Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Came into a bit of extra $$$ need upgrade advice  (Read 3291 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »

OK so I have come up with a bit of extra money that I was not expecting.  The amount isn't that important, but I am planing on using some of it to upgrade my system.  The station consists of a Yaesu FT-2000D with the AC0C roofing filter mod.  I have a Alpha 76a that has been converted to run on two 3cx800a7 tubes. The "weak" point of my system is my 160m windom antenna that for all intents and purposes can not be changed until I move from my current QTH (I bought my house when license lapsed).  I am wondering what you all would do to upgrade.  Lets say I have around a kilo-buck to spend.  I am initially debating on getting either the DMU for the Yaesu or getting the LP pan.  But could be persuaded to go another route. Help me spend my money.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »

What sort of HF antennas do you have up?  What space and/or HOA limitations do you have on antennas?

John AF5CC
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »

Antenna restrictions are pretty bad. Hidden wire only. I have a few "experimental" antennas delta loops for 30m, 40m and a 160m windom. That is about all I can have. Unfortunately I wasn't into ham radio when I bought my house. But the windom and 2 delta loops get the job done.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »

Personally I would not spend the money on the DMU. Here in Canada I could almost buy a new FT-950 for the same price I could buy the DMU.

If I were you I would try and find a better way to get your antennas working. JMO
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »

Without better antenna, there is not much you can add to the RF chain.

How about test equipment?

VHF/UHF?

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 04:31:37 AM »

My dad has most all the test equipment I could ever need. I think I am going to add a better DSP like the Time Wave 59zn. The rest, I am going to put in my land purchasing fund.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

Personally I wouldn't spend anything on the DMU.  I've used it many times and it does nothing for me with respect to working a single new station.

Hmmm...antenna restrictions...

I'd consider finding a friend who doesn't have any, and has really good antennas, and spending the money on a remote access setup to use his antennas when he's not using them. Wink
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

If you want an excellent specturm scope I prefer the RF Space SDR-IQ.  Its a cleaner and simpler installation and operationally superior to the LP Pan by a long shot.  The SDR-IQ does require the radio ($500) AND the IF-2000 board which is made for the FT-2000 but it take a whole 5 minutes to pop the board into the radio where the Yaesu DMU board goes.  The SDR-IQ does NOT require a fancy computer sound card, it is powered by a single USB cable to your computer.  the SectraVue software is free and quite mature with excellent speed and features. 

FYI, my humble opinion as a loyal SDR-IQ user.  No, I don't sell them...

greg
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »

Put it ALL in land purchase!

Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: