Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQWW CW + IC703 = FUN  (Read 382 times)
G0RIF

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »

Hi!

I don't work much CW these days having let my code skills slip somewhat during a nine year break from ham radio. However, since getting back on the bands a few years ago I'm trying to get back up to speed. It's still hard work though and more often than not I'll be found reverting back to SSB or (more usually) digimodes...until this past weekend!

CQWW CW 2007 found me on 20m with my IC-703 (turned down to max 5W output) and a simple attic dipole. Using only the internal keyer and memories (I had no key or paddle attached to the rig) I worked around 50 contest stations in search & pounce style, in 34 countries, including an all time new one for me (Kaliningrad). I had a ton of fun and I now can't wait for the next contest when I hope to work some more rapid fire CW.

Granted at times I took several (or more!) attempts at catching the calling stations callsign but having confirmed the call I sent my call twice (all programmed into keyer memory 1) and when I heard my call coming back at me (which was a real buzz every time!) I sent my report & callsign from keyer memory 2.

I hope over time to get an external keyer to allow me to use my JST245 and to run a little more power but even with my 5 watts output from the 703 I had more fun on the bands than I've had in a long time!

All the best,
Dean - G0RIF
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »

>CQWW CW + IC703 = FUN  Reply  
by G0RIF on November 26, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
CQWW CW 2007 found me on 20m with my IC-703 (turned down to max 5W output) and a simple attic dipole. Using only the internal keyer and memories (I had no key or paddle attached to the rig) I worked around 50 contest stations in search & pounce style, in 34 countries, including an all time new one for me (Kaliningrad).<

::How did you make *any* contacts at all without a key or paddle?  To complete a valid CW contact, you're supposed to send the other station's callsign (at least once) to confirm who you're working!

WB2WIK/6
G0RIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:42:01 AM »

"::How did you make *any* contacts at all without a key or paddle? To complete a valid CW contact, you're supposed to send the other station's callsign (at least once) to confirm who you're working!"

During my periods of "call capture" I just dial the callsign into the keyer memory to prefix the report & my own call. Maybe not in the "spirit" of CW but no different from [other] digimodes where it's all macro driven.

Granted the max QSO rate by this method is somewhat limited but it at least allows me to "have a go" with CW without too much outlay.

Regards,
Dean - G0RIF
KG4ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »

I too had wonderful fun with CQWW CW and made many contacts with dx stations.  This was my first ever CW contest that I took "part" in.  I did the standard "hunt and pounce" like many.  Now the question is, do I send in all my qsos that I have logged? I am not sure how this works.  I am thinking that the stations will only get credit for my qsos if I send them in.

Any input on this?

KG4ZNA
Arindam Basu
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »

Stations you worked during the contest get credit for the QSOs whether you enter your log or not. If you used a contest logging program, sending in your log is easy via e-mail attachment. If not, you can still enter your data by using the so-called Cabrillo style log format. Just Google Cabrillo and you can learn what's involved.

As for working the contest without a key or paddles attached to the rig, many of us do that. I use my contest logging program to send CW using WinKey. In effect, my computer is my keyer but technically speaking, I had no key or paddle attached. I'm sure many others do the same. I copy in my head and send from the computer keyboard -- the same keyboard that I am using to log QSOs.

As for sending the other station's callsign to make a contest Q, that is rarely, rarely done and is frowned upon many ops. In fact, I made several hundred Qs in CQWW and don't remember anyone ever sending me my call -- just theirs.

73, N4KZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »

I don't see any legal requirement (at least in the US) that requires a station to transmit the callsign of the station being worked. The only requirement is to identify the station your operating at least every 10 minutes or at the end of your final transmission. The final transmission ID requireemnt is definetly abused. The actual correct response to a contest report would be something like "bk 59904 de NU4B" if you are moving to a different frequency. (search and pounce)

Although some contests have them, the CQWW does not define a good QSO other than one made within the requirements of your license and within the rules of the contest. (Some contests do require the both station ID's to be transmitted by both stations.)

But back to the IC703 - its a great radio to operate with many features for the price. I'm using one as my home station. Another nice feature includes has serial number increment and decrement featues. Not needed in this contest but very handy in many others. If you end up with a busted QSO, you just hit a button and return to the last serial number.

Anyway, since ICOM fixed the bugs it a nice rig. Glad you enjoyed the contest. Its a fun contest to really put your station to work and see what you can do.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:58:22 AM »

I too had a blast. I used my Heath HW-16 (about 50W out, with the wind at my back!) with HG-10 VFO, and a 135 foot skywire up 90 feet, to make several hundred QSO's to 55 different DXCC entities, on 40M and 15M.

15M was doing remarkably well here on the E. Coast of the US to every spot around the globe.

I only spent a few hours each day.

I got a couple of QSO's in on 80M, but the only one that was particularly useful was getting Hawaii for my 80M WAS. I was not a big gun on 80M, that's for sure! On 40M or 15M I could almost always make myself heard and complete the QSO; on 80M, more often than not, I'm sure I was not being heard. A little surprising because I do so well on 80M stateside most non-contest nights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: