio regulations section 42:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-484/page-10.html#h-41

Operation in the Amateur Radio Service
Operating Qualifications

42. An individual may operate radio apparatus in the amateur radio service if the individual is the holder of one or more of the following certificates or licences:

(a) an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification;

(b) a Radiocommunication Operator General Certificate (Maritime);

(c) a Radio Operator’s First Class Certificate;

(d) a Radio Operator’s Second Class Certificate;

(e) a Radiotelephone Operator’s General Certificate (Aeronautical);

(f) a Radiotelephone Operator’s General Certificate (Maritime);

(g) a Radiotelephone Operator’s General Certificate (Land);

(h) a First-Class Radioelectronic Certificate;

(i) a radio licence in the amateur radio service and an amateur radio operator authorization, issued by the responsible administration of a country other than Canada, if

(i) the individual is a citizen of that country, and

(ii) a reciprocal arrangement that allows similar privileges to Canadians exists between that other country and Canada; and

(j) a radio licence for a radio station in the amateur radio service issued to a citizen of the United States by the Government of the United States.

Section (e) may grant them the authoization to operate but only if they have a valid General Aeronautical certificate.

Mike

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

The operation the glider group has in mind is communication once a glider lands in a field - for the chase team to find the glider. An FRS does not have the range for this.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »

It is COMMON for DEER hunters here in North Florida & South Georgia too use the 2 meter band while hunting deer with dogs as well as frequencies above & below the 2 meter band.The morning hunting season opens there is plenty of SIMPLEX usage & when they are advised to stop or move out of the 2 meter band it usually results in being cussed out.Been going on for a long time & it appears to get worse every year.Dozens & dozens of pickup trucks around here with 2 meter antennas on them but FEW are hams!It has been reported to both Riley & Laura but NO REPLIES from either.Little fish in a big tank & no money or enforcement of the bands. {:>(   Roll Eyes

Clayton
W4KVW
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

It is COMMON for DEER hunters here in North Florida & South Georgia too use the 2 meter band while hunting deer with dogs as well as frequencies above & below the 2 meter band.The morning hunting season opens there is plenty of SIMPLEX usage & when they are advised to stop or move out of the 2 meter band it usually results in being cussed out.Been going on for a long time & it appears to get worse every year.Dozens & dozens of pickup trucks around here with 2 meter antennas on them but FEW are hams!It has been reported to both Riley & Laura but NO REPLIES from either.Little fish in a big tank & no money or enforcement of the bands. {:>(   Roll Eyes

Clayton
W4KVW

Especially stupid when they could just use MURS frequencies, either with legitimate MURS radios or modified 2 m Ham gear.  No one would care there.

Gene
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 05:34:16 AM »

Sounds like a time for a lot high-power Ham to Ham simplex. if stations are in other than FM portions or even their CW might work wonders.

Per FCC remarks, you never interfere with an illegal station.

KF7CG
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »

They may be legal accorrding to Industry canada regs:

They are only legal if they have a commercial or amateur license.
W6UX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »

Interesting.  I originally got my Ham license because I took up Paragliding! We used simplex frequencies for Instructor to student comms, and for pilot to pilot ragchewing while we flew.  And of course for coordinating recovering of people that landed out in the boonies.

-Jeff
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:19 AM »

They have now modified the page (note there is NO freq listed just before Mhz):

http://www.paraglidenationals.com/rules/rules.php

8. Communication
8.1 Safety frequency is MHz. All pilots must have radios equipped to receive and transmit on this frequency.
8.2 All pilots must submit cellphone numbers during registration.
A cell phone is required so that the organizers can ensure communication with a pilot in case of failure to report at the end the day's task.
8.3 For pilots using SPOTS, contact information will be given out during registration.

Ken
K0MU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »

This is an interesting link where some CA paragliders acknowledge interfering with Amateur Repeaters:

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20111015/5858
http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20111016/5873
http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20060725/263

There seem to be some hams on the forum, but I can't tell if all of them are hams.  (some, but not all, of their names come back with valid calls in qrz).

I punched in 146.415 in the search part of their website and at least they are encouraging proper licensing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: