Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna heighth  (Read 1337 times)
SNIG64

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »

Hello all:

Will there be any significant advantage for me to go from a 20ft pole to a 45ft tower when I am at 316ft ASL?

There is a VHF tower I'm trying to pick up with a 9dB yagi, but not sure if this is worth the effort.

Secondly, I am trying to get LTE. While I realize 0mv * 10dBi is 0, would that possibly give a few mv to boost?

Thank you for your time.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »

The overall path matters more than just the antenna height for this kind of problem.  You are basically dealing with a line-of-sight situation best I can tell. (It's a cell phone, right?  Then it's UHF - even "more" line-of-sight than VHF)

At a limit, suppose your desired target were 10000 miles away? Or if there were a big mountain in the way? Then your proposed change in antenna height at VHF would matter very little.

There are free online path-loss calculators that let you enter your antenna height, the target's height and lat/longs - try Googling for them.

Mike N2MG
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:15 PM »

I am trying to get LTE. While I realize 0mv * 10dBi is 0, would that possibly give a few mv to boost?
It depends on WHERE that LTE site is that you are trying to reach.  IF an additional 25 feet brings your remote antenna "in sight of" (over an obstruction the the signal path) that LTE site, then it is a good change.

LTE -- Long Term Evolution, 4G LTE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_(telecommunication)

LTE is a standard for wireless data communications technology and an evolution of the GSM/UMTS standards. The goal of LTE was to increase the capacity and speed of wireless data networks using new DSP (digital signal processing) techniques and modulations that were developed around the turn of the millennium. A further goal was the redesign and simplification of the network architecture to an IP-based system with significantly reduced transfer latency compared to the 3G architecture. The LTE wireless interface is incompatible with 2G and 3G networks, so that it must be operated on a separate wireless spectrum.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:31:22 PM by W9GB » Logged
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »

On these frequencies, if you live in a hilly area, you might even use reflections off mountain faces.
SNIG64

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

Thank you for the responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: