Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP DX Honor Roll  (Read 4207 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »

The DXers here may be interested in this:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2012/09/07/from-sardine-sender-to-dxcc-honor-roll-in-10-years-qrp/

John AE5X

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:28:20 AM »

John,
 I saw your article in the QRP Quarterly. Dan, WG5G, has done a great job. He doesn't miss much. I didn't realize W3BBO also reached the honor roll also.
 I'm bringing up the rear with 293 all time and 286 current - so I have quite a ways to go get to HR.
 I also need 1 zone (26) for WAZ QRP. I could qualify for the 1st level of 5 band WAZ if I could just get 1 zone 26 QSO. Last week I had a good opening to Zone 26 on 15 meters and heard a loud HS. I forgot I disconnected the rotator during a bad electrical storm and when I turned my beam it didn't move. I didn't realize the problem until the next day.  Sad  I haven't heard conditions that good since then. Its always something with me and zone 26.

Dx'ing with 5 watts (or less) is great fun. Some big disappointments - but when you work a new one its a great feeling. What's neat about what Dan, WG5G, does is he isn't using a fancy rig. An older Kenwood, I believe. Most of his upgrade has been improving his antenna system. An efficient antenna system is the key.

Another thing I really enjoy is DX'ing with my HW-9. I built it back in 1984. When I'm not chasing a new one I DX with the HW-9. I'm up to 244 countries with it. A couple neat catches this past year were HK0NA and 7O6T. I never thought I would work a couple top 10 most needed with the HW-9, although by the time I worked them they weren't in the top 10 anymore  Grin. Last fall I worked 9M6XRO and 4F9HXB (now SK) both on 10 meters. Even though the HW-9 only does 3 watts on 10 it does pack a decent punch hooked up to a beam (HF5B). I'm hoping to get a shot at NH8S, but I'm waiting for the pileups to work down. So far it seems the NH8S team have been knocking out QSO's at a good pace.
 Speaking of the HW-9, I just worked the last station I needed for the All Bulgarian Saints Award. You have to work 5 of those special event LZ stations (ex. LZ1737SSS). More wallpaper for the shack.  Smiley

After Dx'ing a couple years with 100 watts (back in the early 80's), I went back to QRP. DX'ing with 5 watts is great fun Learning about propagation and working with antennas is really interesting and very satisfying when it all comes together.

Thanks again for the article, John.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »

John
I too read the article in QRP quarterly and it was a real shot in the arm. Thanks for that.  The part that really impressed me was...

"Less than a year later, 216 countries had been confirmed using a 2 element Yagi at 35 feet from a house at the bottom of a hill."

...whilst running QRP! Just two days ago I was reading on a forum and an OT was giving counsel to a new guy about how (I paraphrase) only 100 watts wouldn't be expected to do much. I immediately thought about Dan. Your article should almost be required reading for any new ham.

72 de WB0FDJ Doc
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

HELLO DOC, JOHN AND LARRY, SINCE YALL ARE ALL HERE, THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW FINALLY GOT NH8S TODAY AFTER TRYING TILL 2AM LAST NITE, I WENT TO BED IN FRUSTRATION, THINKING SO THIS IS GOING TO BE EASY HI HI. ANYWAY JOHN UR BLOG HAS ALL THE PHOTOS AND LOG INFO THAT THE QUARTERLY WOULDNT GIVE YOU ROOM FOR, VERY NICE JOB. AND YES LARRY, I THINK W8ILC, W4NL ARE ALSO QRP HONOR ROLLERS, MY NEXT GOAL IS CW HONOR ROLL, NEED 3 MORE COUNTRIES TO HIT 331. DOC AS THESE GUYS ALREADY KNOW, QRP IS VERY REWARDING, NOTHIN LIKE BUSTIN A BIG PILE UP FOR A NEW COUNTRY, IN THE BEGINNING TAKE BABY STEPS AND GROW AS UR TOTAL GROWS, LEARN, PRACTICE AND ENJOY, WELCOME TO A WHOLE OTHER WORLD OF HAM RADIO. P.S. HOPE THIS FORUM NOT SENSITIVE TO CAPS, HI HI. 73/72 DAN WG5G/QRP.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

You guys are killing me - I'm away on a business trip with no radio...Swains is going to end before I get home!

BTW, about W3BBO achieving the Honor Roll - that's an accomplishment at any power level but Larry W2LJ (on my blog as a comment) didn't mean to imply that he did it QRP.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:23:58 PM by AE5X » Logged
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »

All of the above are real nice sincere posts. Good job! I tip my hat to all of you. I haven't made the Honor Roll yet....I'm at 291 countries at 5 watts or less. In my opinion,its truly all in the antenna and one's operating skills plus a bit of luck at times.
Best regards and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU - A TRUE 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION.
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »

HELLO DON, IF MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY ARENT YOU THE QRPER THAT USED TO HANG OUT WITH TONY- WA2JUN AND THE 240 GROUP? IF SO SORRY TO HERE ABOUT TONY, HE HELPED ME SET A SKED WITH PETER ZS8MI BACK IN THE 90'S. ANYWAY, YES ANTENNA IS EVERYTHING AS YOU KNOW, I CHOOSE THE QUAD BECAUSE IM AT THE 50 FT HEIGHT LIMIT THE CITY RESTRICTED ME TO, REGARDLESS WHAT PEOPLE THINK I KNOW THIS ANTENNA WILL OUT PERFORM A YAGI AT THIS LOCATION, WELL IT WAS NICE TO FINALLY MEET YOU AND GOOD LUCK ON THE HONOR ROLL, THE BIG GUNS USED TO JUST GRIN WHEN I TOLD THEM I WAS GOING TO BE ON THE HONOR ROLL SOME DAY, HI HI 73/72 DAN WG5G/QRP.
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »

Hello Dan. Yep! I lost a real true BROTHER when Tony(WA2JUN) became a SK. Tony let me into the 14240 Group when others didn't/wouldn't take me serious as being a Qrp station. Eventually I was accepted and have become good friends with a number of hams in this WONDERFUL BROTHERHOOD. I still chuckle to myself remembering when UPS delivered a surprised Tony with a 28 element wire log periodic I had built for him. Never again did anyone ever question the antennas I claimed to be using. Hi hi. And I'm rambling. Congrads on your OUTSTANDING Qrp accomplishments Dan. Truly you have been an inspiration to ALL of us ...TO ME. I tip my hat sincerely to you Dan.
Don sr. - A REAL 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »

Don (and all who haven't already!) - you need to get over to http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html and submit your QRP DXCC totals.  Mighty impressive QRP totals guys!

73 de Lee

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »

Hello Dan. Yep! I lost a real true BROTHER when Tony(WA2JUN) became a SK. Tony let me into the 14240 Group when others didn't/wouldn't take me serious as being a Qrp station. Eventually I was accepted and have become good friends with a number of hams in this WONDERFUL BROTHERHOOD. I still chuckle to myself remembering when UPS delivered a surprised Tony with a 28 element wire log periodic I had built for him. Never again did anyone ever question the antennas I claimed to be using. Hi hi. And I'm rambling. Congrads on your OUTSTANDING Qrp accomplishments Dan. Truly you have been an inspiration to ALL of us ...TO ME. I tip my hat sincerely to you Dan.
Don sr. - A REAL 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION

Hello Don,
 One thing I'd like to do as soon as I finish my other ham radio projects in run my station on renewable energy and I'm interested in how you powering your station.

73, Larry NU4B
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »

NU4B- Larry--- Its just a simple 12 volt permanent magnet alternator( a car alternator- with replaced magnets) wind generator. It produces "raw" AC with 3 wires(house wire 10/3) to a rectifier changing AC to 12 volt DC-then charges a fairly large series/parallel battery bank. I believe  Wind Blue Power and Windy Nation sells these alternators if you choose not to convert your own alternator.In my opinion, wind generators are not hard to build or maintain if they are the smaller types.  Mine is mounted on a 2 inch iron pipe that is hinged at the bottom of the wooden telephone pole it butts up to. I can no longer climb towers; thus, I had to be resourceful  and make it "user friendly" for me being disabled now. When I want to lower the wind machine down for yearly inspection/maintain it all I have to do is use the geared 6 to 1 hand crank with the cable attached to it and let it down. Its more or less the same design as when you have a short piece of tower(15 feet) sunk in concrete and at the base of this tower there's a hinged plate that the larger tower(35-40 feet)is bolted to....the release of the hand crank slowly lowers it(tower + antenna) down to an angle where you can work on the antenna a step ladder heights. -in my case to work on the wind generator. And I'm rambling.....

Don sr. - A TRUE 5 WATT GREEN QRP STATION.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: