Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching audio in/out between headphones and computer  (Read 820 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »

Hi, Elmers,

A really little question. Does anyone make a switch that works the following way:

Normal position: Computer connects to its headphone, rig connects to its headphone
Digital mode position: Computer connects to rig, all headphones out of circuit

A quick sketch reveals that this would take an 8PDT switch to homebrew. If I can find such a switch for cheap, I'd rather just buy it than cobbling one together -- but I'm willing to cobble if I can find a suitable switch.

Thanks,
- Steve (WX2S.)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 05:41:57 AM »

If you have a newer rig (built in last 15 years or so) you can simply use the data port on the back of it for audio in and out for computer and not "switch" anything.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:27 AM »

Elecraft K3. I can see how to get the computer in/out to the rig (Line In and Line Out) but that ties up the computer connections unless they are duplexed. (Which I guess I could do.)

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:16:47 AM »

For any digital work, you really want two sound cards. One for computer audio and one for the data/audio connection.

Otherwise, your data/audio connection will play system sounds which is very bad form.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »

For any digital work, you really want two sound cards. One for computer audio and one for the data/audio connection.

Otherwise, your data/audio connection will play system sounds which is very bad form.

Agreed but this is easy to solve. I use a cheap USB sound card that is little bigger than a zip drive in a old laptop for a second sound device for use with Digi modes.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:15 AM »

Problem solved, I hope, thanks. Total cost $16 from Amazon (USB sound card + 2 cables.)

Talk about thinking inside of the box...  Grin

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: