Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lifetime License request  (Read 6151 times)
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »

As for "lifetime licenses", I much prefer the "lifetime examination element credit" proposal made by Anchorage VEC. Lifetime licenses don't make sense, but lifetime credit does.

I'm OK with granting lifetime credit in principle.  However, as a VE, I'm concerned about granting lifetime credit to people who took exams years ago.  The last thing I want to do is have to figure out whether the Joe Smith who wants to renew his long-expired license is the same Joe Smith who appears on the Xeroxed Callbook page that's being presented as proof of a previous license.  (It's iffy enough that we have to do this for element 3 grandfathering.)

If the FCC wants to take matters out of the hands of VEs and do the vetting itself (fat chance), that'd be fine.  Or if exam credit is limited to expired licenses that appear in the FCC database, that'd be fine, too.  Or maybe it'd be OK if the renewal applicant had to present the original license.

In short, if lifetime exam credit is to be a reality, we have to make sure that it's implemented in a way that doesn't create headaches or bogus hams.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

I'm OK with granting lifetime credit in principle.  However, as a VE, I'm concerned about granting lifetime credit to people who took exams years ago.  The last thing I want to do is have to figure out whether the Joe Smith who wants to renew his long-expired license is the same Joe Smith who appears on the Xeroxed Callbook page that's being presented as proof of a previous license.  (It's iffy enough that we have to do this for element 3 grandfathering.)

Agreed. (I'm a VE too.) My expectation is that this would be an area where VEs would be able to defer to the VECs if there was any doubt. I think there's a big difference between a "Stephen Melachrinos" (arguably an unusual surname) coming in with an original license from 30 years ago, and a "Joe Smith" bringing a photocopy of a callbook, saying he's the same Joe Smith who used to live in Arkansas then even though he has no proof. The gray zone in between is a judgment call, and if the VEs are not confident, then they should be able to let the VEC make the ruling.

Steve Melachrinos (who really still does have his original licenses from 30+ years ago)
W3HF
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

Steve Melachrinos?  OMG, not THAT Steve Melachrinos!   Grin

'Sup Steve?

Terry, WØFM
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: