Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS 590 S and Heil HC 5 mike element  (Read 19805 times)
K4RVN

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »

Got my new Kenwood 590 today and now setting up menu for use with a Heil HC 5 mike element. Anyone using this mike on a 590 that would give me the settings for excellent audio. I talked with a station in New Zeland tonight on a 100 watts and hex beam. He said my audio was not clear running the default settings. He further explained it sounded like I was talking with my nose squeezed. I have tried listening to myself on another radio with no antenna as Bob Heil suggested but cannot seem to get the good sound I would like to have. Any comments would be appreciated. Heil said it will work fine with the 590.

Frank
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:36:05 AM »

We use a headset with a HC5 at our club with a TS590 and it works fine. No TX equalisation with the processor enabled with PROC-IN and OUT set to where they need to be - no more than 10dB of compression and the ALC not too high.

Try using the TX presets. HB2 gives top end with a bit of bottom compared to HB1 which is all top end. U is user which you set up with the ARCP-590 software.

Also when doing the receiving on a second set you need to tune about a bit until it sounds right, not just set both to say 14.200. That is because there will be inaccuracies in actual frequency between the both due to tolerances in the oscillator, especially if neither radio has a TXCO fitted.

HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:26:05 AM »

I also use my headset with its HC5 with my TS-590 and get very good audio reports. TX equalizer is off and the hard speech processor is set to 10 dB compression. Maybe your HC5 elemet is defect?

73, Peter - HB9PJT
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »

It sounds like RF is getting back into the audio circuit.  So what does it sound like when operating into a known good dummy load?  What type antenna system are you using?

-Mike.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:10:18 AM »

http://heilsound.com/amateur/dspsettings/all_kenwood.php

New Kenwood TS-590 Setup Recommendations

Kenwood's exciting new TS-590S transceiver promises to be popular among active operators throughout the world. We are already getting a lot of questions about the best "settings" for the on-board DSP microphone equalizer.

The TS-590S does have a very sophisticated software-programmable equalizer system, but that's not required in order to get on the air while sounding great.

Menu items 25 and 26 set the transmitter's bandwidth. Leave them at factory defaults to get started; they'll set you up for a low-end cutoff of 300 Hz, and a high-end cutoff of 2700Hz.

Now go to Menu #30, and select "C" ("Conventional"), which will give the audio frequencies above 600Hz a slight (3 dB) boost. That will be good for starters. You may also select "HB2" (High Boost 2) if you're using a wide-range microphone, like the PR 781, on the TS-590. The High Boost 2 selection will suppress the lower frequencies, and give you more "sparkle" on the high side, for good communication-quality audio.

Ultimately, though, much of the fun of acquiring a new radio is the experimentation with its many features. Read the operating manual, especially on page 32, and then try out the many available bandwidths and equalization possibilities. Listen to yourself on a separate receiver, with its antenna disconnected and its noise blanker turned off, to know exactly how you'll sound to others listening to you on the air.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I had done my homework on this rig before it arrived. I read everthing I could find on the net for setting it up including an email to Heil. I might add that Heil's Larry replied right away with suggestions.
I did finally get it to some decent audio. Each voice can require different settings and through trial and error I found my menu settings. I connected the radio to a dummy load and listened on my TT Corsair with no antenna on it using earphones. It took a rest overnight, reading the manual several times, then trying several settings, but finally success. Case Closed for me.
I do appreciate the posted info and thanks again. I have talked to several stations and asked them could they understand me and how does it sound. All gave me good reports since I adjusted the onboard equalizer and compression settings in the menu. I may later download the software to use my computer to set up an equalizer. Right now, I still have work to do connecting up my amp and other connections after removing my Icom 7200.

Frank
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:30:46 PM by K4RVN » Logged
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »

So tell us:

. . . What are the settings that work for you?

. . . What did you change after the good night's sleep?

Thanks --

Charles
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 07:26:58 AM »

Charles, These settings would be specific for my voice which is somewhat on the high side as compared to a bass voice.
The 590 allows two menus and A and a B. I set one up for rag chewing and another for DX breaking pile ups.
They are as follows for the Heil HC 5 which actually is not within the impedance range of the Mics in the 590 manual.
It will give very good audio for my voice, I can attest to that from on the air multiple reports both DX and state side.

Settings:Rag chew A

Menu no.     Setting           Function
30                 bb1              TX equalizer
29                 soft               processor effect
26                 2800             high cut off
25                 100               low cut off

B menu DX settings as above
                     bb2
                     hard

Compression was set to give under 10 DB on the meter but enough to drive the amp OK. This is a button function
and can be adjusted with the multi control.  Mic gain was set for just a touch of ALC on the meter . Setting was made using the button and multi control to 38. The default setting is 50.
Running about 850 watts I worked Dx a plenty and broke some large pile ups with the hex beam at 50 ft.
I also got the opinions from several stateside stations as a push of the A/B button allows imediate change from  the A menu to B menu for comparison.  

Frank

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:31:44 AM by K4RVN » Logged
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »

A suggestion, FWIW:

. . . Raise the bass cutoff frequency on your "DX" setting to 300 - 400 Hz.

You'll sound less "natural", but you might have a signal that's easier to read in bad conditions.  Eliminating the bass lets the rig put more power into the mid-highs (1000-2500 Hz) that are important for comprehension under noisy conditions.

Charles

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »

I may try that but since I don't have a low voice it probably would make little difference. Thanks for the suggestion and I will try that one for sure to see what effect it has. It will only take a minute so the next good Dx signal I talk to I may do it then. This is a great rig, but I still like the little 7200 twin pass band tuning and quiet receiver. I think I will keep it and sell my old Corsair 2 if I reduce to two transceivers.

Frank
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »

Got my new Kenwood 590 today and now setting up menu for use with a Heil HC 5 mike element. Anyone using this mike on a 590 that would give me the settings for excellent audio. I talked with a station in New Zeland tonight on a 100 watts and hex beam. He said my audio was not clear running the default settings. He further explained it sounded like I was talking with my nose squeezed. I have tried listening to myself on another radio with no antenna as Bob Heil suggested but cannot seem to get the good sound I would like to have. Any comments would be appreciated. Heil said it will work fine with the 590.

Frank

Heil used to have initial setting recommendations on their website for their products like mics. I would suggest that you look over there and start with that.

I would also suggest that you get a local ham who is familiar with your voice to communincate with you locally using low power and perhaps on 10M when the band is dead.

Start with the processing off and add a little effects at a time to get the settings correct. I have never setup a 590 so I don't know what effect options are there but don't try to do them all at once. Get the levels set for proper ALC deflection (drive) and then adjust for audioresponse/rolloff/lows/high/mids/whatever, just do them one at a time and record the changes as you go step by step. Once you have all the settings tailored for your voice, record them on paper and store them away because sometime in the future you will need to do this all again - guarenteed Smiley

Good Luck. For best results, refer to your owners manual for menus and options available.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 04:22:11 AM »

Lots of useful and detailed 590 information on Ian Wades website:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

Specifically setting up the TX audio

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/TS-590S_TECHNOTE_ssb_audio_handling_v1.0.pdf

plus another page with emphasis (no pun intended) on configuration for Digital modes.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/HOWTO_TS-590S_digital_and_dv_v1.7.pdf

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »

Thanks for replies. I mastered the radio menus and the HC 5 works fine with my voice characteristics. Martin, the link is bookmarked for future use. I did scan over it.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: