Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HK0NA LOTW is out  (Read 3013 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »

Just noticed, all my QSO's are posted.  Got my card several months ago, but now the LOTW records are there

VA2FSQ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »

Only 2 of mine have been posted. I guess the system is working through all the tens of thousands of QSOs.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »

Half of mine are on LoTW.  Clublog confirmed all of them are valid.  Any idea why only some are showing up?
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »

Any idea why only some are showing up?
Because they're still rolling into the system.  I just noticed a couple of mine came in within the past half hour or so.  Give it some time.

Chuck  NI0C
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »

I received all of my QSL's some time ago and today only have my RTTY QSO's in LOTW. The system (LOTW) must still be crunching out the QSO's. Be patient...

73 De Mike
VE3YF
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06:28 PM »

9 Of my 13 QSOs are on LOTW now. Smiley  73, Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »

4 of my 8 are there. Smiley
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

my ten are all confirmed.  That finally gives me 100 entities confirmed on 10 meters (I was stuck on 99 for a while).  I'm within 10 countries on 20m and 40m for 100, but on 80m I only have 12 confirmed  Embarrassed

for 5 band DXCC I guess it has to be 10, 15, 20, 40, and 80(?)  I was thinking the new WARC bands would give me shot at what was once but a pipe dream when I was a teen in the 1977 and propagation wasn't very good.

If I put up a decent 80 meter dipole how hard is it with 100 watts?  I a m good with CW, but have an Advanced so can't get below 3.525...
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »

My last of my 10 just showed up an hour ago.  I had my first show up at 16:00utc.  Coincidentally my QSL cards showed up today too.  Good day for DXing for me... Malpelo just happens to be my 150th confirmed entity. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 02:54:29 AM »

Just checked my LOTW Status, and no new updates for the HK0NA QSO's, only the RTTY QSO's are showing. Upon further investigation I found this.

http://www.sjdxa.org/hk0na.htm

Bob N2OO gives a good explanation of the problem and he is on top of the situation.

It will be a bit longer for all LOTW QSO's to show up.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 03:18:48 AM »

my ten are all confirmed.  That finally gives me 100 entities confirmed on 10 meters (I was stuck on 99 for a while).  I'm within 10 countries on 20m and 40m for 100, but on 80m I only have 12 confirmed  Embarrassed

for 5 band DXCC I guess it has to be 10, 15, 20, 40, and 80(?)  I was thinking the new WARC bands would give me shot at what was once but a pipe dream when I was a teen in the 1977 and propagation wasn't very good.

If I put up a decent 80 meter dipole how hard is it with 100 watts?  I a m good with CW, but have an Advanced so can't get below 3.525...

I think your license class will be more of a hindrance than the dipole and 100 watts. I've got 111 on 80 with 5 watts and a windom. (It took a while.  Grin)

Hit the contests hard to make up for the missing 25 KHZ. Especially CQWW, WPX, and ARRL DX. These are contests where many DX stations will operate above 3525.

Keep an eye out for DXpeditions. Many (if not most) will transmit in the extra portion close to 3525 and listen above 3525.

If you have the land, have 2 80 meter dipoles perpendicular to each other and broadside to the major areas you need. (And get them as high as possible.)

And finally remember as the solar cycle winds down and conditions on the upper bands deteriorate (I know this cycle deterioration is relative on the upper bands  Grin), the lower band conditions will improve.

If you add the entities from NA, SA, EU, and west Africa your really close to 100. You should be able to catch some east pacific fairly easily to make up for any missed.

Good luck and have fun.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »

I think your license class will be more of a hindrance than the dipole and 100 watts. I've got 111 on 80 with 5 watts and a windom. (It took a while.  Grin)

Hit the contests hard to make up for the missing 25 KHZ. Especially CQWW, WPX, and ARRL DX. These are contests where many DX stations will operate above 3525.

Keep an eye out for DXpeditions. Many (if not most) will transmit in the extra portion close to 3525 and listen above 3525.

If you have the land, have 2 80 meter dipoles perpendicular to each other and broadside to the major areas you need. (And get them as high as possible.)

And finally remember as the solar cycle winds down and conditions on the upper bands deteriorate (I know this cycle deterioration is relative on the upper bands  Grin), the lower band conditions will improve.

If you add the entities from NA, SA, EU, and west Africa your really close to 100. You should be able to catch some east pacific fairly easily to make up for any missed.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the helpful reply!  111 confirmed on 80 meters with only 5 watts is awesome!  nice work!   I guess the CB sounding voices on 80 that insist you need a linear just to work your next door neighbor aren't right about everything...   Roll Eyes

It would be interesting to know what percentage of your 80m QSOs were below 3.525 and how cyclical they were. 

I have yet to use a full 1/2 wave dipole so I am sure that will be a big help once I decide to work on 80.  I only have about 120ft to work with and getting the apex higher than 40ft is a problem as well, but a true half wave would be a good start...

The Extra upgrade would be wise too, but I still have a problem with being a 1977 Advanced but not allowed in the CW segments of bands where guys (and gals)  who don't even know code are allowed LOL.  Then add in that I have to take (study for) a huge exam even though I already passed all of the Advanced section of the 'Extra' exam so the Extra portion 'should' be ridiculously smaller than what it (now) is.  My test taking abilities have declined too.  I hear a re-emergence of tubes are the latest thing -- maybe if the exam goes back to tube theory I will be fine LOL. Sorry for the whine/vent about the CW Extra segments not being available to FCC office, code-tested Advanced licensees like myself.  I feel better now though :-)

Do you do 160 and if so how many entities do you have confirmed there? I guess the low bands are a good taste of old school DX...

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 05:55:42 AM »

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the helpful reply!  111 confirmed on 80 meters with only 5 watts is awesome!  nice work!   I guess the CB sounding voices on 80 that insist you need a linear just to work your next door neighbor aren't right about everything...   Roll Eyes

It would be interesting to know what percentage of your 80m QSOs were below 3.525 and how cyclical they were. 

I have yet to use a full 1/2 wave dipole so I am sure that will be a big help once I decide to work on 80.  I only have about 120ft to work with and getting the apex higher than 40ft is a problem as well, but a true half wave would be a good start...

The Extra upgrade would be wise too, but I still have a problem with being a 1977 Advanced but not allowed in the CW segments of bands where guys (and gals)  who don't even know code are allowed LOL.  Then add in that I have to take (study for) a huge exam even though I already passed all of the Advanced section of the 'Extra' exam so the Extra portion 'should' be ridiculously smaller than what it (now) is.  My test taking abilities have declined too.  I hear a re-emergence of tubes are the latest thing -- maybe if the exam goes back to tube theory I will be fine LOL. Sorry for the whine/vent about the CW Extra segments not being available to FCC office, code-tested Advanced licensees like myself.  I feel better now though :-)

Do you do 160 and if so how many entities do you have confirmed there? I guess the low bands are a good taste of old school DX...

Well, power helps! I do QRP because I enjoy it, but its definitely not for everybody. I assumed an amp wasn't in the works. But if you can get an amp it sure would make a difference for you. As would upgrading your license to extra. That's probably the one big thing you could do.  I was assuming your ticket remained the same, 100 watts and a dipole. I guess my point was with those limitations DXCC on 80 is certainly doable. It might not be as quick as if you had a nice big amp to keep you warm in the winter, but its doable.

I'm not on 160. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't have the space at this point for a suitable antenna. 160 is a whole other ballgame even when compared to 80 meters. That band would probably convince me to add power.  Grin
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 06:29:36 AM »

Well, power helps! I do QRP because I enjoy it, but its definitely not for everybody. I assumed an amp wasn't in the works. But if you can get an amp it sure would make a difference for you. As would upgrading your license to extra. That's probably the one big thing you could do.  I was assuming your ticket remained the same, 100 watts and a dipole. I guess my point was with those limitations DXCC on 80 is certainly doable. It might not be as quick as if you had a nice big amp to keep you warm in the winter, but its doable.

I'm not on 160. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't have the space at this point for a suitable antenna. 160 is a whole other ballgame even when compared to 80 meters. That band would probably convince me to add power.  Grin

I am trying to get motivated to study for the Extra exam.  If I could afford to upgrade my station right now, I would first go with a higher, better antenna and then get an amp, but neither is going to happen here anytime soon.  Still, I imagine the sense of accomplishment of doing 80m DXCC with 5 watts is a whole lot different than doing it with 2Kw. Probably a sour grapes thing is filtering in here, but i still say that running a marathon is an accomplishment; driving one in a car -- not so much! LOL  73!
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »

I am trying to get motivated to study for the Extra exam.  If I could afford to upgrade my station right now, I would first go with a higher, better antenna and then get an amp, but neither is going to happen here anytime soon.  Still, I imagine the sense of accomplishment of doing 80m DXCC with 5 watts is a whole lot different than doing it with 2Kw. Probably a sour grapes thing is filtering in here, but i still say that running a marathon is an accomplishment; driving one in a car -- not so much! LOL  73!

I'm using a Radio Works Carolina Short 80 windom. It fits in 100'. Its 132' long but has 2 vertical 16' sections at each end. Mine is about 35' in the air.
QRP has big thrills .... and big disappointments. One of my biggest 80 meter thrills was VQ9LA grey line. I couldn't believe he heard me. I thought it might be a pirate until it showed up in LoTW.  Grin ZL8X was another good one on 80. (Actually with 5 watts  - there all good ones.  Grin)
It certainly is a thrill to work a new one on 80. I was using a HF2V. Not much past the Caribbean and a couple EU's, but the windom really made a big difference. The HF2V is a good ant. but not really effective on 80 with 5 watts. I will have to go look at my stats for any cyclical info, but the solar min was very productive. I finished 80 DXCC just before the uptick in the new cycle.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: