Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: proper length of 18 gauge wire to use for antenna for a realistic DX150A ?  (Read 781 times)
KB3YJO

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »

greeting to all the wonderful and helpful hams and swl radio folks .i hope your summer is being filled w/ much great monitoring and some super DXing.

i want to upgrade my single wire antenna for my REALISTIC DX150A.at the moment i am using about15 feet of half a speaker wire.
i bought some 18 gauge 25 feet in length.i was wondering is it better to use all 25 feet or less?this will be an indoor antenna.

my tuning dial is now working perfect and smooth as silk thanks to the advice i gathered here last month w/ regards to it being stuck and only going one direction.so if i can get some good advice on the length of wire[insulated of course] to use for my DX150A i will be one very happy camper.
to add i use a slinky that for my other radios i have been alligator clipping the loose end of the antenna to.

any and all advice welcomed and much appreciated.
happy DXing and monitoring.
God Bless and 73,david KB3YJO
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »

Longer is better.
Higher is better.

Make it as long as possible and place it as high as possible.
Outside is better than inside.

GL
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »

I would use it all. I usually use 30-50 feet. 18 gauge is thick. I would use thinner, just for convenience.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »

For receiving, you want as much wire as you can reasonably get, OUTdoors, and UP as high as you can safely get it.  There's no need for any specific length because you'll probably be listening all over HF and AMBC.  Have fun!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »

Use as much as you can, preferably getting it out of the house, or at least as
far from the rig as possible.

I got started in SWL using scraps of telephone cable that I picked up at construction
sites, removed all the individual conductors and spliced them together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: