Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a diagram on installing 2 meter mobile in 99 Ford Explorer or similar  (Read 2470 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »

I have been looking on the internet for a diagram on how to install a two meter mobile radio for a 99 Ford Explorer. I have a Yaesu 2-meter mobile that I'd like to install in the vehicle.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »

I doubt that you will find such a diagram.  The variations on an install can be significant from vehicle to vehicle even in the same model and year.  Trim level and options can vary.  Even the differences between a stick or automatic factor in.  Your choice of antennas and mounts along with the specific radio you choose can add more variation.

I would start by choosing antenna and mount along with your chosen radio and get them in-hand.  Figure out where you will mount the radio and microphone taking in the need for ventilation for the radio, your need to access the radio controls and view the display and a location for the mike that will be easily accessible while operating the vehicle. 

Depending on your skill level, the type of antenna mount and the tools you have available, you may want to take your vehicle to a stereo installation shop or radio shop to mount the antenna and run cables.  If these operations are within your capabilities, consider cable routing, protecting cables from sharp edges and, in the case of a through metal mount, how you will locate and drill the mounting holes.

Additionally, you may have RF noise problems from the engine and on-board computers or may in fact cause interference to these systems.

A challenge but, doable with a little patience.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

Just do it.  It isn't rocket science, no one is going to hold your hand.

Chewing gum, velcro, Cherry rivets, nails and plywood....whatever.

It's just a car that will be razor blades in 15 years.

**Please don't take my rant personally**

It's just that I don't understand why we have people asking the same question endlessly every week.  There is no magic formula.   The internet has endless examples of how to do an install.

Speaking of which, please check out Alans' Gem:   http://www.k0bg.com/
Everything you wanted to know about mobile installs. Everything.

Don't be afraid to jump in and do something.  You may change your mind for a better way in a month but that is ok.    GL,  Bill
K0ECW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »

If you are afraid or unable to do an install yourself, find the local radio shop that does installs for public safety vehicles. I have taken three vehicles in over the years to have power run from the battery through the firewall to a radio. They also have all the tools for installing NMO mounts properly. Expect to pay for this service but it will be professionally done and worth it.

A radio install shop should be able to run power/antenna in a Ford Explorer with their eyes closed.

Alternately, find the guy in the club who knows how to do this and ask him to help you do your install. He probably has the tools and so you would just need the materials. Expect to buy him a case of beer and a pizza. Then you will know how to do an install the next time, from experience.

Or wing it. The burned hand teaches best. Make sure you have another vehicle available to take to the auto parts store if you drill through the firewall into your water pump or heater core (hi hi).

Good Luck,

Eric, K0ECW
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »

Talk to Dwayne At Riveroaks car stereo, he and the owner are hams. they should be able to"hook" you up.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »

Just do it.  It isn't rocket science, no one is going to hold your hand.

Chewing gum, velcro, Cherry rivets, nails and plywood....whatever.

It's just a car that will be razor blades in 15 years.

Don't be afraid to jump in and do something.  You may change your mind for a better way in a month but that is ok.    GL,  Bill
I see the same things here week after week too.  It seems no  one wants to commit "radio suicide" or something.  I find myself visiting eHam less and less while the questions get dumber.  Whatever happened to asking a local "elmer" first?

My first install was a 2mtr and a 10mtr hamsticks on a 1 inch square metal tube across the front of my pickup truck bed.  Was it perfect?  No.  Did it work for me at the time?  Yes!

Mike
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »

The two best tools one can have before attempting a mobile installation are skill and imagination. You need imagination to picture what you want and how to get it and you need the skill to actually go from concept to finished product. Each vehicle/radio/desire is different. there is no such thing as a "how to" manual for a specific vehicle but only an idea of how someone else did it. You may not want to do the same thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: