Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W4RT One Big Punch help  (Read 2099 times)
K3BAK

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »

I had W4RT install the one big punch in my ft-857d microphone. I normally set my mic gain at 70 and my audio reports are good. I turned the gain down to 13 and turned the processor off to use it with the OBP in order to not overdrive. It worked fine for a few months and now my audio is unintelligible. Anyone have this same issue or any ideas?
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »

Anyone!!!
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me the thing to do is call W4RT and ask him about it.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »

Mine works wonderfully. I would suggest a call or email to them.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »

I had W4RT perform the installation of their One Big Punch in my Yaesu MH-31 microphone used with my Yaesu FT-857D transceiver ...
W4RT Electronics warrantee on its products (OPP-xxx, OBP, OBF, OPF, Antenna BOSS & BOSS II, etc.) is typically one year, except on battery packs, which is ninety days. Specific terms are presented in the product instruction manual. W4RT Electronics does not (i) sell used products nor (ii) have any provisions for customers to "try product out for evaluation."

OBP Installation and User's Manual -- Check your FT-857D menu setups.
http://www.w4rt.com/Manuals/OBP_manual.pdf

How the W4RT One Big Punch (OBP) works.
http://www.w4rt.com/FT-817-Accessories/OBP_tech.htm

One BIG Punch (OBP) is a custom add-on accessory for the Yaesu MH-31 microphone that is used with the FT-817(ND), FT-847, FT-857(D), and FT-897(D). The OBP is an AF-based speech compressor specifically configured to provide remarkable increase in talk power while maintaining good audio quality (articulation) for communication purposes.

K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I emailed them, still waiting a reply. Just was curious if anyone had any issues with the OBP.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:57 PM »

They were probably pretty busy the last few days as they had a booth at the Huntsville Hamfest.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »

You can't call them...no phone...good luck getting a reply via email...busy or not, they never seem to have time to return emails...however, they will be more than happy to take your money.  :-)
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »

Hi,

Assuming that the problem is actually due to the modified microphone (can you check with another mic ?). And that it's not due to RF in the shack (can you check with a dummy load ?)

It's a relatively simple circuit to fault-find.

The device data sheet and sample circuits can be found here.

http://www.analog.com/en/obsolete/ssm2165/products/product.html

Personally, I'd open up the microphone housing and see if any wires have come adrift.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: